The Man Utd Thread

7 hours ago, 5R7 said:

but-why.gif

Apparently Williams is seen more as a right back and switched to left back in the youth team as Ethan Laird is meant to be the better right back.

So Telles would be decent competition/depth for Shaw. I have no idea who is meant to be better but I know Telles is more about the attacking side which if we're honest, isn't exactly a strength for Shaw.

We then have AWB and presumably Williams as right back options with Fosu-Mensah seen as extra cover for any position in defence of needed while Dalot doesn't actually exist.

From what I've seen, Reguilon would have been a much better signing than Telles, but I don't really know much about either. I guess this season we'll see more of both of them, with Reguilon at Spurs and Telles at PSG. 

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, spork said:

Apparently Williams is seen more as a right back and switched to left back in the youth team as Ethan Laird is meant to be the better right back.

That was sorta my point, if williams went to left back, as laird is better. And, when he played there he looked decent, AND gave shaw the kick up the arse he needed, why, then  would he get switched back to RB, and block lairds path?

And Dalot...yeah...thats an odd one, i mean, he has had injuries galore, but, do we keep him and hope that improves, or will he become another phil jones.

which reminds me, why are we not keeping smalling? but, not selling him... he turned out to be one of the best defenders in seri A last season, no small feat! why not keep him and actually play him!

2 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

That was sorta my point, if williams went to left back, as laird is better. And, when he played there he looked decent, AND gave shaw the kick up the arse he needed, why, then  would he get switched back to RB, and block lairds path?

And Dalot...yeah...thats an odd one, i mean, he has had injuries galore, but, do we keep him and hope that improves, or will he become another phil jones.

which reminds me, why are we not keeping smalling? but, not selling him... he turned out to be one of the best defenders in seri A last season, no small feat! why not keep him and actually play him!

Next you'll be asking why we haven't had a property right winger for several years!

I don't begrudge the Smalling sale - I see that as something for the player's benefit rather than the club's.  It's obvious he wants to leave, so why keep a player who doesn't want to be here.  He also deserves some understanding from the club as he has been a decent servent for us, at times he was excellent, at others he's been left out of the side but you never hear about him causing any trouble.  He's found a team he can play in at Roma, so we should let him go.  It's another of the frustrations in this transfer window that the club are dithering over the transfer, trying to squeeze an extra £1m out of Roma for no particular reason.  It gets lost in the many other things we've done wrong this window, but it does annoy me.  Let the man go!  Also, see if he can take Andreas Pereira with him.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, feltmonkey said:

You can't really blame him for that. He nearly saved it, which would have been pretty amazing. 

im a bit behind, my comment was about his shocking pass!

2 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

Haha fair enough. 

That header from Lindelof was shocking. De Gea rode his luck getting us out of trouble. Palace are miles better than us at the moment. This is worrying. 

they've played two actual games, and had presaseon.

we just look out of it.

Dan James is just not good enough. He's found himself in some good positions, but his final is almost always garbage. His shots and crosses are always scruffy and lack any real conviction. Greenwood on plz.

One or two of our players haven't even looked like functional footballers. The right side isn't working, Fosu-Mensa keeps panicking and giving the ball away. Pogba is fannying about. Martial can't get his feet sorted out. McTominay is trying as hard as he always does, but his limited ability to pass the ball is causing big problems in the middle. Even Bruno has been ineffective. 

We have dominated the ball since about the 20th minute, but if we carry on the same we absolutely will not score. We are not clicking at all - there's no cohesion, no understanding between the players, no sharpness, no creativity. I think @5R7hit the nail on the head when he said we look like we've had no preseason and don't look ready for this game.