rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Capwn

3 easy cool meals I make

2 are dead easy and cheap to make and the final one is my fave dish but involves a little more work.

1) Tuna fried rice.

Boil rice. Simmer onions, garlic and tuna. Mix everything while adding some soysauce. Can add chopped peppers and mushrooms if feeling fancy.

2) Blue cheese pasta

This is a brilliantly simple meal and tastes awsome but I find most people hate blue cheese! Also it can create a really bad smell if anyone in the house doesn't like the smell of blue cheese. Anyway, simply boil pasta and then 5 mins before pasta is ready throw into another pan around half a portion of blue cheese (around half a triangle that they usually come in) with no more than a teaspoon of butter and a splash of milk. Try to balance it so its like a thick cream. Then mix it all up.

3) Some famous Italian dish.

Boil pasta. In another pan add in quite a bit on oil (enough to cover the base)and then throw in onions and garlic. Then add chopped DRY chilli (the dark red stuff not the 'fruit' looking chili peppers). Then add anchovies. When pasta is about halfway throw in lots of broccoli. For at least 10mins. At the end mix it all up. Nice looking meal and tastes great hot or cold.

1) I can't believe it's not Nandos.

Marinade chicken breast (after scoring it a little) in Nando's hot peri-peri marinade overnight. Then grill. Meanwhile, shove a pepper in the oven and boil some rice. Once the pepper's roasted (say, 20-25 minutes) cut the top off, hollow out, and stuff with the rice before liberally coating in hot sauce. Shove back in oven to keep warm if you need to let the chicken finish cooking, and serve. The rice is a bit bland to be honest but it all works out quite tastily.

2) Pasta madness.

Cook pasta. Fry some small pieces of bacon until crispy. Add sundried tomato and/or artichoke antipasto, tomato and basil sauce, the bacon, and some creme fraiche if you have it, to the pasta. Serve piping hot with liberal chunks of mozarella, crunchy salad and slices of garlic bread also laden in mozarella.

3) Not quite teriyaki.

Marinade some strips of chicken overnight in Kikkoman teriyaki marinade. Stir fry until browned, then add baby corn and sugar snap peas with a little soy sauce. Stir fry for a few more minutes until the vegetables are hot and serve with white rice.

I'm quite enjoying marinades just now as they require very little effort for maximum deliciousness.

Blue cheese and anchovies. Adam regularly put me off my dinner when I lived with him...

One of my frequent 'lazy snacks' is boiling up a load of conchigle, draining it, then throwing in a tin of tuna, some sweetcorn, oregano, pepper, and stir it all up with a bit of mayo. Some times I add peppers or chopped onion if there's any about.

Quick 'lazy' snacks are something i've been wondering about for quite a while. I keep gorging myself on a massive meal in the evening, then feeling really sleepy. I'd much rather have about 4-5 smaller snack/meals, paced throughout the day...

3) Some famous Italian dish.

I'll name it for you - 'il puzzo grande'.

1. Spaghetti ala carbinara

Fry pancetta or bacon until crispy. Add a splash of white wine. Turn off the heat, add a little butter, and dunk freshly cooked spaghetti into the pan. Mix together, then pour over a blend of seasoning, one large egg and a large egg yolk, a little cream if it's available, and plenty of parmesan cheese. Mix in the pan until the residual heat of the spaghetti cooks the eggy, cheesy mixture so it clings to everything.

2. At-the-counter coffee cake.

Not a meal, but, after cornbread, the easiest cake I know. Mix dry ingredients (sugar, baking powder, plain flour, cinnamon, salt) in one bowl, and wet ingredients (butter, egg, possibly milk) in another. Add the wet bowl to the dry bowl and stir until just mixed together. Pour into a lined cake tin. Mix together the streusel ingredients (sugar, plain flour, cinnamon, nutmeg) and sprinkle evenly on top of the cake mixture. Drizzle over melted butter and bake in oven.

3. Chilli I

Brown onion, garlic, minced beef and stewing beef in a large pan. Add in tinned tomatoes, dark ale, strong brewed coffee, beef stock, dark brown sugar, blended chilli powder, cumin seeds, cocoa powder, oregano, cayenne, coriander, salt, two tins drained kidney beans, pure chilli powder for heat. Cook for one and a half hours. Add another two tins of drained kidney beans, taste the chilli to see if the heat level's right and if necessary, add more pure chilli powder.

1. Spaghetti ala carbinara

Fry pancetta or bacon until crispy. Add a splash of white wine. Turn off the heat, add a little butter, and dunk freshly cooked spaghetti into the pan. Mix together, then pour over a blend of seasoning, one large egg and a large egg yolk, a little cream if it's available, and plenty of parmesan cheese. Mix in the pan until the residual heat of the spaghetti cooks the eggy, cheesy mixture so it clings to everything.

2. At-the-counter coffee cake.

Not a meal, but, after cornbread, the easiest cake I know. Mix dry ingredients (sugar, baking powder, plain flour, cinnamon, salt) in one bowl, and wet ingredients (butter, egg, possibly milk) in another. Add the wet bowl to the dry bowl and stir until just mixed together. Pour into a lined cake tin. Mix together the streusel ingredients (sugar, plain flour, cinnamon, nutmeg) and sprinkle evenly on top of the cake mixture. Drizzle over melted butter and bake in oven.

3. Chilli I

Brown onion, garlic, minced beef and stewing beef in a large pan. Add in tinned tomatoes, dark ale, strong brewed coffee, beef stock, dark brown sugar, blended chilli powder, cumin seeds, cocoa powder, oregano, cayenne, coriander, salt, two tins drained kidney beans, pure chilli powder for heat. Cook for one and a half hours. Add another two tins of drained kidney beans, taste the chilli to see if the heat level's right and if necessary, add more pure chilli powder.

4 tins of kidney beans to 1 tin of tomatoes, you sure?

4 tins of kidney beans to 1 tin of tomatoes, you sure?

Yup. I did forget the tomato puree, though. Here's the original recipe:

INGREDIENTS

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

2 onions, chopped

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 pound ground beef

3/4 pound beef sirloin, cubed

1 (14.5 ounce) can peeled and diced tomatoes with juice

1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle dark beer

1 cup strong brewed coffee

2 (6 ounce) cans tomato puree

14 fluid ounces beef stock

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

3 1/2 tablespoons chili powder

1 tablespoon cumin seeds

1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

1 teaspoon ground coriander

1 teaspoon salt

4 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans

4 fresh hot chile peppers, seeded and chopped

DIRECTIONS

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook onions, garlic, ground beef and cubed sirloin in oil for 10 minutes, or until the meat is well browned and the onions are tender.

Mix in the diced tomatoes with juice, dark beer, coffee, tomato paste and beef broth. Season with brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, cocoa powder, oregano, cayenne pepper, coriander and salt. Stir in 2 cans of the beans and hot chile peppers. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.

Stir in the 2 remaining cans of beans, and simmer for another 30 minutes.