Team Fortress 2 Discussion

ChrisN

Day 6 has been updated, with the Spy's revolver replacement, The Ambassador gun - extremely accurate, but longer wait time between shots.

I reckon this could be pretty good, particularly now you get to see the enemy player's health, it great when you know one shot will kill them.

So, I actually have this now after buying the Orange Box package off Steam for a fiver or something equally obscene the other week. I bought it just for Portal which I swiftly got stuck at, so I may give this a pop next (week). How is it for the newcomer, I've had a scan over the last few pages and it all sounds a bit bewildering to be honest. Any good tutorials at least? Assuming I get round to playing, how important is having a mic and so on? I've got one as it happens which may be serviceable but it seems a bit crap compared to how the 360 does things (it's a 2 quid ebay job). Good enough, or not even needed?

Not that many use mics on public servers, so not a big problem there. Find a class you like, follow your team around and you'll soon work out what to do. There's no friendly fire which is helpful for newcomers.

So, I actually have this now after buying the Orange Box package off Steam for a fiver or something equally obscene the other week. I bought it just for Portal which I swiftly got stuck at, so I may give this a pop next (week). How is it for the newcomer, I've had a scan over the last few pages and it all sounds a bit bewildering to be honest. Any good tutorials at least? Assuming I get round to playing, how important is having a mic and so on? I've got one as it happens which may be serviceable but it seems a bit crap compared to how the 360 does things (it's a 2 quid ebay job). Good enough, or not even needed?

If you've not played before then the soldier and heavy pretty much do what they say on the tin, just get stuck in. You can work out the ins and outs of every class. I found spy really confusing at first, but it's probably my favourite class now

You'll always get some people using mics on whatever servers you're on. It does help a lot, and I couldn't personally play the game without a mic.

As to starting classes, pyro is a good shout - you can't go too far wrong by running at people and holding the fire button. :( Heavy is also a good starter - you're almost guaranteed to get at least some attention from medics, and you've got a lot of solidity and fighting ability even on your own. I'd stay away from soldier personally - rockets can be a bit tricky to get the hang of, as they're quite slow-moving and you need to lead targets and such.

Stacks of 'how to' vids and tips in this Steam forum thread.

I started playing ad Medic. You can't really go wrong healing people although you have to balance that with charging up for ubers (see that thread).

medic's a good starter class in that if you can find someone good to heal, you can follow them round and see where's good to go, what's good to do, who's best to shoot first, etc etc :(

downside is you will get targetted by just about everyone ;)

With Jarate being the last sniper update and the forums are going crazy! Who'd have thought piss in a jar would offend that many people?

Made a facebook group for it lol, join if your bored. :wub: