The Xbox360 Elite - What are your views?

MCV_UK

Hi - i'm putting together a piece on the 360 Elite and I was wondering if you lot would be able to help. I'm trying to gauge consumer opinion and demand for Elite for a piece in this Friday's magazine. So, what i'd like to know is:

- If non-360 owners are tempted by the prospect of Elite

- If existing 360 owners will be buying the extra-large hard drive

- ...and how much you expect to pay and when you'd like/expect to see it arrive

Fire away....

Neil

I've got a Core (with HD because I wanted it all white) but I might consider getting an Elite dependant on it's upscaling quality of DVDs via HDMI but other than that I'm not really interested because the larger HD is pointless IMO.

if theres any proof that its more reliable then i'll get one, but i dont think its going to have the new chipset in yet is it? i certainly wouldnt be willing to gamble on it being any better than the current one.

bigger hard drive is nice, hdmi means nothing to me.

Personally I cant wait , I have waited for this since the X360 was first released and deliberatly kept hold of my good old PS2 while I waited. I have managed to enjoy some of the fantastic PS2 games that have come out in its twiglight years (Okami, GOW2, FFXII) and I can now look forward to the next gen with a top spec console.

Price wise......£250 which includes a 12 month sub to Live would be nice, and severly undercut the PS3.

I'm interested in it as a non-owner-who-shares-a-flat-with-a-360-owner. Who I won't be living with come June.

Now, I'm super poor, so even though I am interested, I probably won't be able to afford one (or even a Core) any time in the near future, but, if I did have any money, I'd ideally want an Elite rather than anything else. Partially for the HDD, partially for the prettiness of the console. Not HD-ready, so the new HDMI port is of no interest to me.

As it is, I would expect an rrp of £300 with - like superfunk - Halo 3, or £280 alone. In other words, I would hope for it to inherit the Premium's price, shunting that down rather than add a higher tier to the 360 pricing scheme.

Mmm, I'm such a dirty little capitalist ^_^

I will not buy another 360 until they are under £100 after they let me down massively with the shoddy build quality of my original unit.

If my 360 was still working there is no way I would buy the expanded hard drive unless the HD Marketplace was active in the UK. Even then I doubt I would but I can see how it would be a lot more useful.

As for pricing. I would say to launch at £250 with Halo 3 would be a good price. The machine will essentially be nearly 2 years old by then dont forget.

I'll get an Elite if my Premium 360 breaks down.

I'll get a bigger hard disk if Microsoft get their act together with downloadable TV / movies in the UK.

EDIT: Any more than £300 and Microsoft will be losing their price advantage over Sony.

As a non-owner I am quite tempted by the 360 in general rather than the Elite as it may now come into my price-range with inevitable drops. (I don't want a Core system, so that pricing option is irrelevant)

Then again I still won't have a dedicated HDTV to play a 360 on and so am put off it just like I am the PS3. Until that day I'll probably just stick with my Wii and PS2.

It doesn't look very nice, but it's good for AV enthusiasts I suppose. I doubt I'll need the extra HDD space for a very long time, but it's good that it's an option. I think it's all being handled relatively well as console model changes go.

If my launch-day 360 had waited an extra month to break (UPS picked it up five minutes ago) and I had a spare HDMI socket on my TV and it had an HD-DVD drive and if it was quieter and I could be sure it was more reliable and it was under £300... then, yes, I'd be interested.

As it stands, my TV Drive and PS3 are taking up my HDMI sockets, it's got a standard DVD drive, hasn't been shown to be quieter and more reliable and I've no idea what the price is.

I've never had any trouble finding space on 360 hard drive so far, so that's not an issue, and I don't care about the colour thing at all.

And I'm mad at MS for making me pay £85 to have my 360 repaired in the first place, so I don't really want to give them extra money.

Oh, yeah, and I'm skint.

- If existing 360 owners will be buying the extra-large hard drive

- ...and how much you expect to pay and when you'd like/expect to see it arrive

Fire away....

Neil

I can't believe Microsoft have the audacity to bring the 360 Elite to the market when they still haven't made any headway with the incredible failure rates of the current Premium and Core. They are not getting anymore money from me and if my current 360 once again expires I will permanently stick with Nintendo and Sony products.

So to answer your questions I won't be buying the new extra-large hard drive and personally I would like a free one to compensate for my broken 360's!

If Sony did this with the PS3 people would be laughing at them. Quite how HDMI and an over-priced 120gb hdd makes this Elite, I don't know. Infact Sony added HDMI onto the Core PS3 without all this fuss!

If that wasn't clear, I have a 360 and won't be buying this. Assuming it's even released here.

Without the IPTV service, what's the point in all that space? I need more than 20GB of space, but I sure as heck don't need to pay for 160GB and HDMI. I doubt we'll get it, anyway, but even if we do, I'm sticking to the standard Premium when I buy my 360 later in the year.

I've had an Xbox 360 since launch.

I'd be more interested in the Elite system if it ran a bit (okay, a lot) quieter and had a bit more value in the box - for example a built-in wifi adapter, or the HD-DVD drive. As it stands, it doesn't make for that significant an upgrade for existing Premium 360 owners. Cosmetically, the white original looks better too.

That said, with recent large Marketplace downloads such as the Oblivion Shivering Isles expansion, running out of disk space on the 20gb model is become more and more of a possibility. So, being able to buy a larger hard drive (and more importantly, being able to conveniently transfer the contents of the old drive to the new one) will definitely prove a useful option at some point in the future.

As for HDMI, many would argue that it should have been in the original Xbox 360. It is convenient if you have a new telly, but it scarcely justifies the purchase of a new console. Instead I'd be happier if Microsoft would focus their attention on fixing the video problems with large number of existing Xbox 360 consoles: for example the lack of upscaled DVD playback over component, the graphical tearing problems with games like Dead Rising when running over VGA, or the generally washed-out output of the 360 when using VGA.

If Sony did this with the PS3 people would be laughing at them. Quite how HDMI and an over-priced 120gb hdd makes this Elite, I don't know. Infact Sony added HDMI onto the Core PS3 without all this fuss!

If that wasn't clear, I have a 360 and won't be buying this. Assuming it's even released here.

They really shouldn't be making such a fuss when it's basically a different colour and not much else. Things like a larger HDD and HDMI are revisions and should just have replaced the premium. To dress it up as a new 'Elite' SKU is farcical.

As a current 360 owner I don't have any interest in the Elite model, They have added a HDMI port which isn't compatible with the latest recommended spec (1.3). When you add that to the non existant video marketplace in Europe compared to the USA it makes the 120gb HD somewhat redundant.

And then the main problem of the system is the unreliable hardware which MS have made no effort to improve since its 2+ year conception, Early adopters have been hit by no end of problems and releasing a poorly concieved half assed model 1.5 years down the line that makes no effort to address the faults looks like yet another bad decision.

So...

People without 360s because of noise/reliability issues aren't tempted by this because it doesn't obviously address those issues.

People with working 360s aren't tempted because it's not much of an upgrade.

People with broken 360s (i.e. anyone who's owned a 360 for more than six months) aren't going to splash out any more cash on Microsoft hardware than they have to.

I think that pretty much sums it up so far.

I bought a launch 360 that went all red-lights-o-death on me, so Microsoft can fuck off if they think I'll give them more money for one of their space-heater-that-plays-games things even if it does have a bigger harddisc. Besides, it's black, it'll absorb heat. They've made it worse!

They'd be better off building a console which doesn't fall to pieces after 3 months, in a smaller/quieter form than they would rereleasing with a decently sized harddrive.

Plus where's all this functionality to put it on par with Xbox Media Center that Mr Allard was going on about prelaunch?