rllmuk
Pixelbark

The Man Utd Thread

3 minutes ago, bradigor said:

The "We were in it until the last kick" stuff from the weekend must have been excruciating as United fans. 

I couldn't even honestly tell you which part of this whole debacle is most excruciating. I can't even bring myself to blame Ole, and I can't blame the players out there. Just...a whole pile of depressing shit all round.

Just now, Gabzy said:

I couldn't even honestly tell you which part of this whole debacle is most excruciating. I can't even bring myself to blame Ole, and I can't blame the players out there. Just...a whole pile of depressing shit all round.

Oh, you can't blame Ole. But he should never have been put in this position by those above him. He isn't ready for such a big job. 

Our record for the season is played 24, won 9, drawn 7, lost 8.  That's appalling.  Nowhere near good enough, even taking into account the transitional nature of the season and the fact that we are playing a lot of young players.  I still support Ole and think he's generally doing the right things, but he needs help.  Why can't we defend set pieces, for example?  Nearly half our goals conceded this season have been from set pieces.  We're the worst in the league at that.  It's the manager's job to sort that out.  

The fans who went off to build and support FCUM when the Glazers took over were right. They knew. The rest of us are now left with nothing to support.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Stevie said:

If we don’t make any signings then I’m out. I don’t want to follow this trainwreck anymore.

This is where I'm at.

All this talk of supporting Ole from the board etc just seems to be lip service.

• Upvote 1

I think the key signing we need is a tactical/set piece defensive coach!

whats tony pulis doing these days, he knows how to organise a defence!

Crazy but I genuinely think Pulis would get better results than Ole. Unattractive but I bet they would be in that 4th spot.

The current situation is entirely of Glazer/Woodward's making. Just look at the squad, the 18 players we had last night. Jones, Martial, Fred, Matic, Pereira, Mata and James all started - none are good enough to play for Manchester United.

Ole's pulled off some good results this season. We've beaten all of the top teams bar Liverpool, outplaying them all and some really good tactical performances with the personnel we have available.

We all know the Pogba situation isn't what we're being told. Is he a toxic influence? Probably.

I don't know if Ole is the right man for the top job, but I do know he isn't being given the tools to make a success of himself. How are we on January 23rd and not made a signing?

The hardest thing for me is the incredible inconsistency. It's not as if we're a mid table team where you expect to get beat by the big teams and beat the smaller ones. You just literally have no idea what to expect against anybody. I wouldn't have been surprised if Norwich had turned us over the other week, and we go on to win 4-0.

It's all so fucking depressing.

4 hours ago, DC Lemon said:

The fans who went off to build and support FCUM when the Glazers took over were right. They knew. The rest of us are now left with nothing to support.

Despite the successes at the end of Fergie's era, this is entirely correct.  There has been a steady downward trajectory since the Glazers took over, just as we expected at the time. 

The chickens are now coming home to roost, because they've tried everything in the book - youngish but experienced british manager, highly experienced but old continental manager, ridiculously succesful hardline manager, and now inexperienced young manager who's a club legend.  Every single move has been a fucking disaster, and all essentially for the same reason.

None of those managers have been fully backed by the owners.  They've all been restricted from signing players they wanted, and handed players that they didn't really ask for.  They've also all been prevented from binning off players that aren't good enough.

Nothing at United will change under the current ownership unless they change their approach to recruitment.  But that won't change because it doesn't need to for them to get what they want, which is to continue extracting vast sums of money out of the club.  As long as they continue to get rich despite the club performing like shit, they'll change nothing.

• Upvote 2

i hate to say it, but id almost love for one of them Saudis to step up and buy  the club.

Heck, do that and keep woodward on, in the commercial side of the club only, where he does seem to know what he doing!?

once the glazers are gone and the debt with them, the club would bring in enough on its own without investment to actually buy decent players each season...although, i wouldn't say no to some investment in the training ground, the key club infrastructure, fixing old trafford...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

13 minutes ago, ckny said:

The current situation is entirely of Glazer/Woodward's making. Just look at the squad, the 18 players we had last night. Jones, Martial, Fred, Matic, Pereira, Mata and James all started - none are good enough to play for Manchester United.

This kind of hyperbole doesn't help to be honest.

Martial had an off day, sure, missed a couple of good chances, but I also watched him make a lot of good runs that just weren't found by the players behind him, which is why he ended up dropping deeper and deeper.  Fred has actually been decent this season (him playing like this in a 3 with Herrera and Pogba could have been something). James is young and has a lot of potential - it's the fact he's starting nearly every game due to our lack of wide options that is the issue. Pereira again should just be a squad player at this point.

We need a wide player, some creativity in midfield and another centre forward who can give us the option of playing more direct when up against low blocks. Defence is decent (second lowest good chances conceded in the league was a stat I read the other day) and gives us a good base to build from at least.

1 minute ago, 5R7 said:

i hate to say it, but id almost love for one of them Saudis to step up and buy  the club

No no no. I'll never watch the team again if this happens.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Marlowe said:

This kind of hyperbole doesn't help to be honest.

I disagree. Would any of the players I named get in a Liverpool, City, Barcelona, Juventus, PSG side? Of course not.

The recruitment has been shambolic for a long time. Who was the last player we signed that you can point to and say was an unmitigated success?

• Upvote 1

People who are saying they're out, I wouldn't go that far. I'll support the club forever, through thick and thin. It's painful to see what those parasites are doing but as the song says, "love United, hate Glaziers." 

It's a strange situation. Woodward and the Glaziers are the common factor in this decline, but we have spent eye-watering amounts of money. There's certainly incompetence. Is there a lack of intent?  There seems to be little appetite to do what is necessary to fix things, and zero idea how to go about it.

One problem seems to be a perception that just spending money is enough, rather than genuinely trying to sign the right players. We miss out on the player that would be right, and end up taking a gamble on someone else, often overpaying without doing the right research. Other clubs (Man City) identify a player and go and get them. We get weird hail mary signings like Di Maria, Falcao, Sanchez, and nearly Dybala which seem to happen without the manager's input. But we do spend the money. It's just that almost every single signing ends in disaster. Our best signing since Ferguson left is arguably Fellaini. 

3 hours ago, 5R7 said:

i hate to say it, but id almost love for one of them Saudis to step up and buy  the club.

Great, so we can become the biggest and ugliest sportswashing campaign of them all? I don't think it's going to happen anyway - the story that leaked a while back was just to test public opinion, and the response was very negative.

The money isn't the issue. The lack of long term planning is. Other clubs get in front of potential problems, and try to build squads with depth and balance. We don't. That's why we're only a couple of points above clubs like Wolves, Sheffield United and Southamption, who all have a fraction of the resources we do. Despite this, it wouldn't surprise me if one of more of them are above us by the season's end - particularly Southamption who have hit a real hot streak. Compared to those clubs, we invest reactively, and create a media circus every time. The latest example is the Fernandes debacle - Lisbon's owners know what running a football club is like, they know the fans will be right up the Glazers' and Woodward's backs if we don't sign him. We're trying to sign a crucial first team player in January, with essentially no-one to play there if a deal can't be made, and few alternatives we could pursue. It's such a weak position to be in, and it's the result of years of there being no leadership or vision on the sporting side.

I honestly could live with us being a mid table team (maybe I'm being a bit dramatic - but we're not far off), if our position wasn't the result of expensive and haphazard recruitment and poor coaching. If we had an average group of players stretched to the maximum of their abilities, collectively more than the sum of their parts, that would be a step down from our recent past of course, but it would be much more bearable. Obviously if you are only a fan when your club is winning trophy after trophy, then you are not really a fan. But when the ownership of a club is either uninterested in sporting success, or just completely incompetent, I do think that it's much harder to find that excitement and passion in following them.

The sooner we hit the bottom, the better, because then the glazers wont want the club as it wont make money, and somebody that does might be able to step in! So, 30 years till we win the league again?

hell, it wouldn't be so bad if we were at least playing good football!

11 hours ago, teddymeow said:

This is where I'm at.

All this talk of supporting Ole from the board etc just seems to be lip service.

Yup. Our squad is paper thin and lack the quality needed to compete for anything. We didn't replace Lukaku and we didn't replace Herrera, and were not strengthening our squad even though we desperately need it. Why should fans invest in the club when the owners wont?

7 hours ago, 5R7 said:

I would love owners who put money into the club instead of just taking money out of it. Take a look at City, their B team alone would comfortably qualify for top 4 while we are betting all our money on Rashford. 

24 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

No Bruno Fernandes then. Joel Glazer has said he's not worth the money.

The Glazers turning a positive into a negative, again. 

37 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

No Bruno Fernandes then. Joel Glazer has said he's not worth the money.

I had to double check that...WTAF!?!?! - https://www.givemesport.com/1540698-bruno-fernandes-move-to-man-utd-is-off-after-joel-glazers-intervention

They need to get the fuck out, they clearly have no intention of real investment!

He has an excellent record, wanted to come, and yes was a little pricey, but, not astronomical!

I would take any stories that refer to the specifics of internal discussions / decision making at the club with a healthy amount of salt. I also don't think that sharing that sort of thing is going to help the club become less of a soap opera.

33 minutes ago, Liamness said:

I would take any stories that refer to the specifics of internal discussions / decision making at the club with a healthy amount of salt. 

Especially when the source is goal.com!

53 minutes ago, JPL said:

I’ll bet Pete Brant’s remaining bollock that we don’t sign anyone this window.

I'll bet Pete Bran't remaining bollock that we WILL sign someone this window. :quote:

18 minutes ago, JPL said:

Bothwick-Jackson has gone on loan to Oldham. The clear out continues!

Still no sign of anyone coming in, eh @spork?

Tell that to @PeteBrant! Still another week to go though.