M.Night Shyamalan's The Happening

This. I think for this more than any of his other films he came up with an idea which he loved but just didn't know where to take it.

What's incredible is that Fox asked him to rewrite it. Christ knows how bad the original script was. Unless when he started filming he just thought 'fuck you guys, I'm going with my first draft'.

I haven't seen the film, but I've read that the ending was changed:

the toxic just disappears in the finished version (because the peak period of the toxin was over or something), but in the original draft the plants were like 'mood rings'. They reacted to how people felt. If people had as much good feelings about each other as possible, they would survive.

Re: the above spoiler text: I did think, at one point, that Night would go down the route of that with the plant guy. It was almost set up for it

the plant guy talked to the plants and loved them, looked after them etc. I thought that section in the field with the two groups might have revealed him and his wife not dying as they had cared for the plants. Obviously I was wrong but I think it could have been possible, if a bit ridiculous

I reckon the commentary on the DVD would be a great listen.

The acting reminds me of the kids in the Goonies, though the kids in the Goonies had the excuse of being very young actors during their ropey bits.

This has to be the worst film I've seen and ages, even Jumper was better than this.

why was marky Mark and his bird speaking "like that"?

When it finally ended the first thing my girlfriend said was "what was the point". Pretty much sums it up.

EDIT - right afterwards i put on another Marky Mark film, "The Big Hit". That was awesome!

Just watched this because of the hate and i fucking loved it but not for the reasons the director thinks i should.

The bit with the lions ripping off the guys arms and the woman says "what kind of terrorists are these?" had me pausing the movie so i could laugh for a good 10 minutes, Terrorists? they're fucking lions you stupid bint.

The old woman putting her face through the window belonged in the This week i have mostly been sketch in the fastshow.

Running from the wind, Seriously running from the fucking wind, not only is that one of the funniest concepts i have ever had the chance to dissect alone but the fact that the angry grass can control the wind where these people go is astonishing.

Please go see this, it's comedy gold, M night shamalanalanalan must have been thinking "I wonder what i can get away with?" he must have been right? no way he knew this was meant to be taken seriously.

Just watched this because of the hate and i fucking loved it but not for the reasons the director thinks i should.

The bit with the lions ripping off the guys arms and the woman says "what kind of terrorists are these?" had me pausing the movie so i could laugh for a good 10 minutes, Terrorists? they're fucking lions you stupid bint.

The old woman putting her face through the window belonged in the This week i have mostly been sketch in the fastshow.

Running from the wind, Seriously running from the fucking wind, not only is that one of the funniest concepts i have ever had the chance to dissect alone but the fact that the angry grass can control the wind where these people go is astonishing.

Please go see this, it's comedy gold, M night shamalanalanalan must have been thinking "I wonder what i can get away with?" he must have been right? no way he knew this was meant to be taken seriously.

I couldn't agree more. The ending was just begging to be screamed at. Chris Morris couldn't have done better

"It hasn't happened anywhere else in world" cue angry scientists face at American ignorance.

Over to the cheese eating surrender monkeys because you know they cause almost as much if not more damage to the planet as America, China would have made more sense surely?

And the film goes on a loop but this time in french.

Just watched this. And coming from a massive Shyamalan fan, this was a total joke. All the bad points have already been raised, so I won't list my faults.

I watched this after watching Son of Rambow, so man I've had a bad day's movie viewing.

Maybe i completely missed a bit but i noticed that joey is credited as M. Night yet i dont recall ever seeing him on screen or hearing him. Was he actually in it?

He probably cut himself out of the film because his performance wasn't, for once, the worst thing in it.

What was the point of this film? I was prepared to look beyond the laughably bad script and terrible acting as the opening twenty minutes where interesting. It never went anywhere and the ending was inconclusive, unsatisfying and borderline retarded. This was a badly made, stupid, pointless film. It makes Lady In The Water actually look ok and that really is saying something.

• 1 month later...

The first 20 minutes or so led me to believe all the bad thing I'd heard about this was untrue...but OMFG did it take a turn for some of the worst things I've ever seen. The "Let me think, GIVE ME A SECOND TO THINK" bit had me in stiches, it was even worse than anything Nick Cage did in Wicker Man. :blink:

• 1 month later...

I'll just jump on the "Worst film I've ever had the misfortune of watching" bandwagon here.

But I did get a laugh out of it at the end when Shyamalan's name bangs up on the screen straight after the film ends. Like he's basically saying to the audience, "Fuck you! I know it was shit, I knew all along. I've taken your money, your time and there's nothing you can do about it." Except maybe to buy the DVD, which will not doubt have an extended ending or some shit. The mans a genius.

• 2 weeks later...

My missus has rented this from Blockbusters and it has "extended version too shocking for cinema" emblazoned on the cover on a sticker. She always seems to rent stuff on Tuesday and Wednesday when Champions League games are on Sky as there's "nothing on telly tonight" :)

She could have chosen Diary of The Dead but apparently zombies are horrible and she'd have nightmares.

At least I can act smug if it is as bad as this thread suggests and therefore demand to decide on our next rental. I remember Wahlberg being on Jonathan Ross and Ross seemed to like the film (and he's not a bad critic)... I am just living in hope.

I wonder what is so shocking as it's only a 15.

He'll be a changed man when he posts in this thread again.

Poor sod.

What a pile of steaming dribbly horse shit. I actually feel quite offended and this film should be banned. Terrible script, worse acting, pointless message (we know we're killing the planet) and 86 minutes too long. Not sure what was too shocking for the cinema. The lawnmower scene perhaps?

The first five minutes got me interested but what followed was an abomination. I wouldn't say it was the worse film ever made but I've seen better episodes of CSI Miami.