Mix Club April

the anti-lfj

I think it is easier, will do so in a bit and PM you a URL :P

Okay, I've listened through once, and I like it, I don't have time to give detailed feedback at the moment (revision revision revision), but I'll try to write some the following weekend, I hope that's okay. :(

Tracklist for Boozy, finally.

1. Andrew WK - Party Hard

2. Prodigy - Action Radar

3. Pendulum - The Terminal

4. Eddie Beram - Riot In Thunder Alley (off Tarantino's half of the Grindhouse soundtrack)

5. Tommy Guerrero - Thin Brown Layer

6. Port Authority - Can't Get Up If You Can't Get Down

7. Marlena Shaw - Stormy Monday

8. Future of The Left - The Fibre Provider...

9. Juliana Luecking - So Fuckin' Perfec' (I hadn't noticed the Calamity Jane thing - that's probably what it is that I like about this)

10. Flying Saucer Attack - The Drowners

11. B. Fleischmann - Waiting For You To Come

12. Solvent - Tonka Truck

13. Lali Puna - Fast Forward (Flowchart Remix)

14. John Baker - New Worlds (from the BBC Radiophonic Workshop - the last little bit of this used to be the Newsround outro sting)

I had some kind of musical dyslexia this month - couldn't put together anything with a flow that I was happy with. It was worth sending something though, because Boozy's feedback is always good value.

Any thoughts on my CD, lfj? It's okay if you didn't like it...

I'm really sorry, I've been too busy to sit down and listen to it again properly. But there was stuff on there I liked.

Massive apologies to orooth also - I will get a belated CD out to you when I can.

I'm really sorry, I've been too busy to sit down and listen to it again properly. But there was stuff on there I liked.

Massive apologies to orooth also - I will get a belated CD out to you when I can.

Oh it's okay. Really don't worry about it if you're busy. I don't really mind! I always just make these mixes for myself anyway, to be honest.

1. The Alan Parsons Project - Mammagamma

2. Gaz Nevada - Special Agent Man

3. Tullio de Piscopo - Stop Bajon (Primavera)

4. Junior Byron - Dance to the Music

5. Kano - Iyeka-Seki

6. Visage - Fade to Grey

7. Valerie Dore - Emotion

8. Casco pres BWH - Stop

9. Fun Fun - Happy Station

10. Doctor's Cat - Feel the Drive

11. Alexander Robotnick - Problemes D'Amour

12. Mr Master - In the Night, the Dog.

13. Patrick Cowley - Mind Warp

14. Giorgio Moroder - Utopia

15. Charisma - Magnifique

16. Tantra - The Hills of Katmandu

Had a listen to this tonight Bleep, thanks for uploading. Any idea if Tullio de Piscopo has been sampled? That track is annoyingly familiar despite me not having a copy or recognising any of the albums Discogs says it's featured on. Kano and Fun Fun stood out as tracks I didn't know. Doctor's Cat is also a belter, I know the instrumental from Mixed up in the Hague. My version of Tantra doesn't go on for 16 minutes, the second half that I'm missing is almost a completely different track!

Tracklist for Boozy, finally.

1. Andrew WK - Party Hard

2. Prodigy - Action Radar

3. Pendulum - The Terminal

4. Eddie Beram - Riot In Thunder Alley (off Tarantino's half of the Grindhouse soundtrack)

5. Tommy Guerrero - Thin Brown Layer

6. Port Authority - Can't Get Up If You Can't Get Down

7. Marlena Shaw - Stormy Monday

8. Future of The Left - The Fibre Provider...

9. Juliana Luecking - So Fuckin' Perfec' (I hadn't noticed the Calamity Jane thing - that's probably what it is that I like about this)

10. Flying Saucer Attack - The Drowners

11. B. Fleischmann - Waiting For You To Come

12. Solvent - Tonka Truck

13. Lali Puna - Fast Forward (Flowchart Remix)

14. John Baker - New Worlds (from the BBC Radiophonic Workshop - the last little bit of this used to be the Newsround outro sting)

I had some kind of musical dyslexia this month - couldn't put together anything with a flow that I was happy with. It was worth sending something though, because Boozy's feedback is always good value.

cheers for that. I'll definately be checking out some

REALLY late feedback for strawdonkey...

sorry, i havent been able to sit and give proper feedback until now.

1. jarvis cocker with a dancey beat! I LIKE IT!!!

2. dubstar 'stars' - man, i used to LOVE these guys!!! whatever happened to them? come back dubstar, we miss you!

3. blur 'this is a low' - jesus, this brings me back to my youth, along with the dubstar track. lovely!!!

4. ??? - dont know who this is but feels like i should. theres something love/hate about this track...its something to do with either the arrangement or the blokes voice...

5. mazzy star 'fade into you' - one of the most amazing bands EVER with one of the most beautiful songs i have ever heard. i loved these guys, and remember seeing them live years ago in dublin. everyone there were not interested in them and i seemed to be the only one who had any idea who they were and was rapt. stunning. ;)

6. ??? WTF??? is it that fucking annoying bloke with the paper mache head from years ago on tv??? odd...

7. a lovely jazzy instrumental. yummmmmmmm!!!

8. i recognise the voice but cant place it, is it terri walker??? now this is possibly my favourite song on the mix. absoluely amazing voice, lovely music and great lyrics. WHO. IS. THIS???

9. lovely instrumental that sounds very sigur ros, or similar. gives you a fuzzy feeling inside. ;)

10. sorry, i hated this. seven minutes of noise which just isnt my cup o tea...

overall, a great cd with a couple of great tracks, so thank you!!!

:)

tracklist please!!!

REALLY late feedback for strawdonkey...

sorry, i havent been able to sit and give proper feedback until now.

1. jarvis cocker with a dancey beat! I LIKE IT!!!

2. dubstar 'stars' - man, i used to LOVE these guys!!! whatever happened to them? come back dubstar, we miss you!

3. blur 'this is a low' - jesus, this brings me back to my youth, along with the dubstar track. lovely!!!

4. ??? - dont know who this is but feels like i should. theres something love/hate about this track...its something to do with either the arrangement or the blokes voice...

5. mazzy star 'fade into you' - one of the most amazing bands EVER with one of the most beautiful songs i have ever heard. i loved these guys, and remember seeing them live years ago in dublin. everyone there were not interested in them and i seemed to be the only one who had any idea who they were and was rapt. stunning. :)

6. ??? WTF??? is it that fucking annoying bloke with the paper mache head from years ago on tv??? odd...

7. a lovely jazzy instrumental. yummmmmmmm!!!

8. i recognise the voice but cant place it, is it terri walker??? now this is possibly my favourite song on the mix. absoluely amazing voice, lovely music and great lyrics. WHO. IS. THIS???

9. lovely instrumental that sounds very sigur ros, or similar. gives you a fuzzy feeling inside. ;)

10. sorry, i hated this. seven minutes of noise which just isnt my cup o tea...

overall, a great cd with a couple of great tracks, so thank you!!!

:P

tracklist please!!!

No worries, the CD was about a month late itself ;)

01. Pulp - Countdown

02. Dubstar - Stars

03. Blur - This is a Low

04. Cake - Frank Sinatra

05. Mazzy Star - Fade Into You

06. Frank Sidebottom - Next Train to Timperley

07. Lostprophets - The Lesson Part 1

08. Jazzanova - Keep Falling

09. Mogwai - 2 Rights Make 1 Wrong

10. 65daysofstatic - The Conspiracy of Seeds

'Countdown' is from, umm, Pulp's anthology album - strangely enough, called 'Countdown'. It chronicles all of their pre-Different Class stuff, and to be honest, a lot of it is a bit crap really. 'Countdown' is a proper guilty pleasure of mine though, it's moody and awkward and is probably the embodiment of Jarvis' old glasses.

Cake are probably best known for 'Short Skirt/Long Jacket' and 'The Distance' - 'Frank Sinatra' was the follow-up single to 'The Distance' but it looks like nobody bought it, which is a bit of a shame.

Frank Sidebottom is indeed the papier maché head guy from many years ago. Pure genius.

Lostprophets are best known for having a great debut album, re-recording it when they got famous, and then growing their hair and writing rubbish pop songs for two more albums. This was a random B-side from the Shinobi vs Dragonninja single, much in the vein of the interludes from their first album, which they unfortunately dropped for the second album (haven't heard the latest one, their singles repulse me).

Jazzanova! I can't say enough good things about this lot. As far as I can tell, they only ever did one album of original material - 'In Between', which this track is taken from. It's just one of those albums that's a pure joy all the way through and I'd encourage you to seek it out - it will be expensive in shops though, for some reason. It came out a good while ago yet I've still not managed to find it for less than £12 (my copy is constructed from downloads from Napster, which was incredibly painful on a 56k modem!). I've yet to find anything that compares to this album. No idea who the female voice is though, as I have no liner notes to consult - sorry!

Shame you didn't like the last track though, I do try and mix things up a bit and the new 65daysofstatic album is very Mogwai-ish in places so it seemed to be a bit of a good way to end. Never mind, can't win 'em all! Glad you enjoyed it anyway, sorry it was so late!

Jazzanova! I can't say enough good things about this lot. As far as I can tell, they only ever did one album of original material - 'In Between', which this track is taken from. It's just one of those albums that's a pure joy all the way through and I'd encourage you to seek it out - it will be expensive in shops though, for some reason. It came out a good while ago yet I've still not managed to find it for less than £12 (my copy is constructed from downloads from Napster, which was incredibly painful on a 56k modem!). I've yet to find anything that compares to this album. No idea who the female voice is though, as I have no liner notes to consult - sorry!

Got it sitting here right in front of me. The vocalist on that track is Ursula Rucker. The packaging is sweet by the way.

CD feedback for Cowfields! I should say I haven't had time to listen to it as much as I would have usually, so my opinions are kind of newly formed.

1. Saint Etienne - Language Lab

Quite pleasant, slightly loungy start. I'd heard of this band before the turn of the millenium, but I've never actually heard them!

2. Camera Obscura - If Looks Could Kill

Quite catchy, a bit like the Pipettes with less irritating voices and far better melodies if still slightly twee, (not in a bad way, I sometimes very much like twee music). I never got round to checking out their album(s), I probably should.

3. New York Dolls - Trash

I quite like this in context - suits the sort of summery tone of the mix and I can nod along and perhaps attempt a shake of the hip if i'm confident no one's looking. My favourite parts are the backing vocals, I'm not really a fan of this kind of 'rock'.

4. The Wedding Present - Drive

Again, inoffensive enough to enjoy in the mix, but not really my thing.

5. Wire - Outdoor Miner

I've always wanted to check out wire, I never really expected them to sound so ...nice!

6. Yo La Tengo - Stockholm Syndrome

Which album is this from? I hadn't heard this song before. I don't think it's one of their best, but it's quite enjoyable and certainly fits the mood.

7. Sufjan Stevens - Jacksonville

Man, I haven't heard this in a while, it's quite nice to hear it again. A good point to change the pace in the mix though.

8. Stereolab - Canned Candies

This is interesting enough, but it just didn't grab me for some reason, although I did like the section with the randomly panned 'la la la's and the backwards sounding synth.

9. Prefuse 73 - Pagina Dos

Ahh, one of my favourite artists remixes another of my favourites. This track is so bloody good! I don't listen to this EP enough. Prefuse 73 does the whole glitch beats thing perfectly with really interesting and unconventional hooks. :(

10. Death In Vegas - Hail Xanex

The really heavilly reverbed latter section is kind of interesting, but I don't find it that aurally pleasing. The sumery vibe is pretty much gone now though!

11. Zoot Woman - Gem

Man! I haven't heard zoot woman since I was 16! This is better than I remember it actually! Quite cool

12. Yellow Magic Orchestra - KAI-KOH

I have no idea what's going on here. This is insanely cheesy, but really strangely likable. Especially those ultra 80s synth squiggles. Nice to hear the mix on a more upbeat note

13. Roxy Music - To Turn You On

I feel like this never really gets going. I like the bass in it, but I wanted it to turn into more...

14. Michael Jackson - Baby Be Mine

Oh god no. Or yes. I don't know. so. conflicted.

15. Nina Simone - Don't You Pay Them No Mind

A nice enough track, but I feel the mix has become really random. The piano on the last third of the track is just superb though. I feel the guitar and strings are emotionally manipulative though!

16. Curtis Mayfield - We're a Winner

One again, not really my thing, but it's enjoyable.

17. Nightmares on Wax - Morse

Ahh, back to the lounge, I think I like these tracks the most on the mix. The middle bit with the delayed high pitch vocals and the metallic instrument (steel drum?) is really cool, at least until the guitar comes in, it gets a bit cheesy there.

18. Rubin Steiner - Don't Try to Copy Your Heroes

This is kinda cool. I was expecting more loungey stuff until the guitars came and.. and got heavier... and then it gets a bit random and ends.

19. Vinny Peculiar - Playing on the Pier

I don't really think much of the music here, but it's oddly infectious as a closing track, especially since there's an odd symmetry in the sound of his voice and the sample used on the Saint Etienne opener.

Okay, so overall, thanks very much for the mix, it's an interesting listen, generally cohesive (at least in small clusters of tracks) and projects a really nice mood. I'm thankful I got to hear a couple of tracks from bands I'd been meaning to check out too. Thanks!