rllmuk
Pixelbark

The Man Utd Thread

2 hours ago, Bleeders said:

Sorry for the negativity, but I’m so disheartened with the Club because there is no tangible change happening.

What are you talking about, we got a much better defense now. I’m way more optimistic now that we have Bissaka and Maguire. I say we have a fair chance of making top 4.

Our crap defense cost us top 4 last season, but we got Bissaka now :wub:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Stevie said:

What are you talking about, we got a much better defense now. I’m way more optimistic now that we have Bissaka and Maguire. I say we have a fair chance of making top 4.

Our crap defense cost us top 4 last season, but we got Bissaka now :wub:

I wish I shared your optimism, but we’re reliant on a number of factors to propel us into those top places.

Ideally, we need either or both of Rashford/Martial to break the 20 goal barrier this season. Something neither have done yet to my knowledge. I also fear we’re over-reliant on Pogba, a player who doesn’t really want to be here and we are a couple of injuries away from being in a bad spot.

Yes, we have the young lads and I look forward to us giving them a chance, but I wonder if it’s too much too soon for them with no experience to help ease their transition into the starting eleven.

We’ll see soon enough though.

Yeah, it could go either way. As long as we play proper attacking football I’ll be happy. OGS has said the rebuilding is going to take time so we will have to wait and see. As long as we show steady progress then I’m onboard.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Bleeders said:

Ideally, we need either or both of Rashford/Martial to break the 20 goal barrier this season. Something neither have done yet to my knowledge.

Neither have played a whole season as the main striker either.

Basically we need all of our front 3/4 players to step up and score goals and provide assists. Martial, Rashford, James, Greenwood, Chong, Lingard, Mata, Gomes and even Sanchez (lol). Lots of potential goals in there, especially if they actually move about and make runs behind defenders.

6 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Imagine if Sanchez suddenly got his shit together and started scoring. What a trip that would be. 

The one that smashed 30 goals in a season at Arsenal would be nice.

4 minutes ago, Bleeders said:

The one that smashed 30 goals in a season at Arsenal would be nice.

It is entirely possible :ph34r:

That's what we're putting our faith in?

Perhaps if Martial and Rashford score 20 goals each, perhaps if Sanchez suddenly rediscovers his form, perhaps if McTominay and Perera become top class Premier League midfielders overnight, perhaps if Fred mysteriously starts to resemble a £50m player...

Perhaps if Lingard gets bitten by a radioactive spider, that would be good.

well 2.5 hours to go, that's likely it then. This new transfer window is rubbish and cant believe theyve carried on after last year. Wheres my midnight fax machine dramas?

58 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

perhaps if future captain McTominay stays a top class Premier League midfielder

fixed that for you :quote:

1 hour ago, feltmonkey said:

That's what we're putting our faith in?

Were not fighting for any trophies this season and probably not the next either so lets just pause and get real for a moment.  We are currently rebuilding and as the gaffer has said, it will take time. Yes the situation is not ideal and our midfield is weak but our defense is much much stronger.  And if we continue to play high and produce chances like we have been doing, we will score goals.

Top 4 is doable with this team, so yeah lets put our faith in the lads and the boss. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

I do not understand selling Lukaku at all unless you guys have some sort of last minute madness signing, but who?

I think it's more he didn't really fit in with the way Ole wants to play. That and him fawning over Conte and being a bit of a twat going into pre season.

Not buying anyone to replace him is probably a bit of an oversight that we will probably regret at some point, but I guess the hope now is that the youth players will come good in our new high pressing setup.

• Upvote 2

We're possibly playing Martial up front.  I'm happy with the prospect of Gomez, Greenwood, James, and Chong getting plenty of game-time, even if it means top four is out of reach.  I'd rather that than we sign Llorente or Mandzukic and pay them a silly amount to slow down moves.  To be fair, Mandzukic would fit fairly well into a pressing team due to his work-rate, but at 33 there's limited point in splurging £14m on a transfer fee and £150k+ a week on wages for him when we can give the kids a chance.

I think Woodward has had a pretty poor window, but I still have faith in Ole.  Woodward has completely failed to realise the extent of the rebuilding job that is required.  two or three players a season - one big one, one middling one, one cheap one - is nowhere near enough at the moment.  Doing it half-arsed means that we go backwards, as the decent players we have become disillusioned and the rubbish players drag them down to their level.  There's a huge amount of damage that Mourinho caused that still needs to be fixed.  He makes players worse, not better, and he did a number on quite a few of ours.  As I say though, I still have faith in Ole.  Hopefully he can get the players playing attacking football with a smile on their face.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

As I say though, I still have faith in Ole.  Hopefully he can get the players playing attacking football with a smile on their face.

This is how I feel as well. I know we can’t read much into it, but they seem to have had a decent pre-season, so I just hope that carries over. We have made decent signings, but we needed more and I think the squad is too thin, but let’s see what happens. At least we shouldn’t ship as many goals this season.

• Upvote 1

I'm fully willing to see where the next 2-3 years go with Ole. Unless of course we wind up finishing 12th next season.

I just can't see the point in giving Ole half a season, chucking him and bringing in another dude who will give more spiel about needing 200+300m on superstars. Rinse and repeat. Let's give Ole what SAF got back in the day. Another two or three transfer windows and our team will be really interesting. I'm excited for this season with absolute zero thought on winning trophies. Odd! 

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Seanfl9 said:

I'm excited for this season with absolute zero thought on winning trophies. Odd! 

Lots of exciting youth players and hopefully not reverting to really dull football for the first time in 6 years!

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Seanfl9 said:

I just can't see the point in giving Ole half a season, chucking him and bringing in another dude who will give more spiel about needing 200+300m on superstars. Rinse and repeat. 

This! 

I'm more nervous now than I have been in a really long time. I feel that this could be the beginning of something truly beautiful, or it could be the beginning of the end. 

This Ramazani goal is brilliant as well, but for the pass and control from the player on the wing. 

They're currently stuffing West Brom 0-5. To be honest the score could've been more, just from the exceptional first half performance from United. :D

• Upvote 2

Has anyone read Alan Shearer’s article on the BBC? I think he makes a really good point about Pogba, in that he didn’t seem bothered about admitting he thought it was time for a new challenge earlier in the summer, but not once has he come out and said he’s changed his mind, that he’s happy at United and that he wants to stay and help us improve. He’s totally right and it’s made me worried that behind the scenes he’s still waiting for Real to come and get him.

Even I’d he doesn’t leave this season, it’s pretty much guaranteed he will next year, so for us not to bother getting anyone else in seems even more stupid.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I can’t help thinking he’s still the same selfish idiot we’ve had to deal with since his return and that he only cares about himself.

• Upvote 1

I think Pogba is going to be professional about it. Hes handled this transfer window with grace compared to Lukaku. Pogba and OGS has also know each other for years, ever since Ole worked at the academy years ago. so I think Pogba will be loyal. I think they both know Pogba will end up in Madrid but not this time. 

Really looking forward to today's game. I'm both nervous and exited :omg:

No Smalling or Jones in the lineup then and they’re not even on the bench. I’ve changed my mind, our transfer business was outstanding.

• Upvote 4