IGNORED

Wii Virtual Console

Harmunt

2/ they weren't the same old games we've been sold as snes titles, GBA remakes, GBA 'classics' etc. It's usual Nintendo mercenary milking, but people see the fuzzy cuddly Nintendo brand and forget that. The same Mario world they charged 29.99 for on the GBA? Get out of town. Whats next...VC versions of the GBA games that were converted from snes originals?

The VC is about more than just re-releasing games, though. It provides the first real database of retro titles, preserved just as they were when they were originally released. Gaming needs more initiatives like the VC so the history of our hobby is properly preserved and displayed for everyone to enjoy. Some people may not want a game again after they bought it on SNES and GBA in the past, but there will always be someone who does. Not everyone has played Mario World.

Anyone hazard a guess as to what's going to happen to Virtual Console (as a service and in terms of our downloads) when the Wii reaches the end of its lifespan? Both its market lifespan (when Nintendo release their next machine) and its working lifespan (when it kicks the bucket). I mean, if your Wii goes wrong, you can send it back to Nintendo to be repaired at your expense with download access to your VC titles provided, but what if the Virtual Console servers for the Wii are switched off, so you can't redownload your games? And of course, you'll have to keep your Wii under your telly. No matter how backwards compatable the Wii's replacement is, there won't necessarily be a way to play your Virtual Console puchases on it.

Basically I'm trying to think ahead. It's all well and good calling it "iTunes for games" but when your games are locked to a particular piece of hardware and the service may not be platform-agnostic, it raises some serious questions.

The VC is about more than just re-releasing games, though. It provides the first real database of retro titles, preserved just as they were when they were originally released. Gaming needs more initiatives like the VC so the history of our hobby is properly preserved and displayed for everyone to enjoy. Some people may not want a game again after they bought it on SNES and GBA in the past, but there will always be someone who does. Not everyone has played Mario World.

Wrong wrong wrong.

The Wii VC is in no sense a database. It doesn't preserve accurately (it's emulation is less accurate than freeware emulators - see Mario Kart 64 as an example). The games aren't preserved, they're offered as purchases. It's a money making excercise, pure and simple. That's fine, they're good games, Nintendo deserve to mine their history. Only they seem to be bringing out the same old titles and guess what, the same old Nintendo fans lap them up.

Lets look at some examples:

Super Mario World came out on: Snes, Snes re-issue, Snes Mario Allstars, GBA SMW and now VC SMW.

Zelda: Ocarina came out on: N64, N64 Ltd Edition Gold cart, Gamecube Zelda WW bundle, Gamecube Zelda WW bonus disc, VC edition.

Zelda 1 came out on: Nes, GBA 'classic', Zelda OOT bonus disc, Zelda OOT GC Bundle disc, VC edition....

If the VC was an archive, they would allow all previous purchasers a free copy of the games they've bought previously.

Super Mario World came out on: Snes, Snes re-issue, Snes Mario Allstars, GBA SMW and now VC SMW.

It didn't come out in Mario Allstars.

It isn't just Nintendo anyway. How many times has Sega re-released Sonic? Or Square and Final Fantasy?

What's the problem anyway? If you don't want to buy them because you already have them, then don't. Would you prefer to deny others the choice?

Wrong wrong wrong.

The Wii VC is in no sense a database. It doesn't preserve accurately (it's emulation is less accurate than freeware emulators - see Mario Kart 64 as an example). The games aren't preserved, they're offered as purchases. It's a money making excercise, pure and simple. That's fine, they're good games, Nintendo deserve to mine their history. Only they seem to be bringing out the same old titles and guess what, the same old Nintendo fans lap them up.

Zelda: Ocarina came out on: N64, N64 Ltd Edition Gold cart, Gamecube Zelda WW bundle, Gamecube Zelda WW bonus disc, VC edition.

Zelda 1 came out on: Nes, GBA 'classic', Zelda OOT bonus disc, Zelda OOT GC Bundle disc, VC edition....

If the VC was an archive, they would allow all previous purchasers a free copy of the games they've bought previously.

Not everyone has bought them in the past though, and now can very easily. Of one of the games you mentioned :

Super Mario World I had on the Snes and gba. I've also bought the VC version for the chance to play it on the big screen again, and its aces.

But stuff like Actraiser, Lylat Wars, Castlevania 4 etc I can play again for the first time (my SNES and N64 are dead)

By your argument of letting us have games for free that we already own, the film companies should be swapping all my old VHS tapes for DVDs (or HD-DVDs).

I'd be a lot happier if

1/ obviously they were technically better which i wont bang on about and

2/ they weren't the same old games we've been sold as snes titles, GBA remakes, GBA 'classics' etc. It's usual Nintendo mercenary milking, but people see the fuzzy cuddly Nintendo brand and forget that. The same Mario world they charged 29.99 for on the GBA? Get out of town. Whats next...VC versions of the GBA games that were converted from snes originals?

yes because $onys cynical reselling of age old psone games that you can get down the local barnardos for 50p, at prices around £7 each and then only making them playable on a £120+ console is so much better than £3 nes games and £5-7 n64 titles.

They are proud of their heritage and want to re-release it in the latest formats available. Kind of like how several movies keep getting "definitive edition" versions. But I am sure you have no problem buying them, or do you just download them from piratebay?

(sorry bout my typing, was in a bad car accident and my hands are still a bit numb)

What's most interesting for me is being able to play those games I didn't own back in the day. Some I'd like to replay - like Lylat/Starfox. The thing I like best is the presentation aspect of the whole thing. Sure, I could get a PSP with all the emulators or an Xbox loaded with every rom there is and just select them from a text list by filename (and don't get me wrong, I've found a few absolute stonkers doing this - some Dungeons and Dragons Capcom quiz game springs to mind) - but actually paying for one and having a graphic for it and having it right there on the lovely little Wii transforms those little pieces of code into something you might actually put some time into and feel like you actually own. There's some sort of emotional trigger which reminds me of coming home with a new game (having of course read the instruction manual in the car on the way back) that's missing when you suddenly have the entire back catalogue of any given system at your fingertips. It's possibly some sort of collector gene that gets tickled. Being drip fed the old games and assigning them a monetary value (however arbitrary) is somehow different from the greedy mouthful of emulation that I'm sure many of us have experienced. I imagine the feeling that one person has when they manage to track down a PAL copy of Megaman 4 is more fulfilling than double clicking it from a list of hundreds.

I'm not trying to gallop along on my high horse, there's plenty of reasons why people pirate stuff, hell I've done it a bucketload in the past. I've played plenty of games I wasn't otherwise able to whether through lack of finances or the impossibility of finding the particular game - arcade titles in particular. However, it's great that there's now a service which allows you to strip back the incredibly detailed and impressively weighted curtains of the next generation and immerse yourself in the purity of 8 and 16bit gaming and feel good about it. It's been a while coming, but I think it's to be applauded that Nintendo are preserving the digital entertainment of previous generations rather than frowning from on high at everyone else but not offering any sort of alternative.

So yeah, I, along with everyone else, understand why people do download games/mp3s etc, for free, but I also understand why people, when given the opportunity, will purchase the same product through the official channels. What's been frustrating earlier in the thread is the idea that someone couldn't understand why someone would pay for something that you didn't have to.

THIS

somethings wrong here, I actually agree with and value Sir Stiff One's opinion and think he is an ok guy.

I like Sir Stiff One!

Ebony and Ivory living together in perfect harmony!

Or perhaps my brains been scrambled after that car accident.

Basically I'm trying to think ahead. It's all well and good calling it "iTunes for games" but when your games are locked to a particular piece of hardware and the service may not be platform-agnostic, it raises some serious questions.

This is the only thing holding me back from spending a fortune on the VC. I'd love to build a collection of classics, but not if they are going to evaporate in a few years' time.

This is the only thing holding me back from spending a fortune on the VC. I'd love to build a collection of classics, but not if they are going to evaporate in a few years' time.

he is talking bullshit, get downloading and enjoy some classics on your modern hardware, get a 2gb sd card and you have em for life.

It didn't come out in Mario Allstars.

It isn't just Nintendo anyway. How many times has Sega re-released Sonic? Or Square and Final Fantasy?

What's the problem anyway? If you don't want to buy them because you already have them, then don't. Would you prefer to deny others the choice?

It came on the mario allstars bundle cart and was released later i believe. Also, you're entirely missing the point. The VC is the chance to offer different titles, not just the same old ones. I don' think you've read my post at all, you've just knee-jerk reacted to something it's not saying.

For fans of short sentences: we want different games, not just the marios and sonics we all have, or at least have access to on loads of other compilations. Do you see?

he is talking bullshit, get downloading and enjoy some classics on your modern hardware, get a 2gb sd card and you have em for life.

He's not though. Hopefully it won't be an issue but the design of the system suggests to me that Nintendo haven't really thought about it.

Not everyone has bought them in the past though, and now can very easily. Of one of the games you mentioned :

Super Mario World I had on the Snes and gba. I've also bought the VC version for the chance to play it on the big screen again, and its aces.

But stuff like Actraiser, Lylat Wars, Castlevania 4 etc I can play again for the first time (my SNES and N64 are dead)

By your argument of letting us have games for free that we already own, the film companies should be swapping all my old VHS tapes for DVDs (or HD-DVDs).

DVDs usually have some bonus stuff though, and way way better picture quality than VHS as default. The only better picture on the VC is for people who haven't had RGB leads before.

the zelda discs were limited editions either they came with tww or were bought from the stars catalogue. Do you think everyone is as hardcore as you?

The zelda discs came with wind waker...which most zelda fans bought. Thats not being hardcore, thats just buying wind waker.

Who is 'we'?

I'm loving the VC. Nintendo are planning to supply original games on there too. I don't really see anything to complain about. Personally I'd rather they just put all their games on at once but I suspect the slow trickle works better for them saleswise.

Wouldn't you prefer a fast forwarding through the Marios and Zeldas into the more interesting stuff john? That's my main complaint really.

And hope your ok sweetdaddyg (car accident).

For fans of short sentences: we want different games, not just the marios and sonics we all have, or at least have access to on loads of other compilations. Do you see?

I can think of several games off the top of my head that have never been released as part of a compilation yet are on the VC. I dont get what you are trying to say.

Once again what we're really talking about is lifestyle. Angel is committed enough to have access to various means of emulation, Xbox, PC, whatever, and no doubt has various controllers, along with lots and lots of original consoles. I think it would be fair to say (I don't know, but let's assume it is) that his home entertainment setup revolves around gaming.

In contrast, I now have one console under my television - the Wii. It is tiny. It has no wires. I can turn it on with a remote. When I turn it on, I can play Lylat Wars on it. I like this.

It really is that simple for me. My gaming time is limited, my house space is limited, and I don't like having loads of gaming stuff clutttering up my living room anyway. The xbox is in an easily accessible cupboard, so if I get a pressing urge to play the arcade version of R-type I can do so. But why would I, when I can simply play the PC Engine version with the wiimote? Because the arcade version is more "accurate"? I simply don't care, and the Xbox pad is awful anyway.

That's why the VC is a great success in my eyes, and why I suspect it is for many others. It just slots into my life so neatly, whereas I have to make space for more hardcore methods of emulation. Life's too short.

Wouldn't you prefer a fast forwarding through the Marios and Zeldas into the more interesting stuff john? That's my main complaint really.

And hope your ok sweetdaddyg (car accident).

I'd personally prefer they put every single game on there now. But I can see why they aren't doing that.

What do you mean by more interesting stuff? Original games?

Yeah, I'd like to see that. I'd like to take part in that too.

So far, it looks like Sony are doing the best job in that department. They actually seem to be funding original games and selling them for cheap. Shame they insist on owning IP - thus depriving these creative developers of their only real asset.

I can only deal with looking at the LATEST ADDITIONS because the flipping thing is so slow, it'd take friggin' years to search through all games.

But, I mean, I nearly bought Lylat Wars the other day just because it was a NEW RELEASE of sorts, I didn't because thankfully the Wii didn't remember my credit card details. If Lylat Wars had been there from the start I wouldn't have even considered buying it.

The same with genuine launch titles, I didn't get Raving Rabbits and I'm not going to now, but if it was out this Friday I possibly would. There's something about getting something when it first comes out - even if it's first coming out 10 years after it first came out. Lylat Wars, ten years? Where the hell did that go?

I can only deal with looking at the LATEST ADDITIONS because the flipping thing is so slow, it'd take friggin' years to search through all games

Agreed. The shop is bewilderingly slow. And why those tiny screenshots? Why not have videos etc?

I'm not that well up on web tech but why does the machine need to spend endless periods 'connecting' all the time. Why doesn't it have instant access to the net? My PC does and it goes through the same connection. The Wii is a totally solid-state device (for this purpose anyway) and yet there are 10 and 20 second delays all over the place - sometimes much longer. Why isn't everything instant?

And it takes ages to get back to the Wii Menu, it's quicker to whip the power off and plug it back in.

And while I'm here, that synching the Wiimotes has had me baffled in the past and yesterday I had to help my little cousin. There must be a lot of people out there totally stymied. I'm still not sure how to turn off a second Wiimote.

Agreed. The shop is bewilderingly slow. And why those tiny screenshots? Why not have videos etc?

I'm not that well up on web tech but why does the machine need to spend endless periods 'connecting' all the time. Why doesn't it have instant access to the net? My PC does and it goes through the same connection. The Wii is a totally solid-state device (for this purpose anyway) and yet there are 10 and 20 second delays all over the place - sometimes much longer. Why isn't everything instant?

Aye. We pretty much learnt from Nintendo to completely avoid the dreaded blank screen when we first started doing NES games, and over the last couple of generations it's been the Nintendo console which had the fewest pauses, loading screens, and blank screens, presumably because they work hard to engineer these out at the hardware design stage.

Now, surprisingly, the Wii has the worst and longest selection of completely blank screens with nothing happening and no feedback of any console I've ever had.