rllmuk
Pixelbark

The Man Utd Thread

This is a familiar feeling isn't it? We know the squad is short in midfield, but we've fannied about and failed to get anyone in. Eriksen! As if! He said he wanted a new challenge - ie he wants to play in Spain or Italy, not move to a worse team in England. The only way it made sense to try to buy him was if we were trying to provoke Real Madrid into bidding for him so we can hold onto Pogba. Now it looks extremely likely that we will lose Pogba with no replacement coming in. By concentrating on Eriksen we've fluffed a chance to take advantage of a change of heart from Dybala as well.

We've called off moves that looked good, or just not moved quick enough on them and they've gone away. Here's what I think will happen now - Eriksen to Athletico Madrid, Fernandes to Spurs, Pogba to Real Madrid, and us panic buying someone like James Maddison for £75m. We will also sign Lorente for no apparent reason, and end up feeling obligated to pick him as second choice striker ahead of Greenwood. Lukaku will stay, but go on strike and we'll sell him for £20m in January. We're a bit shambolic. As I say, a familiar feeling.

For context I'm feeling very negative about life in general having had a terrible couple of days. Car broke down yesterday, and the engine is completely done, unrepairable. We waited for six hours to get home, with a six-year-old. And now I have no car. And we're going to go into next season with a midfield selected from Matic, Fred, McTominay, and Pereira.

• Upvote 3

It’s so disappointing, as always. Lukaku will go for sure. We’re going to be left so thin in midfield and up front. Why the hell hasn’t the Fernandes deal been made? He clearly wants to play in England. Just more ineptitude from Ed. Argh.

At least this means we are likely to see a lot more of our good youth prospects. While it would be great to get any of Eriksen/Dybala/Fernandes, we will now hopefully see a lot more of Greenwood, Chong, Gomes and Garner.

Plus a higher pressing team will only benefit the likes of Fred and Pereira. They could be like new signings :omg: 

• Upvote 1

The situation with Lukaku is getting ugly, him being fined £400,000 for being AWOL. It really shows the difference between him and Pogba on how they have handled this transfer window. 

Yeah, somebody has had some strong words with Pogba after him saying he fancied a new challenge. At least he’s shown some respect. I never would have thought it of Lukaku, but he’s acting a bit of a dick.

12 minutes ago, spork said:

Following instagram likes is the way of a true muppetier!

Listen spork!!

i need some straws here.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

For context I'm feeling very negative about life in general having had a terrible couple of days. Car broke down yesterday, and the engine is completely done, unrepairable. We waited for six hours to get home, with a six-year-old. And now I have no car. And we're going to go into next season with a midfield selected from Matic, Fred, McTominay, and Pereira.

I’m really sorry but... is your car Man Utd and the engine your minefield?

(sorry)

What I don’t get is why haven’t you come back for Toby? Figured he would be nailed on, King Erik? No chance Levy would sell him to a prem team IMO.

16 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

I’m really sorry but... is your car Man Utd and the engine your midfield?

(sorry)

It's a pretty good metaphor, yes!

In which case I should probably be installed as director of football at United because I've gone out and bought a new car. Fuck yeah! None of this Ed Woodward style messing about indecisively weighing up whether or not to make an offer for a car that seems right before getting distracted by a different car that I can't afford and wouldn't want to be driven by me anyway, while someone else walks in and buys the car I wanted in the first place. I just go "that's the right car" and I flipping buy it. If I was in charge I'd have been driving around in Bruno Fernandes for weeks already.

• Upvote 5

I'd take Longstaff for a reasonable price. I think Garner was shown up for not quite being ready in the EFL game last night.

A proper young DM who can effectively fit into the first team right away giving Matic a lot less time on the pitch doesn't seem like a terrible idea!

3 minutes ago, Nicky said:

if we sell lukaku and in replacement only bring in Mario Mandzukic as replacement i'm done.

What if we sell Lukaku and the replacement is no one? 

• Upvote 2

Madness day is upon us then... 81mil for inaki Williams apparently! I'll pass on that thanks.

And its fair to say the man utd, and English tax is a bit mad init, I mean, arsenal are looking to get tierney for 25, and rugani for 35!?

can't understand why we arnt looking to spend that 80 mil on a midfielder tho!

and I would be happy if lukakus replacement was actually chong, gomes and greenwood lol

Is Mario Mandzukic more mobile than Lukaku ? 

I was blindingly hoping we would go for Bruno Fernandes, as our midfield without Pogba doesn't look a patch on the sides that finished in the top four last season

Sorry for the negativity, but I’m so disheartened with the Club because there is no tangible change happening.

6th or 7th we’re finishing this season. That’s a best case scenario in my opinion.

We’ve improved in one area and failed to address two others. Haven’t replaced Fellaini. Haven’t replaced Herrera. Haven’t replaced Lukaku.

Obviously I hope beyond all hope we subvert expectations and do well this season, but until Ed and his paymasters fuck off, we’re doomed to repeat the same mistakes. They have no interest in doing what’s right for the club, as long as it’s making them money. 

It’s clear that they don’t intend to appoint a DOF, instead opting for a committee of a thousand, on transfers when in actual fact, the decision probably lies with Ed still anyways.

Spurs, Everton, Arsenal have all done good business over the Summer. Like OT, we’re getting left behind, investing poorly and living off past glories.

• Upvote 3

We won't get a DoF because while that would have a positive effect on the football side of things, it would have a slight negative effect on the commercial. Ed wouldn't have control over the transfers, so he wouldn't be able to veto transfers he reckoned wouldn't generate shirt sales in China. Unthinkable!

Our window has been disappointing, but at least we've improved the defence. In a way if we'd bought in a couple more attacking players and not got Maguire and Wan-Bissaka that would have been worse. I'm actually not worried about the attack, even with Lukaku going, because I reckon Dan James is excellent, and Greenwood and Gomez look ready to step up. The midfield is a huge problem, albeit less so if Pogba actually stays. A couple of injuries in that area and we're in real trouble. Although you have to remember that Liverpool did well last season with a pretty average midfield. 

We'll see what happens.

3 minutes ago, spork said:

To cheer everyone up, it sounds like Everton want Rojo! :omg:

But only on loan; our most forward thinking new players in the last three transfer windows have been another shite Brazilian and a Championship winger; where are all these players that Ole said were wanting to sign :rolleyes: