The National

3 minutes ago, Disgraced Toblerone said:

Sad songs for dirty lovers has the best album title ever, and the best last song ever in the history of mankind.

You're all fools.

Just highlights the strength of their other stuff, really. I like the album a lot. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've been listening to this one repeat in the car all week. It's definitely a slow burner - there's nothing as immediately catchy as some of the tracks on Trouble Will Find Me. That being said, I do like it, but I'm not completely in love with it, like I am with most of their other stuff. 'The System Only Dreams in Total Darkness' is the best song on the album, and it's quite telling that it's the song which sounds the most like their previous output, with the repeated refrain thing that Berninger likes to go for. I'm not sure yet if I'll buy the hardcopy outright or just download a couple of individual tracks,.

• 6 months later...
On 11/09/2017 at 15:17, Timmo said:

I reckon it's second or third for sure!

1) Boxer

2/3) Alligator

2/3) Sleep Well Beast

4) Trouble Will Find Me

5) High Violet

6) Sad Songs

7) The National

You are mental putting "Trouble Will Find Me" above "High Violet" but I know you have a bee in your bonnet about that album....

• 10 months later...

Apparently the whole album is collaborations with women’s voices, which sounds great. They used to have girl backing vocals on the first couple of albums and they were good. 

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

The run of Alligator, Boxer, High Violet is amazing. But then for me it’s diminishing returns after that peak. Still my favourite band by miles though. 
Apparently these 2 gigs will focus on high violet as it’s turning 10. 
tix for both nights = get

On 24/01/2020 at 22:43, Horribleman said:

I really like I am Easy to Find. It's gorgeous. The vinyl sounds great (they are mastered differently to the streaming/CD releases).

Also it has the most beautiful actor in the world on the cover.

Agreed. The vinyl is a revelation. The female vocals on this are achingly beautiful, and so complementary to Berniger's baritone. Lyrically this is a really strong album as well. So Far, So Fast and in particular "Don't you know someday somebody will come and find you? / If you don't know who you are anymore, they will remind you" slays me every time. 

Might be my favourite record of theirs. 

• 8 months later...

The Matt Berninger solo stuff is pretty great - I really loved everything up to Alligator/Cherry Tree EP and then the National kind of got a bit dull to me, Boxer was okay and then they fell off completely. Matt's solo tracks (three released so far) are much more like the National I used to love both lyrically and musically. I thought that last National album was a massive misstep so this is a good course correct.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone else heard Matt Berninger's solo album yet?

I think it clearly shows how he has one of the best voices in music and some of the best lyrics because, despite it feeling very by the numbers musically, it's lovely to listen to.

It's easy listening but great easy listening.

I didn't like I Am Easy To Find, I felt it was the band losing their edge. Hopefully a break will see them back to greatness assuming another album is coming eventually.

It’s totally great. I’ve got it on repeat today. 
it’s like a whole album of about today. 

Although I thought easy to find was a bit of a return to form after SWB and TWFM. 

I am totally in platonic man love with berninger. 

What does Serpentine prison sound like? The guitars are super familiar.  I think it might be Ryan Adam’s cover of wonder wall. Am I going mad?