Rock Band!

Strawp

I get my kicks from playing through the songs, and there's very little in the game I can't actually do, so I don't bother turning it off. Mainly though it's because I want to play the likes of Painkiller without having to drop to Hard (when you're used to virtually every note, Hard mode sucks) or end a song thanks to a tricky mid-song solo that's sandwiched between two entirely doable parts.

Plus if I'm playing solo, I like to break out the microphone as well, so failing a song I'm enjoying singing because I can't nail a solo just irritates me. Still, I do see the benefits of having to improve in order to complete songs (I'd say my guitar playing hasn't gone anywhere since Rock Band 3 came out), and the fact that Harmonix's previous guitar games forced you to progress is likely the reason I fell in love with the series and got to the level I am today, but if I'm going to put in the effort now, I'd rather put it towards pro guitar or drums. Or singing. :D

On the contrary, I can't understand playing with no fail on. Having a challenge makes the game much more satisfying when you beat something that you couldn't before, forces you to improve, and hugely improves replayability.

The inability to fail is why I got bored of DJ Hero very quickly.

Thing is though, you pretty much know in the back of your mind if you've 'failed'. There's no way I would've gotten better at the middle drum part in Roundabout with No Fail off, as well as being frustrated by tracks like Avenged Sevenfold (for its drum solo). If you're doing well for the majority of the song, you really shouldn't be punished for one diddy section. That and if I can get a score, I'm more likely to persevere than in training mode.

Well I play with it off because it feels like I'm cheating otherwise (but that's just me). But also because some songs are a real challenge and I want to know I'm making improvements. I'd never know whether I was finally nailing something like the freebird solo unless I have no fail off.

there are some songs i could pass in RB2 but can't in RB3 so i feel like the game is cheating me, so i have no fail on permanently :unsure: completely agree about the lack of progression/challenge though, but i don't play much any more so am permanantly getting worse, no-fail helps me ignore this and have fun :)

No fail fo' life. Failing just ruins enjoyment. You're always going to try to play stuff as well as possible anyway so I don't understand the argument that failing makes you better. If anything it just put me off playing certain songs because I was unwilling to switch to hard or stop singing/playing simultaneously. If it puts you off playing harder stuff then it's actually stopping you from getting better. And there's loads of songs which aren't really hard barring one or two sections. Not being able to play those songs because of failing was rubbish. I'd say allowing no fail mode to be used without penalty is the single biggest step forward that Rock Band 3 introduced.

I also play with no fail on. I'm mainly aiming at stars so failing through a track won't actually get me what I need anyway. I know when I've failed, there'll be 2 stars sitting there at the end. Or it could be a track I *have* to play for a goal which I'm not too fond of and don't really want to spend ages grinding through it just to get to the end.

Thinking about it, it was Rock Band 2 where I finally stopped trying to beat songs and started just playing the ones I enjoyed the most. This could be because the game's single player career wasn't a simple progression from the bottom tier to the top, but I think the largest influence was that by this time I had amassed a healthy number of songs and when given the choice between one I didn't like and couldn't beat, and one I did and could, I'd invariably go for the latter. I attempted Bodhisattva only once in the entire game, and there was a few songs I didn't even know existed because I hadn't unlocked them - it was only when I had friends round to play that one wondered where a particular song was and I realised there was something missing. I never bothered going back to unlock them.

Now that Rock Band 3 has all but ditched the progression aspect in favour of an open party game, I'm less inclined to treat it as a challenge. It's all just for fun.

But whatever way you play it it's still the best fun.

The rock meter is shorter in RB3, but the timing window is bigger plus you get band star-power phrases when playing solo, so most songs are easier in practice.

I can't imagine playing Rock Band without failing, since it's integral to the game experience. Getting to the point where you can pass the song, and then added replayability in beating your high-score. On difficult songs it adds tension, excitement and teamwork into something which would otherwise be pretty mundane. The fact you can't play songs hugely above your ability level is a feature, not a bug: it provides a sane difficulty curve by providing a goal that's always slightly above your ability level that you're able can pull off with a bit of practice.

Once you start using No Fail Mode, it breaks the high-score table so you never know whether you can pass a song or not. The presentation of scores is, for me, the biggest step forward in RB3.

Not only that, you don't even need No Fail Mode to be on when it's a single button press to continue playing when you fail.

Edit: That said, locked songs were a crap game mechanic. Changing their focus to improve Quick Play mode was a good decision.

I'd say allowing no fail mode to be used without penalty is the single biggest step forward that Rock Band 3 introduced.

I'm sure pro mode would have something to say about that, but I get what you mean.

I play this game to live out my own little rock star fantasies, rather than to feel like I'm getting better at a game. So the songs I play most are the ones that do the best job of tricking my brain into feeling like I'm a genuinely talented musician singing my heart out on stage to thousands of adoring fans, backed by a band made up of my best buddies. Failing a song is the quickest way to pull you right out of that.

Just depends what you're looking for out of the game, I suppose. I appreciate what people like halo are saying though. Finally finishing Run To The Hills on expert drums back on RB1 was one of the most satisfying gaming moments I've ever had.

I'm sure everyone can at least agree that the road challenges in RB3 are miles, miles better than a straight difficulty tier list, right?

I can't imagine playing Rock Band without failing, since it's integral to the game experience. Getting to the point where you can pass the song, and then added replayability in beating your high-score. On difficult songs it adds tension, excitement and teamwork into something which would otherwise be pretty mundane.

I only play with a full band when I've got friends over, and we're playing ultimately for fun, not challenge. Plus, if it's mundane you're doing it wrong. ;)

Not only that, you don't even need No Fail Mode to be on when it's a single button press to continue playing when you fail.

However, it does lead to an unnatural stoppage in the song while it informs you of your failure and rolls back. Nobody likes a guy who keeps hitting pause on the music system just because some dude's air guitar isn't accurate enough. :P

It does come down to how you play the game though. For me, it's another way to enjoy music, rather than a score attack. For that reason, I'm glad the no fail mode this time about doesn't alter your progress through the game, and you still have to be good at each song in order to five star them, or indeed to enjoy them to their fullest.

The DragonForce guitar charts are comedically ridiculously hard, though, even when compared with GH. Buyer beware.

Hahaha, yep, I was pleased to see it wasn't any less utterly ridiculous than I remember it being!

Two and a quarter stars. Oof.

(No fail mode fo' life.)

Well I play with it off because it feels like I'm cheating otherwise (but that's just me).

I see your point, but when Harmonix changed the failure criteria for RB3, I realised how arbitrary the whole thing is. So I thought, "f**k it, I'll decide whether I've failed or not." And I've found the game to be entirely more enjoyable ever since.

Each to their own, of course. Just be glad there's a choice! :)

Next week's DLC;

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218056

No joke, here are the tracks coming out next week. In addition to seeing some crazy variety in these singles (seriously, could there be two bands more dissimilar than Joy Division and J. Geils Band?) it's worth pointing out that 3 of the 4 tracks have Pro Guitar upgrades available. That should give all you Squier and Mustang owners out there something to work on for the next week or so, assuming of course that all of you have already mastered Through The Fire and Flames from last week. Enjoy!

Available on Xbox 360, Wii and PlayStation®3 system (April 5):

· Grand Funk Railroad – “The Loco-Motion”

· Grand Funk Railroad – “We’re an American Band” X

· J. Geils Band – “Freeze-Frame” X

· Joy Division – “Love Will Tear Us Apart” X

Slowly progressing through Medium Pro Guitar, and I mean slowly.

Thought I was doing OK - and then I hit Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots and it's a huge wall of varying chord shapes. Absolutely perplexing. Feels like I've accidentally put it onto the wrong difficulty!

Anyone else with no previous guitar experience hit this problem? I've turned on Chord Numbering which allows me to at least hit the right notes in training mode but I can't yet conceive of a point where I'll be able to confidently switch from one chord to the next fast enough to actually play the song.

In the hope of trying to attract some more interest this weeks songs in the RB High Scores thread are:

RB3: 'I Can See For Miles' by The Who

RB/RB2: 'Rock'n Me' by Steve Miller Band

DLC: 'Bleed American' by Jimmy Eat World

Go here.

Stevie Nicks – Edge of Seventeen (Just Like the White Winged Dove)

tumblr_lcpi3sCIq81qb5mt2.png

There it is. My number one most wanted Rock Band song of all time ever. Hey neighbours, get ready to enjoy my dramatic, committed vocal recreations of this one.