rllmuk
Pixelbark

The Man Utd Thread

Wan-Bissaka has been excellent. Fast, combative, good tackling.

Pogba looking like he can't be fucked as usual. Rather do tricks than anything particular productive.

Good game this.

Martial looks transformed by having the number 9 shirt back. 

I have serious worries about our midfield. Pereira is hiding and doesn't want the ball, and McTominay (and I know we all love him because he tries hard) doesn't look great so far.

Matic on for Pereira and James on for Lingard would be the changes I'd make. We need someone who's a big presence in the middle to shield the defence, and for all his reduced mobility, Matic should still be able to do that. James because he's excellent defensively, so would help shore up that left side where we look vulnerable. Obviously his pace would be handy when we win the ball back, too.

Maguire and Wan-Bissaka have been very good. 

4 minutes ago, ckny said:

Stream, anyone?

Hesgoal.com

Very poor first half that, except for the 10-15 minute spell in the middle. Our midfield looks terrible and I can’t see us scoring anywhere near enough goals with the strikers we’ve got. It should be 3-1 to Chelsea.

• Upvote 1

I assume Lampard will get them better organised after the break. Chelsea's passing was quite slick before the goal, and the pressing very well coordinated. They've got a couple of young players who've never been in a game like this, it's understandable that their level might drop after a goal goes in against the run of play.

So I kind of assume they'll have a better second half, which is concerning, because we're already quite lucky to be ahead really. Our forward play is energetic and direct but we're losing the ball a lot, and therefore not really probing Chelsea for extended periods. I don't see the balance in this side - Shaw is more involved in the attack than Wan-Bissaka, but also getting less help defensively on that flank. Pogba is too deep. I'm not sure what Pereira is bringing.

9 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

Matic on for Pereira and James on for Lingard would be the changes I'd make.

The loss of Herrera without bringing in a replacement could seriously hurt us this season. I wonder if we should be looking at McTominay as the guy who fills that gap, rather than being someone who sits deep. Matic and McTominay would be quite a functional pairing in midfield I suppose, but probably all the better to give Pogba more freedom. Someone is going to need to drive forward and help Rashford and Martial out in attack.

3 minutes ago, Bleeders said:

We haven’t been great, but Maguire and Wan-Bisakka have acquitted themselves quite well in that first half.

Yeah, they’ve been decent. It’s all the other areas of the squad that Ed couldn’t be arsed sorting out that’s the worry.