rllmuk
Pixelbark

The Man Utd Thread

We won our first pre-season match 2-0. James and Wan Bissaka looked SO damn good. As did Tuanzebe at CB, Greenwood up front and Garner scored a peach. Good start. Hoping next week we’ll have sold Lukaku and announced a CB and midfielder.

• Upvote 1

Lots of reports starting to surface that Maguire is almost done, possibly with a medical tomorrow. Reports seem to be that it is costing £60m + £20m in bonuses. While that is a lot for someone who isn't really a glamorous signing he is one of the best CB's in the league and is a massive humongous step above the likes of Smalling and Jones. Him and Lindelof should complement each other so well.

If we do actually get him, along with AWB coming in, we've probably gone from having the worst and most comedic defences in the league to one of the top few :omg:

• Upvote 3

I still think Macguire is completely the wrong choice.  De Ligt still hasn't got a transfer sorted and he's just a better player.  Macguire is only really good in a back five isn't he?  Not so good in a back four.

Maguire isn’t much of an improvement on your current choices. Not for £80m. He has mistakes in him that will be magnified playing for a big team. 

But then its its easy to be critical when you watch a team with Van Dijk at the back. 

1 hour ago, feltmonkey said:

I still think Macguire is completely the wrong choice.  De Ligt still hasn't got a transfer sorted and he's just a better player.  Macguire is only really good in a back five isn't he?  Not so good in a back four.

De Ligt doesn’t want to come to us. Why would he? No Champions League, clearly going through a period of change that will take who knows how long to fix. We could offer him the best wages in the world, it wouldn’t matter.

Maguire is a definite upgrade on Jones, Smalling, Rojo, Bailly.

• Upvote 5

I'll drive Maguire to Manchester for that £80m deal. He wasn't great for us last season although our supposed replacement is £45m Lewis Dunk, which makes me feel rather apprehensive.

I'd have loved to have De Ligt in our team (based on not a lot other than how good he is in FM 8-)) but at the same time I'm quite glad we aren't taking on another Raiola client. The fact that he was pretty much confirmed to be a Barcelona player to then be pretty much confirmed to be a PSG player to then be pretty much confirmed to be a Juve player rings alarm bells doesn't it? Especially when you also look at what Raiola has been saying in the press to try and get a move away for Pogba.

Plus De Ligt is apparently going to be earning 350k p/w and have a release clause that is low enough for when Barcelona come along in a few years. Doesn't really seem like it's worth the hassle does it?

1 hour ago, feltmonkey said:

Pretty sure Leicester often play 4 at the back don't they? Maquire (with the help of AWB) will either do the equivalent of what VVD did for Liverpools defence, or he will become a third chuckle brother with Smalling and Jones. 

If we can get Bruno in then sell a couple of the unwanted players I reckon that will be a pretty good window all things considered and if we can get a 5th player in then even better!

=thisisprobablyaweirdposthmm. ok=im not malfunctioning. There was a 5live podcast the other day talking about Ravel Morrison, if anyone heard it. He's at newly promoted Sheffield now. Mark Nolan was talking about how when at West Ham Ravel would disappear for a week, turn his phone off, then walk in like nothing had happened with a smile like a cheeky kid. Another time they went for [i think] christmas dinner as a team and he disappeared turning his phone off again.

The reason i am always on the side of players is because we know the overall balance and function of a side affects every individual, because we know every player is following instructions we aren't privy to. That we only see players casual side on social media and in club tv interviews, and the media like to use high wages to foster resentment in people to give the perception all young footballers are greedy narcissists. I always think young players are badly handled because i think most teachers are narrow minded and psychologically dense, i think 'work' is an awful word badly used, i think the emphasis should be on demanding more from yourself, being obsessive, being perfectionist, and work is just the bit inbetween needed to reach the point of more excellence and consistency. Because work emphasises the grind, conjures working in pits, of toil, when football should be fun. It's fun to be able to in one flowing movement measure the speed of the defender and take a touch of the ball inside from a long cross and guide a curler into the top corner. I always used to be on the side of players like they're the tools and the coach is the artist. That young players playing at the very top haven't found themselves there by accident.

But United play enough shit football to change anyone's mind on anything. And hearing how outstandingly talent Ravel Morrison was because he could put seasoned pros on their arse in training or score wonder volleys, i thought who gives a fuck. At every team he's ever been at he can't get a game and gets sent on loan to then still not play. People take football so seriously they and pundits in the media talk like being 10 minutes late for training is like running over the club owner's dog in the car park because they reversed their Lamborghini too recklessly. But disappearing for a week? So pundits reckon the 'penny will drop', it won't. He's 26, and might have 'found his home'. I predict he'll have one outstanding (but actually merely quite good) game from August to December, everyone will be raving about a nutmeg, a brace; one a class low finish, the other a tap in, then by March everyone will have forgotten he exists. This is probably what being inside the mind of Mourinho is like, the disgust for talent. It's more the disgust for the reverence for talent with nothing else there. Would you rather have a Ravel Morrison who does a special thing once every 4 months or a Jordan Henderson or James Milner who is a 7/10 every day.

If talent means just a natural ability it covers all aspects of the game, not just the technical parts. Wilshere was a special teenage talent but year after year couldn't work out holding on to the ball for a second longer than he should means taking impacts. If Ravel is so special he must know decision making is the most important aspect of the game. dunno what my point is. Most of the criticism of Pogba is that he doesn't care, but his style is naturally languid, and most of his poor performances have factored around his decision making, dawdling on the ball when he shouldn't, overcomplicating the play when he should keep it simple. His frustrations could be seen. He must want to be the best he can be, mark club football history, score the wining volley in a champions league final and not just put headers past Bournemouth.

And then Lukaku who is mega ambitious but also arrogant with it. Is it so much to ask for you to run around like a deranged loon like it's the last game you'll ever play? Can clubs hire a hypnotist to convince them of that before every match?

im going for a lie down.

• Upvote 2

aaah, Ravel...jesus, where do you start! i mean, lets compare him to lingard, Ravel is massively technically better than lingard...BUT...lingard, made up for his technical shortcomings, with the right mental attitude, the determination, the work rate, the desire! Ravel, had always thought his "ability" is enough, he doesn't work, he never has. He's like the kid the that got A's at GCSE, but failed at life, as he didnt learn how to put the work in.

Shit, Ryan tunnicliffe, has had a FAR better career than ravel, yes its been in the Champ,. but  its consistently been in the champ! same as Ben Pearson! they were in the same age bracket!

And now for summit different, we should sell Pogba, and buy Grealish! *waits for somebody to point out the madness in this!*

Where would I find that podcast, Loik?

I find Ravel Morrison's story incredibly sad.  He could have done anything.  He could have won the World Cup for England.  He's ended up playing reserve football in Mexico.  Now he's at Sheffield United, and much as I hope he finally starts to show what he can do, I suspect that talent is gone, he's squandered the time he should have spent learning the game.

9 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

Where would I find that podcast, Loik?

The bbc 5 live football daily podcast last Wednesday, 'Steve Bruce's Newcastle and Athletico Madrid's Kieran Trip...' About 10 minutes in. Also I've listened to the 43 minutes three times now and can't find where they talk about Trippier. 

I was reading about Cassano in Italy and he's another who could have been the best player in the world and among the greatest ever if he wasn't so wrong in the head, though maybe that gave him an extra spark in moments and curtailed any chance at consistency. But at least he played a lot. Ravel barely has. If he stayed at West Ham and we had 5 seasons, 30+ appearances from him that would be a drop from where he could be (Cassano played with the galacticos at Madrid) but if he gains consistency who knows. And that's still worthy, something. He instead fell off the map completely. 

I mean i hope Ravel does well this season, i just don't think 'talent' means anything without the mentality which everyone would agree with anyway. Harry Kane wasn't really outstanding in his teenage age group and apart from his quick powerful shot with the ball under him doesn't have anything that stands out. He i think worked on his acceleration for years doing certain burst training just because he's naturally not quick so gaining that half yard meant everything. That was his commitment. He's intelligent on the ball, always composed, and it makes such a difference that without injuries he'd be the first striker in 2 decades to best Shearer's all time premier league goals record.

Kevin Nolan is like 'ah i really hope he does well cos i have a lot of time for him, as a person as well'. They sound more understanding than I'd normally be, when you disappear for a week at what point does it just become arrogance at knowing you're highly hated and revelling in it, it gone completely to his head. People like Harry Kane would be ashamed to even think of having such disregard as that. It's disappointing enough to see so many young players get injuries, fall out of favour, go out on loan and just fade away. 

I've seen Ravel twice in real life, once in soccer dome, the other in costco. The first time he seemed pleased he was noticed. I should have yelled something to him shouldn't i as i get dragged away. 

• Upvote 1

How are we looking then? I haven’t had chance to catch any of these matches, but it seems from what I’ve read they’re at least putting some effort in. Hopefully this translates into a good start to the season.

Biggest thing from pre season so far is that we haven't looked boring and lazy like we have for the past few years.

Also Greenwood is going to make that right side his own.

Also AWB makes 45 million look like a bargain.

Also Matic is past it.

• Upvote 3

All over Inter, who looked too much like Celtic, so one way. Mason Greenwood seems sharp, why can't United find an identity in young players swarming all over teams? They can't channel their energy as intelligently and as decisions, but in terms of pressing they can. Who wouldn't want to see that?* Kind of crazy to look at Jadon Sancho now as a definite starter and massive part of Dortmund's attack who before last season did anyone think that'd be the case now. I actually thought he was on loan, didn't realise he signed in 2017. The impression was he came on early last season as a sub and was just so effective, so skilled, and his end product demanded his selection.

*The negative reply to that kind of idealism is it's not good enough against the top sides, but united aren't anyway. City will batter anyone regardless. Dortmund pretty much pave the way for how it should be done, and have been doing so for a long time now.

i often return to this because the first goal is like something the AI might do to you on the highest difficulty setting of pro evo, it's completely ridiculous

6 year deal for De Gea then, putting him on £375k a week. He better not have any dips in form, like the end of last season, for those kind of wages.

Just now, JPL said:

6 year deal for De Gea then, putting him on £375k a week. He better not have any dips in form, like the end of last season, for those kind of wages.

As we all know the more you pay a player the better form they have!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JPL said:

That's going to be laced with bonuses rather than a flat amount per week.

4 minutes ago, dizogg said:

As we all know the more you pay a player the better form they have!

That’s what I’m worried about!