Rock Band!

Strawp

In case you aren't aware, Rock Band 3's calibration settings are completely different from other games in the series.

Yeah, I sort of was aware, I did a search in this thread for 'calibration'.

I get different results on 3 each time I do the calibration, sometimes the audio is 80ms then the next time I do it it says 5ms. I guess I could just start at 0 and keep changing it until it feels right. I just thought the auto-calibration guitar would give me a true figure.

In case you aren't aware, Rock Band 3's calibration settings are completely different from other games in the series.

This isn't correct. The calibration tool is the same one they've used since RB2.

What people have noticed is that the game feels different in terms of timing, perhaps a result of the new engine, which is causing missed notes where you wouldn't expect them. I've had to set my offset 10ms higher than usual to get it to feel right.

Perceived lag is an interesting thing, though. Some people swear that all the games have slightly different timings, while others keep the same settings from one to the next. The only way to be sure is to play them on a CRT. If that still feels wrong, then you need to rewire your own timing!

Re: those auto-calibrating instruments. In my experience, they add more lag offset than I normally add manually. They're also not consistent, which is weird. I get slightly different results each time. Some people swear by them, though.

The auto-calibration gives me the same result for a television every time I use it on it (I sometimes switch between the living room telly and my bedroom one), and it gives different results in Rock Band 3 and Rock Band 2, so there's absolutely a difference between the games' timing which certainly needs to be taken into account when comparing the two games' settings.

I'd never go back to manual calibration after having used auto.

Yes, my auto-calibration gives consistent results and it's the same for Rock Band 2 and Beatles Rock Band, and much higher for Rock Band 3. If I just go with what it suggests, it all feels perfect though. I used to spend hours playing around with manual calibration and could never get it right, so this has been a godsend for me.

This isn't correct. The calibration tool is the same one they've used since RB2.

The calibration settings are definitely changed from previous titles.

What people have noticed is that the game feels different in terms of timing, perhaps a result of the new engine, which is causing missed notes where you wouldn't expect them. I've had to set my offset 10ms higher than usual to get it to feel right.

The timing window is also different -- it's wider in RB3 than previous RB titles -- but that's a different issue. I usually play on a CRT so I'm definitely not imagining anything in that respect.

Yes, my auto-calibration gives consistent results and it's the same for Rock Band 2 and Beatles Rock Band, and much higher for Rock Band 3. If I just go with what it suggests, it all feels perfect though. I used to spend hours playing around with manual calibration and could never get it right, so this has been a godsend for me.

Yes the auto calibration has been wonderful. It's so much nicer not having to think about it. Especially when I have everything going through an amp which definitely causes some lag as it does audio decoding and processing.

I'm not sure what you mean, then. As I said, the timings feel different, but the calibration system is the same. If you play on a CRT, you should set it to 0ms anyway.

The system they use, as it appears on screen, is the same. The settings it results in, thanks presumably to timing window changes in the game, are different.

As such, "the calibration settings are different" is an entirely correct thing to say.

I have a Yamaha electric guitar that I've never learned how to play (and can't play any other guitar either - bought them on a manchild whim).

Two questions:

1) Can/how do I plug it into Rock Band 3?

2) Is it a decent way to learn?

1) No; the game uses a special Squier controller featuring hardware that interacts with the software.

2) I'd recommend a teacher more than anything, though the game's features are alright as a supplement.

I have a Yamaha electric guitar that I've never learned how to play (and can't play any other guitar either - bought them on a manchild whim).

Two questions:

2) Is it a decent way to learn?

Im finding it pretty decent actually. I bought an electric guitar years ago and tried learning using one of them dummys books. I never really got past the chords as i never knew if i was doing okay enough to move on and the lessons just weren't grabbing me. But this is such a joy to learn. The lessons are pretty well explained and in small simple chunks that you always feel you are progressing. Im currently on the chord tutorials (it teaches you a whole lot of single string stuff before hand and even gets you to play a simple song) and whilst my learning has slowed down because the im finding the chords harder to do, i still find it fun and feel progression. Each time i come back to the chord tutorials i really feel as if im getting better and better.

It's also great being able to just do a song on easy pro guitar after a few of these tutorials and feel as if you are playing an actual song. Sure, the easy difficulty is a simplified version of the song but knowing that when i go up a difficulty all it'll be doing is adding more notes, it gives me more confidence. Plus you can learn individual parts of a song until you have perfected it. As for guitars im not sure which would be better. I have the mustang (the one with all the buttons) and i find the buttons are helping with my finger positions that i'd certainly find harder on the squire (full strings, not actual buttons). However because all the buttons are the same size, it does make finding which string your on a bit more difficult.

Of course loads of people will say spend your money on actual lessons but i find this gives me the encouragement and confidence to feel i can do this and being able to play when i want and for as long or short helps too.

I've been playing pro keys lately, at least partially to justify my original outlay on the chronically underused keyboard, and I'm impressed at how I've improved. I'm beginning to think sight-reading might actually be possible. It's slightly disheartening how much more difficult expert is over hard, though.

I think one problem with Pro Keys is that it takes longer to become fun since jumping the first hurdle of competency is harder.

I cannot get over how difficult Total Eclipse Of The Heart is on hard pro keys, for a song that's only rated tier 4 (or 5?).

Those three-button chords will be the death of me! I even went through the training for that song, (eventually) cleared every section 100% at full speed, and still can't get through the full song with more than two stars. The training only shows you a tiny bit of the song. Soooo hard! :angry:

It's true that your hands start to naturally go for the right positions, though. It's just going to take a while with this song, because there's so many different positions! Most of them requiring a thumb on black...

On most games, I can now easily get 95%+ on medium depending on the game (GH being more difficult, and RB3 with its intro of the orange key on every track). Making that shift to hard is tricky though - physically moving my hand up and down seems to require muscle memory that simply does not exist!

Determined to do it, though.

I've regularly been finding that the DLC songs on the Pro instruments are much more difficult than their tiers would suggest. It's like they use a different difficulty scale to the on-disc songs. Quite often I'll have a tier that I can clear with no problem then it's got two or three DLC songs in there too that are much, much more difficult. The two examples that spring to mind are Movin' Out on medium Pro Bass, which is up and down the neck and across all four strings in a very low tier, and Love Is A Battlefield on hard Pro Keys, which is just solid three-note chords again in a low tier.

The training only shows you a tiny bit of the song. Soooo hard! :angry:

There are two training modes for songs i think. One teaches you parts of the song whilst the other is the full song split into many parts. For example you'll get the chorus repeated 3 times though out the tutorial compared to the other training mode.

On most games, I can now easily get 95%+ on medium depending on the game (GH being more difficult, and RB3 with its intro of the orange key on every track). Making that shift to hard is tricky though - physically moving my hand up and down seems to require muscle memory that simply does not exist!

It's the biggest hurdle, man - after you master shifting up that one fret button, moving from Hard to Expert seems much simpler.

Usual course with Rock Band is learn it on Bass. Hard on Bass is a damn sight easier than Hard on Guitar, and if you start with 1* Hards there's usually only one or two fret changes in the entire song. Most people I know who successfully 'leveled-up' to Hard on Guitar did it this way.

Within 'Hard', the main tricks to learn are when to move your hands (this becomes the major key to success on the 4* and 5* songs) and getting over using 4 fingers like you've learned to on Medium. I mean you can, but it's not always the best way to do it. Usually sliding 2 or 3 fingers up and down those 5 fret keys becomes natural and makes the charting easier to cope with. IMO anyway.

Good Luck! :)

I've been struggling with calibration on a few of the Rock Bands (360) for the last couple of days.

I've tried Green Day, Lego and 3, all with differing results. Each time I attempt to manually calibrate it gives me different results. I can't seem to lock down a decent setting, it just feels off.

I'm sure I never had this issue with the first Rock Band. Does anybody have one of those auto calibration guitars (in the Lancashire area) that you would be willing to lend out for a day or so? Drop me a PM please.

Wouldn't using a wireless instrument (i.e. auto calibrating) give different results from a wired instrument anyway? I personally find if I auto calibrate for my wireless guitars, it seems to put my Ion drums out a little bit. Only really an issue on big RB nights and people are usually drunk anyway so dropped notes don't matter so much..

I spent ages only playing medium because I could not get the hang of that extra note. Every time I would completely mess up after because my hand position would get screwed up and I'd lose track over what finger was over which button. Funnily enough, it was only when I started playing Rock Band about a year ago that I started to learn. On the guitar hero games, there were some songs on medium that were pretty challenging for me still, so I never felt the need. On Rock Band all the medium tracks I tried - even the ones that were 5 stars in difficulty - were really easy to the point of being boring. So I ended up practising hard just because I pretty much had to for some challenge.

Fortunately, on hard anyway, the songs come in "chunks" where you either play the section of the song using just the notes from green to blue, or red to orange. I got into the habit of trying to play a song and learning when to switch hand postions. Then playing with my hand in the red-orange position as much as I could to get used to using different fingers for different colours. Eventually I got used to it and dont think about the position of my hand that much. I still make the odd mistake playing a green thinking I was on red for example, but it throws me a lot less now than it did.

Keep at it though - eventually it just kinda "clicks"!

Wouldn't using a wireless instrument (i.e. auto calibrating) give different results from a wired instrument anyway? I personally find if I auto calibrate for my wireless guitars, it seems to put my Ion drums out a little bit. Only really an issue on big RB nights and people are usually drunk anyway so dropped notes don't matter so much..

This isn't an issue I've had with my Ion drums, though it does make a little sense if the inherent lag in wireless is greater than that of wired. Could just be that I've learned to play the drums based on the calibration my guitar sets up.

And yes, Hard guitar eventually just clicks. It's such a rewarding jump as well, you're basically moving from a fun rhythm action game to feeling like you're playing the part. You aren't, of course (unless you're on Pro) but knowing you're strumming virtually every note on Expert makes such a difference, you'll wonder how you ever played on the lower levels.

Next week's DLC - Billy Joel Piano Challenge 6 pack

• "I Go to Extremes"

•    "Miami 2017 (Seen the Lights Go Out on Broadway)"

•    "My Life"

•    "Prelude/Angry Young Man" X

•    "Scenes from an Italian Restaurant"

•    "She's Always a Woman"

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/03/17/exclusive-hands-on-with-rock-band-3-s-piano-challenge-pack.aspx

Next week's DLC - Billy Joel Piano Challenge 6 pack

• "I Go to Extremes"

• "Miami 2017 (Seen the Lights Go Out on Broadway)"

• "My Life"

• "Prelude/Angry Young Man" X

• "Scenes from an Italian Restaurant"

• "She's Always a Woman"

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/03/17/exclusive-hands-on-with-rock-band-3-s-piano-challenge-pack.aspx

:wub:

I figured we'd probably get Scenes from an Italian Restaurant, hoped that we might possibly see Angry Young Man, but never dared to wish for Miami 2017. A brilliant, brilliant choice of tracks and I can't wait to play these.

Interestingly, still nothing at all from An Innocent Man. I wonder if they're holding back for a full album release at some point in the future?