Rock Band!

Strawp

It's not so much that they're crap, the Lips mics (and the Singstar mics on PS3) seem to have lower sensitivity (or rather, RB requires more sensitivity), which means they don't pick up your voice as well as the RB mics do. They're perfectly fine for their respective games.

They used to be fine for previous Rock Band games, but RB3 doesn't let you adjust the sensitivity.

Colour me impressed. Do you do videos? People on Youtube would be keen to see. :)

No (whoops). Even worse, I went back to it a few days back and couldn't get more than four stars with two pedals, instead of the one I used when I got the 5 stars :wacko:

My drum game goes to pot when I play less; I couldn't even get 5 stars on Caught in a Mosh!

^ The Squier? Where from? Are they available in the UK yet?

Yep. I pre-ordered it from Anderton's back in January some time. They've sold out of their allocation though and are awaiting more stock.

EDIT: Moosey hit the nail on the head. I was at work late and a bit drunk IIRC.

EDIT 2:

04/05/11 - 07:33 - These goods have been loaded onto a van for delivery today.

There's no one at home to collect it.... GAH!

Info on upcoming DLC;

"We have an amazing lineup of DLC scheduled for May, including new tracks from the Foo Fighters, Lady Gaga, and Ozzy Osbourne. First up, the Foo Fighters continue to add to their legacy with the release of their new album Wasting Light, which debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 last week. On May 10, we’ll release a pack of their music, as well as two Pro Guitar/Bass upgrades to songs from the Rock Band catalog. I am a huge fan, and I’m looking forward to Tuesday. We will have all the details on Ozzy, Lady Gaga and more coming soon."

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/05/04/the-past-and-future-of-rock-band-dlc.aspx

the Foo Fighters continue to add to their legacy with the release of their new album Wasting Light, which debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 last week. On May 10, we’ll release a pack of their music, as well as two Pro Guitar/Bass upgrades to songs from the Rock Band catalog.

Oooooh. "Rope" as a new song and upgrades for "All My Life" and "The Pretender" would make me happy. And "Lonely as You".

How many Foo Fighters packs does that make it now? Harmonix really do adore Dave Grohl, don't they?*

However, Ozzy makes me very happy.

*I'll probably buy it anyway. Their new album is pretty good.

I'm surprised there's been no discussion of the squier guitar controller. Mine arrived today, and I'm mostly pleased with it, with some reservations. It seems to have some issues with detecting strums on the higher (thinner) strings. I've moved the pickup higher on that side which has improved thing somewhat but it still seems a bit dodgy. But it is amazing fun when it's working, and the easier song are more power chord based so the problem with the top strings isn't so noticeable.

Info on upcoming DLC;

"We have an amazing lineup of DLC scheduled for May, including new tracks from the Foo Fighters, Lady Gaga, and Ozzy Osbourne. First up, the Foo Fighters continue to add to their legacy with the release of their new album Wasting Light, which debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 last week. On May 10, well release a pack of their music, as well as two Pro Guitar/Bass upgrades to songs from the Rock Band catalog. I am a huge fan, and Im looking forward to Tuesday. We will have all the details on Ozzy, Lady Gaga and more coming soon."

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/05/04/the-past-and-future-of-rock-band-dlc.aspx

Also from that article:

But I should mention that tucked in among these amazing May releases is a classic Peter Frampton track - Do You Feel Like We Do from Frampton Comes Alive. Its this epic 13-minute jam with some blistering keys, brilliant guitar playing, and of course, the signature talk-box guitar effect.

:omg:

EDIT: In fact, the whole interview is worth a read. Interesting to see the direction the DLC goes in now MTV are out of the picture.

I'm surprised there's been no discussion of the squier guitar controller. Mine arrived today, and I'm mostly pleased with it, with some reservations. It seems to have some issues with detecting strums on the higher (thinner) strings. I've moved the pickup higher on that side which has improved thing somewhat but it still seems a bit dodgy. But it is amazing fun when it's working, and the easier song are more power chord based so the problem with the top strings isn't so noticeable.

I would be discussing it, but no-one was there to sign for it so I've had to reschedule for tomorrow. City Link are bobbins.

I'm a bit worried about it after seeing your comments. Will have to have a quick blast when it arrives.

Out of interest, can you play guitar anyway?

Paying £200 for a RB controller that didn't work would really annoy me. Would you go as far as saying it was faulty?

There is a huge thread on the Rockband forums where people have been discussing missing notes, how to make adjustments to avoid them etc. Someone even posted that he had bought 2 guitars and one of them weighs 3 pounds more than the other one! All stuff which is putting me off buying one as well to be honest. I know £200 is cheap for an electric guitar, but as a learning tool it isn't much use if it doesn't properly register what you are playing.

I think there's a permanent fix for the top strings' detection issues floating around somewhere, I think it's on the Rock Band forums.

I would be discussing it, but no-one was there to sign for it so I've had to reschedule for tomorrow. City Link are bobbins.

I'm a bit worried about it after seeing your comments. Will have to have a quick blast when it arrives.

Out of interest, can you play guitar anyway?

I've played guitar on and off for about 20 years. I went through all the tutorials, and initially there was definitely a problem with it registering when I picked the high strings unless I picked them really hard (much harder than you would normally). Since then I raised the pickup which seemed to help, but when playing songs it still seemed to be less than 100% accurate. When I get home I'll do the tutorials again to give it a proper test. There are apparently some screws hidden underneath the battery compartment which you can use to adjust the sensitivity, but I'd rather not fiddle with those if I don't have to. (and in case anyone wonders, I was using the string mute, and I was using a plectrum, both of which are essential for accurate scoring - its a bit mad that they don't include a couple of plectrums/picks with it).

I've played guitar on and off for about 20 years. I went through all the tutorials, and initially there was definitely a problem with it registering when I picked the high strings unless I picked them really hard (much harder than you would normally). Since then I raised the pickup which seemed to help, but when playing songs it still seemed to be less than 100% accurate. When I get home I'll do the tutorials again to give it a proper test. There are apparently some screws hidden underneath the battery compartment which you can use to adjust the sensitivity, but I'd rather not fiddle with those if I don't have to. (and in case anyone wonders, I was using the string mute, and I was using a plectrum, both of which are essential for accurate scoring - its a bit mad that they don't include a couple of plectrums/picks with it).

I'm sorry to hear it's off. I get my guitar tomorrow (between 07:30 and 17:30 - thanks CityLink! <_< ) so I'll have a quick blast and see if I suffer the same problem.

Next week's DLC;

Available on Xbox 360 and Wii (May 10) and PlayStation®3 system (May 19):

• Foo Fighters – “Long Road to Ruin”

• Foo Fighters – “Rope” X

• Foo Fighters – “Stacked Actors”

• Foo Fighters – “Walk”

• Lordi – “Hard Rock Hallelujah”

• Run-DMC – “King of Rock”

Pro Guitar Additions for Legacy Songs

• Foo Fighters – “Monkey Wrench”

• Foo Fighters – “The Pretender”

These tracks will be available for purchase as “Foo Fighters Pack 04” and as individual tracks on Xbox 360, PlayStation®3 system and Wii. Tracks marked with “X” will include Pro Guitar and Pro Bass expansions for $0.99 per song.

Price:

$1.99 USD, £.99 UK, €1.49 EU (160 Microsoft Points) per song

$2.00 USD (200 Wii Points™) per song

$0.99 USD (100 Wii Points/80 Microsoft Points), £0.59 UK, €0.79 EU per song for eligible Pro Guitar/Pro Bass upgrade

$6.99, £3.49 UK, €5.29 EU (560 Microsoft Points, 700 Wii Points) for Foo Fighters Pack 04

My Squier *just* turned up.

Initial impressions (unplugged - the Xbox MIDI controllers don't arrive 'til next week <_< )

Bit light.

Bit plastic.

Bit rattly.

The strings are of a woefully low gauge.

I"M SO FUCKING HAPPY :omg:

I just hope I don't have one a dodgy one. Also... are the tuning heads supposed to be nigh-on impossible to turn?

It plays pretty well, but bending the string is a bit dodgy as it gets trapped on the frets (they're separated into 6 as opposed to being a solid strip).

please bear in mind this is literally 3 minutes of hands-on as I'm working from home and have a deadline in 19 minutes.

Joy!

First in Rock Band, maybe due to them being in the GH Aerosmith some time ago. KoR remix appeared in Harmonix's Amplitude (pre-RB), which was a belter.

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully we'll see Rock Box later.