EDF 2017

Gique

Can you really not accept that some people would prefer manual control over reloads? The standard method of reloading in every game ever?

Jesus, it's such a minor thing, I'm amazed that people are so in love with this that they won't even accept it as a criticism.

I do accept the criticism, but as you say, it's such a minor thing it's nit-picking, at best. Unless you're the kind of player that can't take a step forward in a FPS unless the magazine is full? Try living life on the edge.

The game has been built around the fact that there is no reload button (I assume), it's not like they made Gears of War, and then forgot to put in a reload button. If you're struggling on a level because of the ammunition situation, you're probably using the wrong weapons for that level.

EDIT - Although I do realise I'm coming across as something as an apologist for the game. Something I apologise for...

Indeed.

probably because :

A: it's a budget game?

B: a valiant attempt by a very small dev team to make something simple and fun with a lot of heart, that actually plays better than a lot of much more grandiose games that take themselves way too seriously?

C: you should just enjoy it for what it is, a simple fun game , because they're not going to change it just for your requirements?

D: instand reload would mean firepower all the time, it would probably be be too easy - risk vs reward, y'know?

not being protective, just stating why people expecting tailor made perfection is a bit silly, maybe the 'simple 2000' name points toward their ethos regarding these games?

Shouldn´t matter.

What requirements? I'm enjoying it alright, don't worry about that. It's just not the second coming some of you are claiming it to be. Like you said, it's a simple, fun game, but it isn't really more than that. It has its faults, man, live with it. I know I am.

evidently not, by the list of your complaints, how can you expect a game like this to match something like gears that cost millions to make??

fuck sake, it's like someone comparing the production values of a student move to a summer blockbuster.

Indeed.

Anyway, for those who are struggling with the non-invertable controls (true gamers play with the Y-axis inverted! \m/), get the MadCatz-pad. I got one because of its better d-pad for some proper Street Fighter-action, but it also has turbo-buttons and... an invert-switch! Just switch it on, and you've got the Y-axis inverted. Works like a charm.

It's an amazing pad; too bad it ain't wireless or it would've been perfect. (The D-pad ain't super, though, even if it's miles better than the one on the default pad.)

X360CPB.gifX360CPW.gif

The switch is on the back, btw.

I have a madcatz pad that looks identical to that and it offers none of this added functionality (but with the sweet ass d-pad). So people should check what they are buying

Thats because its a "Madkatz Pro" version.

Its had fair reviews, but their build quailty is quite poor from my own Ps2 experiences (IE be careful if you drop it).

Its very well designed as such though - average D-pad and slightly different triggers and spacings.

The main fault is the facia buttons not having the same responce as the orignal (although i think their spongy on that).

Might get one....jusr not sure i need one for a Dpad enough.

evidently not, by the list of your complaints, how can you expect a game like this to match something like gears that cost millions to make??

fuck sake, it's like someone comparing the production values of a student move to a summer blockbuster.

Only if the student film's made by a retard. There's no excusing the shitty reload function and I can't fathom how anybody could excuse the lack of an autosave in this day and age. Beyond that, everything else is a design decision, and despite making a fantastic first impression, I don't think the fun factor sustains itself over the course of 50 missions (nevermind the harder difficulty settings).

Don't get me wrong, it's still exceptionally good for a budget game.

For all the talk about it being good for a budget game, EDF it has far fewer poor design decisions than many big budget games. The only thing that it does that is to the detriment to how it plays, and is the only thing that can lead to player death is when it takes control of the camera for several seconds to look up at the motherships in the sky. At least you don't take damage while it's doing this, but as soon as the camera returns to your control, you can be in the middle of a swarm of ants/spiders/hectors.

Lost Planet's cycle of taking damage, falling over, standing back up and instantly taking damage and falling over again has far more of a negative impact than EDF's lack of a reload. But as someone has already mentioned, the lack of the reload means you have to choose your weapons carefully. But saying that, manual reloading should be there.

The sheer number of on-screen enemies, often with no slowdown, isn't something I'd have ever expected from a budget game, and puts many AAA games to shame. EDF is more technically impressive than something like CoD3, a game that must have cost several times as much to develop.

It has faults but none of them are crippling and are forgotten after a while. Personally this has been my favourite game on the 360 so far, I love the fact that it's really basic and I can just jump on it for a couple of missions as I have less time these days for the kind of long sessions that more complicated games like GOW and Lost Planet require.

I actually like the vehicles, the only one that feels broken is the mech as it's a pig to turn round, the rest are really useful in the right situations.

For all the talk about it being good for a budget game, EDF it has far fewer poor design decisions than many big budget games. The only thing that it does that is to the detriment to how it plays, and is the only thing that can lead to player death is when it takes control of the camera for several seconds to look up at the motherships in the sky. At least you don't take damage while it's doing this, but as soon as the camera returns to your control, you can be in the middle of a swarm of ants/spiders/hectors.

Lost Planet's cycle of taking damage, falling over, standing back up and instantly taking damage and falling over again has far more of a negative impact than EDF's lack of a reload. But as someone has already mentioned, the lack of the reload means you have to choose your weapons carefully. But saying that, manual reloading should be there.

The sheer number of on-screen enemies, often with no slowdown, isn't something I'd have ever expected from a budget game, and puts many AAA games to shame. EDF is more technically impressive than something like CoD3, a game that must have cost several times as much to develop.

You can turn the annoying camera control off in the options menu.

If it had a reload button, it would change the balance of the weapons. That example of the Lysander sniper rifle earlier, with the three-second delay inbetween shots, if you could reload whenever you liked, why would you use anything other than the Lysander? Certain weapons favour certain environments and certain enemies. All the weapons have advantages and drawbacks, one of which is being caught with no ammo when you're surrounded by Giant Spiders. It's futile moaning about something that isn't in the game as though it should be by virtue of its genre. Why can't you enter buildings? Why can't you crouch behind scenery? Why can't you dual-wield? Why can't you melee attack? All of these are pretty much staple gameplay elements in this action genre and none of them are included in the game. And why does the main character roll faster than he runs?

level 14 = utter insanity. can't believe what was being thrown at me there -waves of fighters, hectors and more fighters all coming from the belly of a robot the size of a small country which is also firing lasers and plasma beams and stuff :D wow i love ths game

set it to a lightning bolt custom soundtrack for maximum fun!

level 14 = utter insanity. can't believe what was being thrown at me there -waves of fighters, hectors and more fighters all coming from the belly of a robot the size of a small country which is also firing lasers and plasma beams and stuff :D wow i love ths game

set it to a lightning bolt custom soundtrack for maximum fun!

.::: There's a better variant of that level later on. The best epic hectic fight I've encountered so far.

Anyway, for those who are struggling with the non-invertable controls (true gamers play with the Y-axis inverted! \m/)

You mean there's no way to invert the controls in this game? "Push up on the stick to look up" only? Even if you've got inverted controls set in your 360 profile?

You mean there's no way to invert the controls in this game? "Push up on the stick to look up" only? Even if you've got inverted controls set in your 360 profile?

You can invert the controls - even left to right.

As stated though it doesn't then invert when you're in the vehicles, which is strange...but the vehicles aren't much hat anyway so it's not a great loss.

This game is amazing! how has it got such poor reviews? This beats the shit out of lost planet, I swear a spider jumped on me yesterday and I unleashed a double barrel shotgun into his abdomen as he landed on me and...... HE FLEW INTO ORBIT! no lies it went up and up and up then out of sight! I almost cried.

And mission 14 or something where the massive fire robot unleashes the 5 robots on the beach, and you blow one up and then theres 4 more that just carry on stomping through the flames, enough to give you nightmares!!!

Im in love!

Ashame I don't read Dutchanese!

.::: Het is best makkelijk. In sommige opzichten lijkt het zelfs heel erg op Engels... Nou ja bepaalde woorden dan zoals ehr... chips... (Wat jullie dan weer crisps noemen, maar goed...)

I'll see if I can get English translations of them.

I think the game has been treated as a full price title in most places which perhaps isn't fair on the game, though I would say if you're going to take in to account the graphics, audio, level design, animation, multiplayer (or lack there of) and everything else, a score of around 6-7 is perhaps about right. If it was based on purely the gameplay, then that would be a different story.

I think the game has been treated as a full price title in most places which perhaps isn't fair on the game, though I would say if you're going to take in to account the graphics, audio, level design, animation, multiplayer (or lack there of) and everything else, a score of around 6-7 is perhaps about right. If it was based on purely the gameplay, then that would be a different story.

.::: I don't see how graphics could take a game's score downward (uh-oh, might be the start of something horrible) unless it would be a giant limping mess with no framerate at all.

On this type of game, the graphics do add a fair bit in my opinion, that's not to say EDF is ugly, but it certainly isn't on par with most 360 / PS3 game. I don't see why that should be a controversial point.