The Man Utd Thread

just got an alert we've just signed a midfielder - Victor Camarasa

no idea where that news is from though, trying to find out. im fairly sure someones football manager name autocomplete broke.

1 hour ago, Nicky said:

just got an alert we've just signed a midfielder - Victor Camarasa

no idea where that news is from though, trying to find out. im fairly sure someones football manager name autocomplete broke.

Apparently it was an app/typo error, as they're both called Victor.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-cristiano-ronaldo-175million-10643426

Even by Woodward's standards, this would be a shocking piece of business. Give Real Madrid De Gea, fund their transfer of Mbappe and still leave them with around £50m in change in exchange for a 32 year old.

Just as well there's not a single quote in the article, even from an unnamed source, to back up the ridiculous headline...

I do have a horrible feeling that De Gea is going to leave this summer whatever other deals happen, but that would value Ronaldo at what, £235m?  Over a quarter of a billion Euros?  Ha!  De Gea for Ronaldo in a straight swap would be about right, in terms of value, when you consider the players' ages.  Actually, I'm not sure if I'd rather have De Gea or Ronaldo in the team, much as I'd love to have Ronnie back.

If De Gea does go, at least it looks quite possible that we could sign Donnarumma as a replacement.  He's refused a new contract and is angling for a move.  I would place Juve as his most likely destination though - a season as Buffon's understudy, learning from the greatest ever Italian keeper, then first choice for the biggest club in his home country (and a considerably better team than United) would seem to be an obvious career path.  There have also been reports that Real themselves are interested in Donnarumma, which might suggest that De Gea is staying.

His skill is unquestionable, and I can see him playing for another 10 years easily, but it's a ridiculous amount of money.

As much as I'd love to see him back at United, it's just too much. Woodward would have to be mental.

It's a done deal then, isn't it? <_<

1 hour ago, Pug said:

I'm not bothered what they pay, it's not like it's my money, lol.

Well, no, but think of all the additions you could make to the squad for that kind of money. 

Its all hypothetical obviously, we're not signing him for 235 million :lol:

I can see the logic of spending hundreds of millions of pounds for a 32 year old striker who is now completely one dimensional and like Zlatan will play so often that it limits the opportunity of Rashford and Martial to play as centre forward, to the point one or both will leave. If only those two played for one of the most exciting attacking teams in Europe, Man United could then buy them.

Actually, it makes sense, Man United kind of going for every shade of the galactico approach. not just young talents but 30+ legends of the game, just do everything to convince the world you're still relevant.

This is cynical I know, but again and again people are blinded by these buys. I just find it hollow. Every season in the premier league the most refreshing thing to see, every single time, is some young player get his debut and be properly brilliant. Whatever the team, it happens again and again, and it remains the only honest true thing about premier league football. It is a twisted mindset to have to hate buying great players I admit ! But it's so hollow - so soulless. The whole 'don't care how we win, as long as we do' desperate whinge of a 606 caller after England are battered again at a tournament - no, no, not for me. It all started with Kagawa, ahh finally United have a playmaker like City have their Silva, but the system wouldn't change for him, and since then a kind of dream the club would foster young talent and have an identity people can respond to, create a kind of excitement in just the joy to play the game, the kind of joy that expresses itself with the kind of goals those teams that do trust young energetic talent score. Dortmund and Monaco kind of express that, no big names anywhere. Real Madrid spent nearly one billion on the Galactico approach through the noughties to win la decima and even with Ronaldo and Mourinho couldn't get to a Champions League final and hardly won loads of league titles.

I loved Ronaldo at United, mainly because every week he was improving massively and did things that even himself was amazed by. But he's not the same player, he won't contribute anything except goals that won't mean anything. I love seeing new talent flourish basically. With Zlatan, it was all about him, not the team. He is a team player, yeah, but the whole narrative, the aim for what the club means to do. When you have a core of young talent, I want to see them together build something great. Together with playing time, with passion and energy and a manager that harnesses it. That's when you become a team that's talked about all over Europe, instead of one that bores everyone in a final. Yeah anyway, I don't want United to buy any strikers, just simply get the best out of Pogba and treasure Rashford and Martial like the stars they are. Thinking about it, Rashford is kind of like United's Kane. Kane was lucky to get his chance iirc, and took it, and everything went right in a way it did for Rashford in those seemingly pivotal first games you get (where's James Wilson now ?) to impress - less about skill somehow, more about being some kind of golden talent where luck is always on your side.

josh harrops gone to preston then, guess that was a heck of a shop window for him in the last game of the season...shame, as he looked liek he could have come into the teram over the next couple of years.

and as its out of contract that hes left, wont even be a sell on or buy back if hwe does turn out good!

I know what youre saying so this isnt a dig a you but if he was at another club and United wanted to sign him i doubt anyone would say 21 is too old. I dont get the difference just because he came through the youth team, at least the team would know what sort of person/player he is. Josè isnt really a blood the youngsters manager anyway so he's better off away and then he can come back in 2 years for huge wages.

look at it this way rather than armchair it: he's a player who's been surrounded by supposedly top class coaches, and managers, probably getting reviewed, rated and notes taken on on a regular basis. If those people thought he was good enough he wouldn't be going to Preston.

And i think the whole Mourinho not wanting to field youngsters isnt entirely true or accurate. who was he going to bring through at Chelsea who werent exactly known for their youth facilities. at Real? with a culture and expectation and wallet to get the best, they didnt need to bring in youth. Here at Utd. he fielded youngsters last season, he's kept with Lingard who didnt have a great season, also Rashford has been kept and played.

He listed last season the players he's given debuts to, but you've got to look at his position, team and expectation as to wether he can "afford" to or has the young players that were good enough to play them and afford them to opportunity to fuck up.