EDF 2017

Gique

Ah man.. Im on Mission 7, on Normal. Ive a standard assault rifle, and a missile launcher. I have to take out two big alien dropships which is done by shooting them underneath when the hatch opens to let the ants out. Took out number 1 easily, but have spent best part of an hour and a half trying to get the second. No matter how much I shoot at its core when it opens, it never dies. It looks like the assault rifle hasnt the range to reach it, whilst the missiles just shoot off in completley the wrong direction and again seem to never reach the thing.

To make things worse, I blew up a building I was running up to, and now my guy is 'stuck' inside the rubble and nothing I can do can get him out.

A huge waste of time there, I didnt mind so much as the amount of things Ive collected would of levelled my character up a lot, but now its all to waste :/

yeah, there a re a few levels where you can get stuck if you don't have a rocket launcher or sniper rifle.. a bit annoying, but not a great loss. Missile launchers were my least favourite weapon int he game, simply because they dont fucking lock on to what you want them to.

You start the game on about 200 health don't you. I'd say levelling up your health was pretty important.

Its nice to have, I collect the armour upgrades that I find in the level, but getting and using the correct weapons is overwhelmingly more important, and the key to getting them is playing on the hardest difficulty you can take.

..but you'll get stuck on the top two difficulty levels if you don't have about 5000HP - makes more difference than the weapons.. You'll unlock the weapons you need with no hassles as you start the higher difficulties, anyway.. I do recommend trying occasional stages on hard/very hard even on an easy mode playthrough though; getting the AR20 early makes most of the game a breeze :P

..but you'll get stuck on the top two difficulty levels if you don't have about 5000HP - makes more difference than the weapons..

I've completed hardest with well under 2000HP. Health gives you the wiggle room but I really don't see the point in grinding it up.

Just done the mission (9 I think?) where the robots first appear and you have to destroy them as they approach the shoreline during sunset, its such a gorgeous level :P I love the sense of scale, the explosions as the robots blew up were massive. On Normal, so far, its really really easy though :D

Just done the mission (9 I think?) where the robots first appear and you have to destroy them as they approach the shoreline during sunset, its such a gorgeous level :P I love the sense of scale, the explosions as the robots blew up were massive. On Normal, so far, its really really easy though :D

That's the one that got me. Pure amaze.

I've completed hardest with well under 2000HP. Health gives you the wiggle room but I really don't see the point in grinding it up.

I found the extra HP really useful when the spiders started turning up on inferno. They drain your health sooo quickly. Cursed spiders :P

Just done the mission (9 I think?) where the robots first appear and you have to destroy them as they approach the shoreline during sunset, its such a gorgeous level ^_^ I love the sense of scale, the explosions as the robots blew up were massive. On Normal, so far, its really really easy though :)

Fantastic level.

I played some more last night and have now done all levels from 20 onwards on at least easy normal and hard.

Now I've got to go back and do all the early levels probably go for all difficulties including hardest from the start.

Weapon selection is the most important factor without a doubt for taking on the more difficult levels. But making sure you pick up the armour boxes is also vital. I haven't done any grinding and have about 1700 health at the moment.

Played this for the first time, co-op with my brother all the way through easy with an hour's break in between the 6 hours it took for us to complete.

Fantastic game, after we finished it we thought we'd try the first level on inferno and got rightly pwned ^_^

Got to say at the £8 I paid for this, the game is a steal. Had reservations about it, and it did start a little weak (small amount of ants here and there in sparse levels) but am onto mission 14 now and have seen much amazing things - the walking fortress thats spewing out flying robots and massive walking ones is just incredible, my entire screen was packed with explosions and god knows what else and this is only on Normal difficulty. Already its far exceeded my initial expectations.

Got to say at the £8 I paid for this, the game is a steal. Had reservations about it, and it did start a little weak (small amount of ants here and there in sparse levels) but am onto mission 14 now and have seen much amazing things - the walking fortress thats spewing out flying robots and massive walking ones is just incredible, my entire screen was packed with explosions and god knows what else and this is only on Normal difficulty. Already its far exceeded my initial expectations.

Whenever I see this thread bumped I always remember the level with the ants swarming on the huge pepper-pot style skyscraper, which you can take out with a rocket from halfway across the map and see them tumble down to earth. :lol:

By the way, found a way of letting your player 2 (who gets bugger all in the way of achievements) in effect "copy" your game save onto his profile and get all the achievements too.

It's post number 7.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/s...ead.php?t=56173

I tried it a few minutes ago and it worked for me.

Does this still work for anyone else? Not happening for me :lol:

Well took 10 agonising days to arrive, but it was worth it. The improved frame rate is probably the best thing about it. However, dare I say it, the graphics look really good. Perhaps not in screen shots, but in motion it looks great. The smoke trails, the way the "Hector's" flinch when they're hit.

And that mech is a great addition. A minigun, rocket launcher and flame thrower you can fire all at the same time. It's really an engine of death. The jump jets are a particularly nice bonus, but it just makes me nostalgic for jet pack girl.

Still can't decide if this one or the PS2 version is better, but I think we can all agree*, both are truly amazing games.

* Not an invitation for joyless pedants to wander in and say "I hated it. I don't like having fun!"

Well took 10 agonising days to arrive, but it was worth it. The improved frame rate is probably the best thing about it. However, dare I say it, the graphics look really good. Perhaps not in screen shots, but in motion it looks great. The smoke trails, the way the "Hector's" flinch when they're hit.

And that mech is a great addition. A minigun, rocket launcher and flame thrower you can fire all at the same time. It's really an engine of death. The jump jets are a particularly nice bonus, but it just makes me nostalgic for jet pack girl.

Still can't decide if this one or the PS2 version is better, but I think we can all agree*, both are truly amazing games.

* Not an invitation for joyless pedants to wander in and say "I hated it. I don't like having fun!"

Graphically, I like it too. Especially on my new TV. One of the best parts for me trying to snipe a drop ship through a crowd of ships with the screen shaking and explosions going off all around you. It's pretty intense when you just get the final shot off before the doors shut.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit late to the party with this game, just started playing it properly today. I was intending for just a quick go but that ended up being a 6 hour session :) Absolutely love this game, I think the graphics for the backgrounds look fantastic, especially the ones based in Tokyo, they have captured the look of the city perfectly. MS should really invest in Sandlot making them a sequel to this but with a much higher budget and market the hell out of it. But then again, I think that half of the charm of EDF is its obvious low budget :)

Talking of sequels, is there any news of a next game in this series? This on LIVE would be amazing fun.

A sequel has been mentioned a couple of times now in developer interviews in Famitsu. I assume EDF has done far better than the publisher and developer ever expected through word of mouth and forums like these (if somebody has some source to back this assumption up, I would be very grateful) and that a sequel to the most fun game ever made is inevitable.

A couple of pages back I posted about an interview in Famitsu with a couple of Japanese publishers and their plans for the 360. D3 mentioned an EDF sequel and that they were looking into online play and female characters (jetpack girl from the PS2 version).

Obviously, EDF with online co-op would be the best thing EVER! That interview was published in the January issue of 2008 iirc, and since then we've heard nothing about EDF2. I really really really really hope they announce something soon. Every other game can go fuck itself if EDF2 is coming out.

Technically it's EDF4, 2017 is the third game in the series. :)

No, that's not true. The first was called Monster Attack over here, the second global defence force and the third earth defence force.

if you are going by the original japan name then it's "chiyou boogeruin something" or other.

EDF2 = chiyou boouie 4 which is definitely not the same as EDF4.

No, that's not true. The first was called Monster Attack over here, the second global defence force and the third earth defence force.

if you are going by the original japan name then it's "chiyou boogeruin something" or other.

EDF2 = chiyou boouie 4 which is definitely not the same as EDF4.

Chickkyyo Byongyonganang or whatever means Earth Defence Force in Japanese.