The Man Utd Thread

Because City find out a club's asking price, and pay it whatever it is.  It's easy for them as they have an unlimited supply of money and are now excempt from FFP.  We prefer to find out an asking price, then spend months going round in circles trying to be clever, before eventually paying slightly over the original asking price.  Preferably too late for the player to participate in pre-season.  Sometimes we like to piss around so much the player signs for someone else or just decides to stay.  It's just how we do things.

• Upvote 7

Seems like a lot of usually reliable journos think we're signing Raul Jimenez. Fairly sensible transfer if so? Ighalo has only ever played in less important games or when Martial absolutely had to be rested. Would make sense that Ole wants a striker that he can actually rotate with Martial and provide some genuine competition.

9 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

Because City find out a club's asking price, and pay it whatever it is.

I think that used to be the case. I don't feel like they just identify targets and pay whatever is needed to get them anymore. Sure their budget is plainly huge but there does seem to be a degree of effort to get value for money. Every now and then you feel they get a player at a reasonable price. I don't think the fee for Ake is unreasonable tbh. Seems they give themselves a couple of options most of the time, and you often don't know about a move until after the deal is done. Our business often seems to be discussed openly in the media in advance.

I'm obviously not a Utd fan but the idea of Jimenez coming in to provide competition for Martial made me laugh. He would be your undisputed first choice no. 9 with Martial and Rashford competing for minutes on the left and Greenwood on the right. The guy is twice the striker that Martial is.

11 hours ago, Stevie said:

City just signed Ake, why can’t we be that efficient?

Tbf when was the last time you tried to sign a relegated player? It usually happens pretty smoothly as it’s often a pretty beneficial deal for all parties.

1 hour ago, Swallow said:

I'm obviously not a Utd fan but the idea of Jimenez coming in to provide competition for Martial made me laugh. He would be your undisputed first choice no. 9 with Martial and Rashford competing for minutes on the left and Greenwood on the right. The guy is twice the striker that Martial is.

He has really kicked on this season, maybe your view is a little out of date? Probably our best player right now besides Fernandes. I meant "competition" in the sense that, yeah depending on form either could easily be the regular starter. I agree, he's a hell of a player. I'm wondering if the whole story is bullshit now though tbh, seems like it came from the state broadcaster in Portugal and they apparently don't typically deal in rumour, but it was a bit of a footnote in a larger story about who Wolves are trying to sign.

On 29/07/2020 at 16:48, Liamness said:

I do think we need to sign another attacker, preferably someone who can play on the right, and brings more in creative terms than the forwards we have. Rashford, Martial and Greenwood are all strikers really - they're good in the build-up but that's not really their main thing. Sancho ticks all these boxes. Also he's just quality, I suspect he would help the players around him kick on a level, just like Fernandes has.

I don't want us to smash our transfer record signing him though. Maybe just... gently break it. We should explore alternatives, even ones that would maybe only add depth instead of maybe being transformative.

No other areas of the squad jump out to me as desperately needing investment. We're maybe too reliant on Matic? Fred looked great playing in a deep-lying role before the restart though, and while McTominay currently looks better playing in a more box-to-box role, he's got plenty of time to adapt to a more disciplined role. I think making a signing and then never playing those two would be a bit pointless.

Long term Matic replacement is still a concern for me but that might have to wait depending on the Sancho deal. 

I’m still not happy with the full back options so if there’s a way to improve there I’m all for it!

I've been saying a dm for months! Some people think I'm mad! Glad I'm not the only one.

Really, I think there are only a couple options, and apparently one isn't interested. Sandro tonali, who apparently ain't interested, or florentino Luis, both young and play the dm position, although Luis is more defensive of the two.

6 hours ago, Trigg said:

I’m still not happy with the full back options so if there’s a way to improve there I’m all for it!

Shaw has been good this season. Wan-Bisakka is a complete rock at the back. Brandon Williams (who has just signed a new 4+1 year deal) seems like a good enough option for cover on both sides, and potentially a starter depending on how he improves - he is only 19. I don't think the back line needs touching tbh, we have one of the best defensive records in the league. AWB could be more productive in attack, sure. I'd rather see us try to coach him in this area rather than make a signing - this is only his first season playing in a team that spends so much time on the front foot, after all.

2 hours ago, Liamness said:

Shaw has been good this season. Wan-Bisakka is a complete rock at the back. Brandon Williams (who has just signed a new 4+1 year deal) seems like a good enough option for cover on both sides, and potentially a starter depending on how he improves - he is only 19. I don't think the back line needs touching tbh, we have one of the best defensive records in the league. AWB could be more productive in attack, sure. I'd rather see us try to coach him in this area rather than make a signing - this is only his first season playing in a team that spends so much time on the front foot, after all.

Hmmm,  for me Shaw is average at best, he's also so blood wasteful going forward. The same can be said for AWB too, for a 'former winger' he sure does get a nose bleed when he passes the half way line. Great one on one defensively but you need more than from your fullbacks these days. Williams and Dalot I'm fine with as alternatives. 

Wait till Sancho (if/when he signs) has to work with AVB on combinations on the right wing, he'll have a shock!

@ckny Yeah, a center half would be useful too. One that doesn't have a turning circle of a bus preferably ;) I love Bailly as a player, he's always on the edge of injuring himself or someone else. If he can stay fit, and that's a big if - he'd be my preferred partner for Maguire I think.

2 hours ago, Liamness said:

Ethan Laird is also meant to be really good (apparently Williams used to play as RB but moved to the left as Laird was ahead of him in that position) and will hopefully get some game time in the upcoming Europa matches. Williams had a rough game against Chelsea but had been a surprise gem pretty much whenever he played before lockdown and at one point some fans were calling for him to be our first choice LB.

According to media and rumours we are after a RW (Sancho), a more attacking/versatile CM (Grealish if Villa come down on their £80 million demands) so that we have some flexibility without having to play Pogba and Bruno every game and a CB with lots of young foreign names being thrown about as who we are interested in.

We are also interested in Donny Van De Beek from Ajax and it seems like it's either him or Grealish but with Sanchez and his massive wages going, there might be a chance we go for both.

On 25/05/2020 at 18:58, dizogg said:

You won’t get either. Certainly not Werner! 

Also you’ll never close the gap with OGS as your manager.

Care to enlighten us all on the Sancho transfer stuff please? Could do with another pearl of wisdom from you!

• Upvote 1

I'm very happy with Maguire and Lindelof as the first choice centre backs. I think to get better we'd need to spend stupid money. Again, our defensive record this season is fantastic. I think if we want to improve on that, it would be better to focus on how the team is defending as a unit. Plus if we improve our attack, that means less pressure on the defence too.

@spork Don't tempt fate, it's not done yet!

@ckny Yeah I saw that too a few days ago, dissapointing. He could've just stayed with us and asked for a loan. Maybe once he was a free agent, there was less interest than he was expecting and he had to rethink things. I think he would've been best off trying to join a mid-table La Liga side personally.

1 hour ago, spork said:

Care to enlighten us all on the Sancho transfer stuff please? Could do with another pearl of wisdom from you!

That’s cute that you saved it :lol:

Congratulations on being on the verge of winning the transfer cup! When’s the open top bus parade?

4 minutes ago, dizogg said:

That’s cute that you saved it :lol:

Congratulations on being on the verge of winning the transfer cup! When’s the open top bus parade?

Nah, just searched for Werner. I only asked because you were so sure before. :sherlock:

17 hours ago, Trigg said:

Hmmm,  for me Shaw is average at best, he's also so blood wasteful going forward. The same can be said for AWB too, for a 'former winger' he sure does get a nose bleed when he passes the half way line. Great one on one defensively but you need more than from your fullbacks these days. Williams and Dalot I'm fine with as alternatives.

Nah, the West Ham home game showed the difference when Shaw isn't in the team. He's more assured than any of our other fullbacks at breaking out of the press and actually taking the ball forward and progressing the play. West Ham were content for Williams and AWB to have the ball knowing they possess little threat, which allowed them to stay more compact in the middle of the pitch and nullify Fernandes. Shaw is much more of a threat - the opposition can't just sit off him so he opens up space for all our other attackers.

• Upvote 2

Shaw as a threat is just laughable to me. He delivery is piss poor. I don’t see how Shaw would have made much of a difference in that game if I’m honest. He might have found himself in some space but he’d had only hit the first man or cut it back to nobody. *shrug* 

Noticed we were linked with Alex Telles yesterday too. So maybe it’s not too far fetched to think we can improve that position. 

I've got for the monthly BT Sport pass, so I can watch the final stages of both european competitions. Just watching the game between our two potential opponents (assuming we can survive the onslaught later tonight from the mighty LASK). Audio is massively out of sync. Should've just found a stream, obviously.

Interested to see what this team can do, it’s a full set of reserves ( well, apart from Harry ), hopefully some of them will be wanting to try and force A way through to the first team.

9 minutes ago, Liamness said:

Lingard continues his hot streak.

edit - and he's off! Bit rough that from Solskjaer I think.

He wasn’t supposed to score, means giving him the boot will be harder :p