The Man Utd Thread

Literally three minutes after I posted getting worried. :D

I wouldn't worry, Rev. There's 40 minutes left, which is plenty of time for one of United's trademark massive deadline day fuck-ups. We'll probably sign Jon Walters for £100m or something, then accidentally shred the money instead of giving it to Stoke, before Ed Woodward runs himself over in the car park.

I wonder what happens now then. Presumably Madrid will get him for free now next season? Will United try and hawk him around in January to try and get some money for him? Will he be eternally annoyed and refuse to play (potentially known as a 'Berahino')? Will he come back into the fold and have a great season, or will every flap at a cross or mistake be evidence that he's stopped trying?

If he does go for a free, I'm not sure who is really happy with that.

GK and striking positions are a mess. We've either got someone who doesn't want to be at the club or an accident waiting to happen at GK. And we've got a slow, waning captain or a pretty much unheard of teenager as striker. Sigh.

No chance that De Gea might blame Real for the fuck up and want to stay?

I think Madrid have covered that aspect by confirming that United only wanted to deal on the last day for them, and then it was 6 or 7 hours before they sent stuff over. Yes, Madrid allegedly were late too, but you'd still say they should have opened negotiations sooner.

It's such a farce I'm wondering if this was Madrid's plan all along (as ridiculous as that sounds) - or, at least, they seemingly aren't that fussed - so they could get him without paying Man U a penny, just to massively troll them. After all, they are the team that will likely be losing their best player and will now have to find a replacement separate to that. Unless they don't register DDG for the Champions League, which would make him a more attractive proposition to buy in January.

It's all rather intriguing, watching from the outside.

The club is delighted that its fan-favourite double Player of the Year, David de Gea, remains a Manchester United player.

Thats a weird thing to say.

We're delighted he remains a Manchester United player (even though he can't wait to leave and the only reason he's still here is because of bureaucracy and oh god what are we meant to do with him now?)

Worth reading Sid Lowe's take on the whole thing. Neither club come up smelling of roses, but it sounds like Madrid were essentially expecting United to reopen negotiations after they hit a stalemate, which of course we would have no reason to do. It still should have been possible for the transfer to go through on the last day though, incompetence must have played a part as much as tardiness. When you consider that these are two clubs that have had plenty of dealings with each other over the years, it should have been really simple.

I am looking forward to seeing David de Gea back in between the sticks, even if it's only till the end of the season. He has a nice signing on bonus waiting for him when he does eventually sign for Madrid, I suppose.

I wonder what happened. As Sid Lowe points out, Madrid's excuses don't really hold water. They moan that United didn't open negotiations until Monday, but that makes no sense. Were they expecting United to come to them, begging them to buy our player of the year? It was up to them to make an offer. United's statement just says no offer was received from Madrid until Monday. There's some weird double-speak in the Madrid statement,

2 Despite the difficulties involved in completing an operation of this nature on the last day of registration, Madrid agreed to open those conversations.

Again, this seems to imply that United were coming to them to try and sell De Gea, rather than the other way around, and that they were somehow doing us a favour by buying him. A very strange quote.

They then complain about the eight-hour delay to United sending the contracts back, presumably agreeing the deal. This still gave them two and a half hours to finish the details off, and register the transfer.

Then both clubs seem to agree that Madrid sent the contracts back to United at about 11.30 Spanish time. United's statement mentions that Madrid failed to send the signatory page, and that minutes later, with only twenty minutes to the deadline, Madrid tried to significantly change the terms of the deal. Madrid do not mention this. This seems to be quite a key point. I wonder what the changes were. Were Madrid playing last-minute silly-buggers? Are United over-stating the significance of minor changes?

Then there was apparently a flurry of last-minute activity. Navas only agreed terms at 11.53, Madrid only sent the documents required for United to terminate De Gea's contract at 11.55, United entered the details into TMS at 12.00, right on the deadline, and for some reason Madrid appear to have been waiting for United to do this. As Sid Lowe points out, they do not need to wait! The Madrid statement is disingenuous in that it again implies that they had to wait before entering this. They also ascribe significance to the fact that the Navas deal was not entered, but of course it didn't need to be - the deadline on transfers of players heading to England did not close until 6pm today.

The penultimate point about being "invited" to register De Gea by an automated system is odd, but seems to be just a way of heading off those reports of them being 28 minutes late rather than 2 minutes late. "We knew we were too late, honest, but the machine still wanted us to send us the documents, so we did so to be polite."

The final statement, about them "doing everything" to complete the signing is pretty tragic. It's like a naughty child making excuses. "So, as you can see, it wasn't my fault," The whole statement is an attempt to placate fans who will no doubt be livid, and shift the blame onto United. Their reasons why it's all United's fault don't really hold water, though. The eight-hour delay is the only thing they have, but really there was still enough time to sort things out if they had worked efficiently, co-operatively, and competently. Their statement is disingenuous and filled with spin, but then what else can you expect from Real? The bottom line as far as I can make out would appear to be that Madrid fucked-up.

The odd bit is the massive rush to get Navas done when they had another 18 hours for that. They had de Gea in the system, just put that through and then sort the rest later. It seems highly unlikely Real were poised to try and sneak off with Navas if they got a chance.

Couldn't have happened to a nicer club.

Still, they'll get De Gea next year for nowt, and he'll get a huge signing on bonus, and United get a world class keeper for a year, quite possibly bored out of his mind on the bench. God knows what Utd do with him now.

I wonder what happened. As Sid Lowe points out, Madrid's excuses don't really hold water. They moan that United didn't open negotiations until Monday, but that makes no sense. Were they expecting United to come to them, begging them to buy our player of the year? It was up to them to make an offer. United's statement just says no offer was received from Madrid until Monday. There's some weird double-speak in the Madrid statement,

Like I said above, doesn't it feel a bit like Madrid were just messing with you in the end? It's all so odd, a chance to get a player they've courted - very publically - for 2 years and it falls apart right at the death when it is seemingly in their control. Maybe the alleged changes are the key here - perhaps when Man U didn't agree to them, Madrid decided it wasn't worth it?

I wonder when the real story will all come out - it should be fascinating.

If he plays, which is likely with the Euros coming up, he could again be the difference between making the champions league or not, which is worth more than the money Real were offering. We've also just spent 36 million on an inexperienced teenager, money really isn't an issue.

i cant believe man u are so blase about losing out on 30 mil for him.

18mil he's valued at because of the final year.

The other 11mil was Navas' value.

I think if he has a season like last year then 18mil is fine to lose out. Leaving him on the bench will be bad business.

Del Bosque basically came out and said that he needs to be playing well and regularly to get into the Euros, so maybe it will give him some onus to continue putting the effort in until he moves next year.

What's the chances he would accept a crackerjack contract offer to him in the next year? [/wishful thinking]

18mil he's valued at because of the final year.

The other 11mil was Navas' value.

I think if he has a season like last year then 18mil is fine to lose out. Leaving him on the bench will be bad business.

fair enough, thanks, didnt realise he was down to 18mil, obviously knew he was out of contract in summer.

Been away so only just caught up on all of this. What a mess, a complete shambles that I can barely recognise as United anymore. Incredibly disappointed that Januzaj went, as well as selling Hernandez for pittance. We have no stability and it only makes me wonder how long we have to put up with Van Gaal - he has one more year on his contract after this season I think? We have two of the best keepers in the world and neither of them playing. :lol: What happened to our youth players? Our consistency? We're another faceless team like City and Chelsea.