IGNORED

Shrek The Third - The Game

footle

We spend a lot of time on this board pulling apart games that are actually quite good, and ignoring the burgeoning Xbox 360 platforming scene. In the interests of research (and because I've found Stalker too hard on stalker difficulty), I thought I'd look at what the latest Shrek game is like; without paying any money, of course.

Theoretically, the latest set of licenced computer movie platformers have some advantages that the last set didn't - the consoles are a couple of magnitudes more powerful and so can push about avatars that are a bit more like their movie counterparts. Shrek The Third succeeds here - Shrek, Donkey (and particularly Puss In Boots) look noticeably like their movie counterparts, which isn't something I'd have written from screenshots of the first Shrek game.

Storywise, the demo starts well by sticking to the plot of the movie. The theatre within a theatre concept is inspired, and is implemented well.

The basic outline established, the game descends immediately into generic-platformer-101 and becomes a trip to the docks where Shrek and his buddies have to punch pirates and pick up coins. This isn't explained.

Shrek is far too powerful. And has two attacks - "punch", and "other punch". If the player makes Shrek start to run, the framerate drops noticeably - cunningly recalling the "figures on sticks" theatre scene seen earlier.

Puss-in-boots brief section is better; "sword slash" and "other sword slash" are more interesting attacks, visually, and he's inside and there's not so many framerate problems.

There's a context sensitive Y-button attack for both characters, but it simply seems to mean you lose your combo.

On the collectable side, there are lots of coins to pick up - even if it's not possible to pick up any you miss. There are lots of crates to smash, and beer tankards that lead to a "quest completion" notification (though the form of this quest isn't explained). There's some blue stuff that flies out of enemies when you finish stunning them (I assume it's stun, given this is probably meant to be a child friendly game) which can be released in a giant fart by pressing both triggers. The giant fart leads Shrek into something akin to Bullet Time. But with "punch" and "other punch" rather than lots and lots of bullets.

The environments would be Xbox 1.5, if I'd not played Psychonauts or Stranger's Wrath. They're therefore just sharper Xbox backgrounds.

Has anyone else played this? Has anyone got any contribution to add? What subtle features have I missed?

What the hell were you thinking?

If that's addressed to me...

This forum has spent hours tracking down niggles in Mario Sunshine, describing Kameo as an art-design pile of shite etc. We also tend to hyperbole - Northy's "Worst Game Ever" is just untrue, as anyone who's touched the instant death classic "Sonic The Hedgehog 360" would surely testify.

The game's shite, and nowhere near what it could be. But the question - what in the game mechanics mean that this is not as good as Sunshine or Kameo? - is surely of interest to a forum like this. When we're criticising, what is our benchmark?

Besides, it's a Sunday morning; I can't be bothered to go outside; and I'm bored...

The opening bits were amazing looking, yes, the opening bits before the demo actually started were amazing looking.

What this said to me was that "some real thought went into how to frame this story, but this seems to be all that the creative side really focused on...". To the point where I got the feeling that this is what the film company's producers were actually interested in, since they were probably supplying the voice talent.

If that's addressed to me...

This forum has spent hours tracking down niggles in Mario Sunshine, describing Kameo as an art-design pile of shite etc. We also tend to hyperbole - Northy's "Worst Game Ever" is just untrue, as anyone who's touched the instant death classic "Sonic The Hedgehog 360" would surely testify.

The game's shite, and nowhere near what it could be. But the question - what in the game mechanics mean that this is not as good as Sunshine or Kameo? - is surely of interest to a forum like this. When we're criticising, what is our benchmark?

Besides, it's a Sunday morning; I can't be bothered to go outside; and I'm bored...

Christ Jesus....if you are THAT bored have a wank, go outside for a walk, drink some beer, do a J any thing but play a game based on a crappy sequel to a kids movie.

Shrek the Turd. Because it is.

I played it last night. I want that bit of my life back please.

Only good bit: during the 78 minute loading sequence, Shrek says "Get to the game already!".

Shrek the Turd. Because it is.

I played it last night. I want that bit of my life back please.

Only good bit: during the 78 minute loading sequence, Shrek says "Get to the game already!".

I laughed at the "You mean they found the switch" bit too - doesn't seem to take itself too seriously. My perspective on these types of games has changed completely since having kids - my daughter really loves it.

I'm sure she does, but the problem with all these games is they're the same game with different clothes[1]. If you've played one, you've played them all. Fine for the kiddies, but crap for the rest of us.

It makes you wonder why they even bother as much as they do, actually - kids will want it anyway, regardless of how crap it is.

[1] Remember the Garfield/Felix the Cat/Mickey Mouse/Bugs Bunny/Godzilla game for the GB? All *exactly the same game* with different graphics :)