The Man Utd Thread

Seems unclear whether we paid off the rest of his contract? Does seem like Sanchez is interested in continuing to play football to a high level (judging by the pay cut), and not just rot on our bench earning a fat wage, so I would guess we met him somewhere in the middle.

Now we can move forward with the Sancho transfer, nice and efficiently like City have just done with Torres and Ake.

Oh wait, I forgot we’ve got Woodward running things. <_<

Here's a video to savour - all our penalties this season.  :lol:

The first one at Norwich, and the one against Villa were never penalties, but every other one is completely nailed on.  We missed loads of them before Fernandes started taking them.

• Upvote 2

The Sanchez saga is so strange, though.  How do you learn lessons from that?  Before he came to us he had been one of the best players in the league.  He seemed enthusiastic and keen to succeed in his early games.  Why did it all go so wrong?  It's not like there were obvious massive potential problems with the transfer at the time.  There were some small worries - he was 28, so in his peak, and could only really decline, but huge pace wasn't really part of his game.  His wages were far too high, but that shouldn't mean he was doomed to fail on the pitch.  If he'd scored 20 goals a season for us since he signed, no-one would mention his wages - it only becomes a massive issue in light of his failure on the pitch.  There was also the issue that he wanted to play in the same position as two of our best players in Martial and Rashford.  No huge red flags, though.

Why did he fail on the pitch?  He always looked rushed and gave the ball away a lot, but he kind of did that at Arsenal too, except there he also regularly scored spectacular goals, drove the whole team forward, and for a couple of years there got the team to the top four almost single-handedly.  His high-energy style, lead more by passion than tactical intelligence was a positive rather than a negative.  At United, he never seemed to be vaguely on the same wavelength as any other player.  Some of the time they seemed to be looking at him and wondering what the fuck he was doing.  He looked not like the world-class player he had arguably been at Arsenal, but actually a really bad player.  A liability.  Perhaps he was being asked to do something completely different to what he was used to?  Or did it just not click, perhaps through luck and incompatibilty with other players, and maybe a decline in his own ability.   I think at a certain point he lost interest, and without that passion and all-action style he was half the player.

He shouldn't have failed, but I don't think I can remember another player we've signed who has failed more completely.

On the Sanchez lessons thing - I understand what you're saying, and without being involved it's hard to know what happened. But I don't think such a spectacular and lasting implosion could be just 'bad luck'. And I hope in future those in charge of such things don't throw such spectacular wages at any player whose mindset is not proven to fit the Man U mould, whose too old to easily change that mindset, and whose position is already well covered.

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

@feltmonkey Didn't Sanchez's form drop quite a bit in his last season (or few months) with Arsenal? I could be misremembering, of course.

I thought his form was sporadic for the previous half a season or so. I think most people put it down to him not being happy. 

I think the morale of the story is to not go into ridiculous bidding wars with your rich rival in a vain attempt at one upmanship. Would inevitably lead to a bad ending. 

5 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

How do you learn lessons from that?

Don't drive a bus through your wage structure for one player, don't offer them a long contract if they're 28 and there are any questions around their form and fitness, and therefore a potential lack of resale value. Those seem like good lessons. Oh, and don't get so excited about gazumping your rivals that you prioritise this over making sensible improvements to your squad. We desperately needed an option on the right, and had depth on the left, so Mahrez (who we didn't even seem to make enquiries about) would've been a much more sensible signing. But that wouldn't have been a "statement".

I remember his form dropped considerably but it was considered a side effect of a dysfunctional Arsenal squad. It reminds me of when Liverpool sold Torres, he had been crap for us for a bit, but Chelsea bought him for £50m thinking taking him out of a poor Liverpool side would bring him back to his previous form.

Both players never really did. They have something in common that they had both played a shit load of football by the time they were in their late 20s. I think sometimes football played is a better gauge of longevity, rather than age. Basically they were both knackered by 28.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, spork said:

Bluster I say!

It does look like he's staying, unless we do the deal exactly on Dortmund's terms. I think Woodward is in a bit of a tough spot - if he gives in and pays the price they're asking, then there will be the perception that he's a bad negotiator and that United are desperate. If he holds out for a lower price and Dortmund don't budge, then that's egg on his face too obviously. I guess in that case, we'll be in for him again in January / next summer but he could've signed a new contract by then, or other clubs could be in for him of course. Plus we would probably need to sign another forward anyway.

He's one of the best young players in the world, and he's English. So probably Dortmund are right to hold out for a massive fee tbh, plus they are not in any desperate need to sell. He will likely be worth as much, if not more a year or two from now.

5 minutes ago, JamesTW said:

Why do you want Sancho? I know he’s good but isn’t that your strongest position(s) that you’ve already got sorted, no? 

No, unless you expect an 18 year old (who is arguably better as the main striker) to be playing every game next season.