rllmuk
Pixelbark

The Man Utd Thread

Against a woeful Norwich team. He has no drive, he's terrible at passing, his shots have no power, he's awful in the air for a CDM, he gives the ball away in dangerous areas on a regular basis and he seems to have no pace or physical strength.

12 recoveries you say? I can't really remember one where I thought, "wow that was fantastic."

He's not good enough for us.

The fixation on strikers is a bit annoying me, i think it’s outdated. The lone centre forward goal poacher who can hold the ball up. With fullbacks that provide crosses and wide forwards that come inside, and no.9s like Firmino that float around and feed other attackers. 

Rashford can just operate as Salah and Mane do. There’s never been any fret about Liverpool’s front three has there? Even when Firmino goes through a long dry spell. I watched a video of Mane’s 50 liverpool goals the other day, one after another, Liverpool just overwhelm in the final third as city do allowing those bursts of pace and attacking. They’re assured goals rather than scraps, like the inevitable result of applying pressure. 

Liverpool don’t even have a strong midfield  with truly outstanding midfielders which is contrary to thinking it’s vital to being a winning side. The front players just aren’t isolated, the ball fed to them more frequently, more quickly, the whole side pressing from the front, being altogether quicker. Not always, but both liverpool and city can look energised, like they have an extra player. 

The Liverpool game was taken by the media as really promising but it seemed like a familiar committed performance against a top side that had grit and tenacity but attacks were fleeting. (Not like Liverpool offered anything). It’s easier to destroy than create..i’d much rather be a side that scored freely and leaked goals than one where shots on target are rare. Like Chelsea seem like they’re in a really good place when their young players are often scoring hat tricks. 

Happy about some goals finally.

The goals Rashford and Martial scored today were sexy as fuck. Those two and Dan James look a genuinely decent front three.  We need a bit of a confidence-boosting run, but maybe with Martial back now we can start moving in the right direction. 

I didn't know about the Martial win % under Solskjaer, Rashford needs someone to play off and the way they link up find each other is exactly why Lukaku was sold. 4-2-1-3, Fred, Mctominay, Pogba ahead, Rashford, Martial, James would be my preferred formation to be the norm for a while. 

33 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

I'm alarmed by all these reports that we're planning on signing Thomas Muller. He hasn't had a decent season since 2015/2016.

Wouldn't worry too much until the more reliable sources start talking about it, although his last decent season was more recent than ours! 

Can we all just spare a moment and thank whoever created Scotty McTommers? Very quickly becoming one of my favourites. Future captain for sure.

• Upvote 1

Guess it's pretty much a must win really for ole at the moment. Still nice to see young academy prospects like Williams and Lingard in the line up!

We're playing wing-backs against two very good out and out wingers in Pulisic and Hudson-Odoi. That could be a problem tactically, especially as they are their best two players. Either our wing-backs will push them back, or will have to play as full-backs and we'll lose any kind of threat from out wide. 

28 minutes ago, spork said:

Guess it's pretty much a must win really for ole at the moment. Still nice to see young academy prospects like Williams and Lingard in the line up!

He's 26.

So many penalties this season.  If we were any good at them we'd be dangerous.  I'm not convinced that was one.  He's bundled into, but I think James was looking for it and went down easily.