The Xbox360 Elite - What are your views?

MCV_UK

as a current 360 owner, i am quite tempted by the elite. the larger hard drive, i hope will be of use for when the video downloads finally kick off in the uk, and live arcade games become bigger in size. and i admit the black colour does look rather nice, almost like a homage to the original xbox! if hdmi will give me a better picture than vga, then thats a plus too! as for price, i think £299 would be fair, the only downside to the elite is that my hd drive will still be white. :(

As a premium owner..

Do I want an Elite version? Nah. A larger hard drive, HDMI port and a black case do not a new console maketh. And you just know it's going to be £350. It's just the same noisy, hot console in a different colour with a couple of extra bits.

I was chatting with a 360 owning friend about this, and he pointed out "It's diluting the message". And he's quite right if you don't get annoyed by the marketing speak. Why are they doing it? Is HDMI going to make it a better machine? Nope. Is a bigger hard drive going to make a difference? Not really unless you've got some adversion to deleting things. They've just made a pikey PS3 and it's a complete waste of time. -1,000,000 points for Microsoft. The general public are just going to think 'meh' and get a premium.

I'm an existing 360 (premium) owner and I don't really feel the need to get the bigger hard drive - I guess it's a different situation in the US where the Video Marketplace's HD downloads fill up drives pretty quickly. I still have plenty of space on my drive and I've had the machine for a year now. I'm not interested too much in HDMI either - I feel like I've already made one leap in visual quality from SD to HD and don't want to make another just yet. I'm sure there will be people who really want to get their hands on an Elite, but I'm happy with the original 360.

I'm a non-360 owner who isn't tempted by the Elite whatsoever. Weighing up it's features & accessories that I'd want against a PS3, the PS3 wins hands down for VFM for me. Simple as. And to be honest, the price of the 120gb hard drive is crazy, who would want to pay that much?

I have an HDTV with two HDMI ports and I would have held out a month to buy one IF they had done a worldwide launch.

They decided to focus on the US and Canadian markets instead so I went out and bought myself a Premium 360 instead.

Why should I wait an extra five months for a console to hit my shores - when they did a worldwide launch with their normal machine?

I think the Elite is a bit of a masterstroke - a release that is effectively an 'upgrade' on existing 360 hardware that doesn't alienate those who already own the system. The perfect whoops-our-major-rival-has-just-launched-their-shiny-new-system spoiler. Consider me currently persuading the other half to snap one up. Every five minutes. He'll cave in.

As a non-360 owner the elite doesn't interest me in the slightest. The thing that's putting me off the 360 is the price, if the premium is well below 200 by the time GTA 4 comes out, I might buy one then.

If the premium is 'well below' £200 by the time GTA comes out, I'll buy one for you.

(Don't be daft.)

If the premium is 'well below' £200 by the time GTA comes out, I'll buy one for you.

(Don't be daft.)

I guess I mean the price of the core, now. So 180 or so.

It's less likely than it looked before the elite was announced, if the elite had replaced the premium in pricing and the core had been scrapped. Still, October is a way away.

I don't really see what the elite offers, but then I'm not a 360 owner, I guess those of you who've been downloading things onto your HD for the last 1.5 years might feel a need for it.

Oh yeah, and it has an incredibly stupid name.

Im busting to get a 360 having decided its definately the console for me. The main problem i have is the noise. When i borrow a friends console, when its on i can hear it nearly everywhere in my house and i dont feel comfortable playing it into the wee hours as its just too noisy and distracting. Does the elite fix this? Dosent sound like it. So for now im going to sit of the fence and maybe upgrade my TV first. If they dont address the noise issue by the time GTA4 is out, i may go sony against my better judgment.

I have a Premium system and the Elite doesn't interest me. Not enough to warrant purchasing a slightly upgraded system with hard drive space I dont need, a HDMI port my tv doesn't support and a black coating while I think the white one looks perfect as it is.

The Elite makes the PS3 look like a good deal to me. Microsoft must be feeling confident about their upcoming software if they're prepared to gouge us so mercilessly on hard dive prices and raise the price point of the 360 at the tills.

I wonder if this is being driven politically within Microsoft by the downloadable TV group? Maybe the decision makers at Microsoft are confident enough in the 360's short-term prospects to risk a little ground in the console war in the hope of kickstarting their downloadable video business?

My hopes of a better, quieter, cheaper, more reliable 360 have been dashed for the time being. I can wait.

As a limited edition, in the US only, the 'Elite' just about makes sense. They want to push IPTV, people need a bigger HD for that, and they've chucked in a HDMI port. Fair enough. For everyone else it's completely pointless. (Though at least they made the smart move of releasing the HD on it's own...just a shame about the price)

I can see it coming out in the US, selling pretty badly, then being discontinued and not being sold else where. Which is about the best thing I can imagine happening to it considering how much of a backwards step it is for MS. It puts them within a reasonable distance of the PS3's price without adding half as much as the PS3 offers and doesn't seem to have addressed any of the noise and reliability issues the 360 has. Not that noise reduction and improved reliability are anything MS can make a song and dance about, heaven forbid they would inadvertently admit that their console is a tad unreliable!

The message MS is sending out with this system are just so confusing I can't understand what on earth they are thinking. Their comments about revamping the 360 every so often like Apple do for the iPod are honestly quite worrying - this really isn't what console gaming is about. How long before the upgrades start having an effect on games?

They'll most likely come out with another model when the 65nm is ready at the end of the year anyway, so I doubt anyone will be rushing to get the 'Elite' as it's just so lacking. They really should have called it the "360 IPTV" or something because now when they come out with a later version ,that actually has decent stuff included, they'll really have to call it something stupid!

Here's what MS should have done:

1. Not release the 'Elite' at all until the 65nm was ready. I assume it was originally the plan to use 65nm chips, but they have decided to go ahead despite them being delayed. Bad idea.

2. Go ahead without 65nm and add some stuff that actually make the thing worth purchasing. They could have easily added Wi-Fi and left a LAN port in to give people an option. (Non one in their right mind would have wanted them to add HD-DVD however)

3. Just release the bigger HD separately and wait for a much bigger hardware update when 65nm is ready.

4. Release the 'Elite' as is but at the price of the Premium and slide the Premium and Core down in price accordingly.

5. Not release anything and just drop the prices of the Premium and Core :)

In conclusion, there are loads of options open to MS (and not just the ones I've mentioned), they're really in the driving seat this generation but I can't see the 'Elite' having any positive impact for them. I'll wait for their next attempt.

not about to get one without the quieter drive and the downloadable content for the drive, i've still got about 9GB free on my machine and run 1080p through VGA, it's all fine by me.

(and the drive tray on the elite looks knob in silver)

No I won't buy the extra large hard drive. MS should run a scheme for existing owners to part exchange their old one against the larger one as they got it totally wrong by putting a measly 20gig drive on the 360. The larger HD is essential for the US users who can download films and tv shows though, but seeing as MS in their infinite wisdom don't allow anyone outside the US to access this, then it's not such a deciding factor towards purchasing one here, although I do find myself having to delete demo's to fit new ones on the HD.

And MS have completely ignored what people want from a 360 - a reliable and quieter console, two things which by all accounts aren't apparent on the elite. A missed opportunity. A new colour and type of connection do not justify a higher price tag.

I might eventually get one once a white 65nm version comes out that is virtually silent and if I can sell on my launch console for a reasonable price.

I assume at that point the dashboard updates have enabled proper x264, DiVX/XviD and Flac playback :)

I'm interested in the Elite. I will sell my Premium to a mate, and I'm planning on buying a HDTV soon, so the HDMI feature appeals to me. The bigger HDD is a nice bonus.

The only question I have in return is "how much will the Elite cost in Euros when it's released over here?"

Having had three of them go tits up (and subsequently selling the fourth to fund a PS3), there's no way in hell I'd buy another Xbox 360, elite or otherwise, until Microsoft does something about the ridiculous failure rate of their console.

You are Clint Mansell and I claim my £5.

Im busting to get a 360 having decided its definately the console for me. The main problem i have is the noise. When i borrow a friends console, when its on i can hear it nearly everywhere in my house and i dont feel comfortable playing it into the wee hours as its just too noisy and distracting.

That is just completely, completely daft.

I don't think Microsoft are intended people who already own a 360 to fork out for an Elite on top of what they've already got. So people saying "I've got a 360 - this doesn't interest me" is hardly surprisingly. Slightly tiresome, in fact.