The Man Utd Thread

i really cant understand this want of jose for Perisic, hes 29 midway throug hthe season, and inter want just under £50 mil for him!? i mean, that is a waste of money! its what jose has done though, he spends big on "established" players which arte only good for 3 seasons!

liverpool just got salah for £35mil! whos 5 years younger!

On 12/07/2017 at 00:24, Nicky said:

That, my friend is a Forward. im not sure you have any do you? or does Firminho count now?

I know I should be on the side of the Man United supporter falling over themselves in hysterics at that biting remark, but Liverpool scored 24 more league goals than United last season despite not having a forward, so it doesn't really work.

17 hours ago, 5R7 said:

i really cant understand this want of jose for Perisic, hes 29 midway throug hthe season, and inter want just under £50 mil for him!? i mean, that is a waste of money! its what jose has done though, he spends big on "established" players which arte only good for 3 seasons!

liverpool just got salah for £35mil! whos 5 years younger!

But thats besides the point. The value of the player is set by the selling club and their worth to them. Walker is seemingly going to Man City for £50m, in fact they're trying to sign two full backs for a combined £100m. On the surface that seems silly but if you want the player(s) and believe they're missing pieces you have to pay the fee of the selling club.

Perisic is a good player and if he improves us (which I think he will, he's much more direct and more of a traditional winger than what we've got) he'll be worth it in my eyes. If he signs obviously!

guess so, i did have a look at a few vids of persic, and he looks ok, but, he relies alot on his speed, and that aint gonna be there for ever, so if he comes, lets hope he learns to addapt!

and i know what you mean about walker, thats even crazier!?!

It really is like football manager...except...the real teams are paying more than you would on fm lol

The interesting thing about Persic is how two-footed he is. You see him crossing beautifully with his left foot, and the you realise he dribbles with his right. He's equally as good with either foot, so defenders don't know which way he's going to go. It's like always having an extra yard to get the cross in.  He's a Mourinho kind of player from what I've seen, as well - quick and effective rather than flashy.

And the highlights.

Looks like quite an eventful match.

Really bad defending from Phil Jones for their goal. He was nudged from behind, but he got himself completely the wrong side. A great goal from Mhkytarian following some great work by Jesse Lingard and Lukaku. Then a very nice finish from Lukaku for his first goal for United. And then Valencia gets himself sent off for a revenge tackle on a Salt Lake player who had injured Mata with a really needless, nasty foul a few minutes earlier and from the look of it had been playing like a right prick all game.

valencias red card...wtaf...it was a tackle from behind, deffo a yellow, the ref seemed to let it go, then ,two minutes after the challenge sends him off!? utterly ridiculous!

and the second half was poor all round.

On 12/07/2017 at 00:24, Nicky said:

That, my friend is a Forward. im not sure you have any do you? or does Firminho count now?

:lol::lol:thats a shambles of a PR campaign/stunt whatever you want to call it.

Seriously, you must still find that funny even if it is your own club.

Don't remember needing a forward to finish above you guys last season.:P

1 hour ago, 5R7 said:

valencias red card...wtaf...it was a tackle from behind, deffo a yellow, the ref seemed to let it go, then ,two minutes after the challenge sends him off!? utterly ridiculous!

Mourinho has said the ref asked him to sub Valencia, and he refused.

Straight up revenge tackle for the challenge on Mata, it was. (I couldn't sleep, ended up watching the second half) Not very "friendly"!

44 minutes ago, Chewylegs said:

No, but you did need to be competing on fewer fronts. Let's see how it goes this time around. You could still crash out of the champions league qualifiers and make it easier on yourself. :)

So with Morata going to chelsea and no doubt Costa going to Atletico on loan until christmas, it sounds to me like there may be a late big money loan agreement deal possibilty for Grizeman who didnt want to leave and leave Atletico on the lurch. Yeah they're both forwards, with different roles, but you never know with football

I'm gutted we didn't sign Morata. I mean I like Lukaku and i think he will score goals for us but if it was up to me I think I would have gone for Morata. I'd be fascinated to know who Fergie would have chosen. Will be interesting to see who top scores out of the two next season.

As for Griezmann I hope we don't even try and get him now, we have enough options and we need to give Rashford, Martial and Lingard a chance.

I think Griezmann was clearly interested in moving to us if circumstances were different, we'd be mad not to keep that door open I think.

Morata is a great player and I think it's up in the air whether him or Lukaku are "better". Morata is probably better technically, as well as tactically more astute, and more reliable off the ball. I'd argue Rashford and Martial tick those boxes though. The things Lukaku brings - an ability to dominate defenders physically, and reliability in front of goal - are things we are lacking. He could lead the line for any top club, which I don't think you could say for Morata. I think he needs to flit around the place instead, and for other players to use the space his movement creates - that's not how Chelsea played last season and I think Lukaku would've fit in more comfortably in their current system. It's not like there are tons of top strikers available though, so they're just in the position of needing to sign the best individual and change their approach to suit.

Rockboy we don't "need" to give them a chance. Are you telling me you'd pick Lingard over Griezmann? or even Martial over Griezmann? come on now. there's fan loyalty, and there's common sense.

I think Martial deserves a chance to fulfil his potential for sure. He's such a talented player, if he can get his head right he can become a fantastic player. If that means not getting Griezmann then so be it. Although I don't think it would matter really, Griezmann is a central striker for all intents and purposes these days.

On 18/07/2017 at 11:27, Chewylegs said:

:lol::lol:thats a shambles of a PR campaign/stunt whatever you want to call it.

Seriously, you must still find that funny even if it is your own club.

Bosh

6 hours ago, Nicky said:

Rockboy we don't "need" to give them a chance. Are you telling me you'd pick Lingard over Griezmann? or even Martial over Griezmann? come on now. there's fan loyalty, and there's common sense.

No I wouldn't pick Lingard over Griezmann, but we don't have Griezmann and I wouldn't go and buy him with the players we've currently got. Rashford and Martial have the potential to be world class but that's not going to happen if they are sat on the bench behind Lukaku and Griezmann.

Also, Rashford and Lingard are Man United born and bred, and I want to see them succeed at the club.

Another excellent goal from Lukaku, who also hit the bar, and had another goal disallowed. Mhkitaryan and Rashford look in good form ready for the new season as well. I like the look of the starting lineup, with maybe a couple of changes in the defence. Is Bailly still out injured?

Man City's young lad Foden looks good too.

Yeah, it reminded me slightly of that famous goal by Mark Hughes in the 1991 Cup Winners Cup Final.  A lot of players would have stopped, taken another touch, and tried to improve the angle, in the process wasting the chance.  Perhaps when the stakes are higher Lukaku might tighten up and do just that, but this is an encouraging start from him.

Another bit of good news is that I have resisted the urge to put him straight into my Fantasy team, so he's virtually guaranteed to score a hat-trick on the first day of the season.