rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Strawp

Rock Band!

The Billy Joel pack is predictably brilliant, though I love all the songs so much it would be hard for me to dislike it. But it's really great on keys (especially The Stranger, unexpectedly) and also really great on drums. Probably my single favourite DLC pack, and I've bought far too much over the years.

One thing that's bugging me now, though, is how ugly the game is. After the beauty of The Beatles: Rock Band, I always knew that stepping back to the main series would be a visual downgrade, but it's quite jarring. I think the graphics have actually got worse since RB1, or at least slid further into the Uncanny Valley. It seems impossible now to create a character that isn't angry-looking, and my keyboardist dances like he's broken his back. Also, I really wish you could disable the music videos, as those crazy psychedelic backgrounds are seriously off-putting. If I get the 5..4..3..2..1 intro now, I just quit and reload the song.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Are the Pro Drums worth £100+? As an upgrade from the original RB1 doohickeys. I feel like I'm missing out without cymbals.

Am I missing something obvious when creating a setlist. I inevitably end up near the bottom of the list of my songs when I'm done, and then have to scroll all the way up again just to click on the finish setlist icon. There must be a quick and easy way to select it as finished once I have the songs I want? Cheers

You can jump between sections, but the way it's accessed depends on the instrument (e.g. on guitar it's orange, on the keyboard it's the overdrive button).

Am I missing something obvious when creating a setlist. I inevitably end up near the bottom of the list of my songs when I'm done, and then have to scroll all the way up again just to click on the finish setlist icon. There must be a quick and easy way to select it as finished once I have the songs I want? Cheers

Presuming I've not just blundered into the middle of a conversation and got the wrong end of the stick, I hold down green to start creating a setlist and then hold down green again once I've added all the songs I want.

I'm confused now. Isn't green used to select the songs you want?

@Halo: I've obviously missed how to do that so far :/

I'm confused now. Isn't green used to select the songs you want?

@Halo: I've obviously missed how to do that so far :/

If I hold down green then it starts a setlist for me (as opposed to pressing it once on a song to just do that one). Once it's in setlist mode I then press green once on each song I want, once I've selected them all I hold down green again and it ends the setlist, giving me options for doing it as a one off, saving it etc.

Yup, for guitar or vocals, it's holding down Green or A on the Xbox pad. I presume with keyboards and drums, you can just hold A.

I occasionally forget though and keep bringing up the overshell menu by hitting start. :)

Are the Pro Drums worth £100+? As an upgrade from the original RB1 doohickeys. I feel like I'm missing out without cymbals.

I'd say so, it's what I did. The cymbals really add another dimension. Also if you order them from the madcatz site they are only 75 quid!

Purely hypothetically, what's the best Rock Band set-up you can buy, money no object? Is it still the Ion drum kit? Are there guitars out there that last more than a few months?

Purely hypothetically, what's the best Rock Band set-up you can buy, money no object? Is it still the Ion drum kit? Are there guitars out there that last more than a few months?

A real electronic drumkit + midi-pro adapter, real MIDI-compatible keyboard, Fender Squier Stratocaster guitar x 2, studio-quality microphone + USB adapter x 3, keyboard stand, mic stand, drum stool.

And an Xbox in a pear tree.

• Upvote 1

A real electronic drumkit + midi-pro adapter, real MIDI-compatible keyboard, Fender Squier Stratocaster guitar x 2, studio-quality microphone + USB adapter x 3, keyboard stand, mic stand, drum stool.

And an Xbox in a pear tree.

Sounds great. :)

If you're using a real electronic kit and keyboard, how do you control the menus as they won't have the 360/PS3 controls built in?

Sounds great. :)

If you're using a real electronic kit and keyboard, how do you control the menus as they won't have the 360/PS3 controls built in?

The Midi controller you need has the relevant controls on it (d-pad, Start + Select/Back, face buttons, Overdrive button, that modulator thing for keyboard).

Right I'm running out of time to sort a new years eve party and need some advice.

I've got rockband 2 and the limited beatles box on the 360 - wireless drum and guitar etc.

I need another instrument and so I'm either look at a regular axe for about 60 notes, or RB3 plus keyboard for about 90.

What's the best route?

Bit concerned that there prob aren't many chances to use the keyboard really and doubt there are any on the existing RB2 and betles stuff I have.

Cheers.

The keyboard can be used to play the guitar or bass bits as well, but the keyboard songs on RB3 are a little hit and miss. If you're going t get DLC then I'd say Keyboard + RB3

You can get new guitar hero 3 (les paul) guitars from Toys R Us for 30 quid, if that helps. I used one for a couple of years and while not quite as as the beatles guitars, it's perfectly usable.

The keyboard can be used to play the guitar or bass bits as well, but the keyboard songs on RB3 are a little hit and miss. If you're going t get DLC then I'd say Keyboard + RB3

Oh right thanks - didn't know that.

I don't think I am gonna bother with the DLC that much so might just guitar it then, but you know it's hard to not just 3 it up...

You can get new guitar hero 3 (les paul) guitars from Toys R Us for 30 quid, if that helps. I used one for a couple of years and while not quite as as the beatles guitars, it's perfectly usable.

Right thanks. I have thought about that but I really like the RB ones now. Didnt think of the warriors of rock GH pack as thet can be had for 40 odd quid somewhere but Can't be bothered with another game.

If only I'd got a Gretsch Duo when they were on sale...

This Pro Guitar lark really works doesn't it? Managed to pause The Power of Love partway through and translate the main chorus riffs to my acoustic with no troubles - admittedly it's not the most taxing chord sequence but before RB I'd never even think to try and play it. :) I also made a bit of ingame progress with Radar Love and Saturday Night's Alright... so I'm pretty pleased. :D

Uh oh:

A group of former shareholders in Rock Band developers Harmonix - including company CEO Alex Rigopulos and his co-founder Eran Egozy - are suing parent company Viacom, amid claims massive bonus payments are being avoided.

Woah. I'm almost certain when it was announced they had losses of $134 million for the year (or something), it was almost certainly Hollywood accounting. Hope this doesn't become an early, ugly end to Harmonix :(

Help!

I spent ages yesterday going through the songs by difficulty on Expert. I managed to 5 star a load and 100% about 5 of them.

I'm logged in the same profile, my stats haven't changed in the career pages, but in the library it shows me as having 0 stars for all 378 songs.

It's a pain because I was using that as my bar to see how far I'd come and what was next.

It's also not showing me on the leaderboard.

Anyone help? For reference, Rock Band 3 on 360, Xbox Live Gold, playing on Pro Keys.

Press the Back button on the song select screen. From there click on the "display scores for" option, and change it to pro keys. It's probably on ordinary keys by default.

• Upvote 2

This Pro Guitar lark really works doesn't it? Managed to pause The Power of Love partway through and translate the main chorus riffs to my acoustic with no troubles - admittedly it's not the most taxing chord sequence but before RB I'd never even think to try and play it. :) I also made a bit of ingame progress with Radar Love and Saturday Night's Alright... so I'm pretty pleased. :D

Wat?! Have you got a Squier or a button-jobby Mustang?

Only a Mustang. :) Admittedly the effect of tuition is less immediate than it would be on a Squier, but I can still take the basic chord patterns and apply them to a guitar. Sure, I could just as easily look up tablature online, but as I said, I wouldn't have even thought to try and play the song before RB3...

(I don't think I'll get a Squier either - I've spent most of my life on acoustics and I'm worried that the Squier would sit in a corner and pick up dust in comparison... ;) )

SOLD

Hey Guys:

We’re happy to confirm the news today that the sale of the company is complete. We appreciate all of your support, comments and warm wishes in the preceding few weeks.

Viacom and MTV Networks have been an amazing home for us over the past 4 years. It’s where we launched both Rock Band and Dance Central, worked with The Beatles, Green Day, AC/DC, The Who and thousands of other artists. We want to take a moment to thank everyone in that organization who helped make these awesome games possible.

We’re excited to be returning to our roots as an independent and privately owned studio. As for what it means for you, the DLC schedule marches on for Rock Band, we will continue our support of previously released titles and we’re hard at work on some unannounced projects that we think you’re going to be pumped about.

• Upvote 1