The Man Utd Thread

I like the sound of kamikaze attacking football. :D

It's worth noting that every Cardiff fan I've spoken to is flabbergasted by the appointment. He's not held in high regard here. He signed players he knew from Molde, seemingly without realising that there was a massive step up in quality, and that they wouldn't be up to it. I guess he was going by how effortlessly he made that step up himself. He will have matured and learnt from that spell though, so it could be good. Good luck to him, I hope he absolutely knocks it out the park. 

33 minutes ago, ckny said:

We should probably take a second just to remember the good moments of Mourinho’s reign. Seeing Ibrahimovic in a United shirt, winning the Europa League, the 3-2 comeback win at City. Erm... anything else?

Scott Mctominay at centre back. 

Stats are of course great for proving points on the internet, but you can't say we have been as successful as Liverpool have over the past few seasons at building a solid platform for future success. That is not about Klopp vs Mourinho strictly, it is more about the wider setup at both clubs. We have to adopt a more modern approach (and one that does not provide such ideal fodder for the tabloids), or we'll just continue our slide into mediocrity.

Appointing Solskjaer until the end of the season presumably means getting goodwill from the fans is more important than results, at this point. Fine with that. There is so much that needs sorting out in terms of the setup, it's right that the club should not be thinking about the short term right now.

4 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

It's worth noting that every Cardiff fan I've spoken to is flabbergasted by the appointment. He's not held in high regard here. He signed players he knew from Molde, seemingly without realising that there was a massive step up in quality, and that they wouldn't be up to it. I guess he was going by how effortlessly he made that step up himself. He will have matured and learnt from that spell though, so it could be good. Good luck to him, I hope he absolutely knocks it out the park. 

I think there are some managers that need a good environment around them to succeed - just as there are managers that can work wonders in the middle of a complete shitstorm. I have no idea how well Zidane will do at his next gig if the conditions are less than ideal, for instance. I'm not saying Ole will do well - just that his time at Cardiff might not be that useful as an predictor.

uh yeah... I kind of thought that as soon as I posted it. I guess there are problems but I don't think he is being brought in to fix them. He might be expected to steady to the ship a bit, give the fans something exciting to watch. To that end, he will receive a great deal of support and goodwill from both the club and the fans - that will be important at the start if anything goes wrong. He has very talented players at his disposal, which some managers need to implement their ideas. So he is not walking into a hostile environment I would say, particularly compared to managing relegation candidates that he had no previous relationship with.

Part of United's job until the end of the season is to show the rest of the footballing world that we're not a place where players and managers go to bury their own careers. If we somehow manage to turn Solskjaer into a jaded husk, I can't imagine who else would want to work for us, if they're someone who has options.

3 hours ago, Baring said:

Wow :lol: 

43A1952A-AE7C-4A16-90DC-F53FA897AA55.thumb.png.7b419f2b9fbce3ae42c1dd23acb31b76.png

But one of those teams is on the ascendency and one has slid into jaded mediocrity. One plays forward thinking, attacking football and one doesn’t have a clue which lineup to play or in which positions the players will shine. One has spent wisely to build for the future, the other just seems to buy random players because they cost a lot of money. One of them is appealing to the fans and one is more concerned about lining the owners pockets.

I’ll let you work out which one is which.