IGNORED

Best pizza ever...

pretentious_helvetica

We got to try most of the menu last night as it was pretty much just a buffet with every pizza on the menu.

The highlights were one called the 'Fat Tony' that had enormous meatballs on the top as well as a proper marinara/bolognese type sauce (topped off with grated parmesan). Second best was one called 'Gambit' that was a Cajun spiced sauce with chicken, bacon and onion rings (actual homemade onion rings rather than frozen ones) and lastly there was one called 'He-Man' which was topped with BBQ sauce (in addition to the standard tomato), pulled pork and fried onions.

I think they've got something like 18 pizzas on the menu and we probably got round to trying a small piece of half of them, there wasn't one that I thought wasn't good. We only tried the thin and crispy base (which was more like what I'd consider a proper Italian style pizza base) but they apparently do deep pan and folded as well.

I imagine once I've got the wedding and house move out of the way we shall be returning for a proper meal, that said I am going to Atomic Burger for a pre-wedding meal

This is how every buffet should be. It sounds amazing

What was the Godzilla like?

I wasn't brave enough to try it. There were a lot of people there who were top of the Godzilla leaderboard/completed the sticker book etc. and they all said it was hotter than the burger because it was pretty much just a pizza topped with hot sauce

I wasn't brave enough to try it. There were a lot of people there who were top of the Godzilla leaderboard/completed the sticker book etc. and they all said it was hotter than the burger because it was pretty much just a pizza topped with hot sauce

Thanks, that's pretty much how I thought it would be.

Sounds like a cool event to go to though, probably not many chances to choose a slice of each one like that. I'd love to just try everything I fancied from the menu in one day.

You had to work for it because it was pretty much the staff just bringing a few pizzas out of the kitchen and offering them round. The owner seems like a really nice guy though, we only went along because I tweeted him asking if there were any tickets left for the event

I totally get to brag here. My girlfriend is moving house next month to a place next door to her brother. Their parents own the 2 houses and have the 2 gardens at the rear open to form one large one. On her side of the garden are 2 semi-busted brick BBQs which she wants making into an oven for pizza/everything else.

Aww shit. 8)

Can't ever leave this girl.

You had to work for it because it was pretty much the staff just bringing a few pizzas out of the kitchen and offering them round. The owner seems like a really nice guy though, we only went along because I tweeted him asking if there were any tickets left for the event

He let us sit in early when we arrived at Atomic Burger at 4:30 not realising it doesn't open until 5, nice guy. He gave me some sugar to suck on when I was eating the Godzilla too, said it was the only thing that would help.

Don't ever leave this girl.

I can't wait to get a proper place and build an oven.

EDIT: Also, don't make the sketchy one that we found on the website that had loads of different ones.

I'll go one better than the oven, she also WANTS a massive home cinema setup... :omg:

We were going to build a nice brick one at the place she's in now but she decided she was moving to this much bigger place with a garden that's perfect for it. I'll make sure to shoot you an invite when we have nice weather again, bring some dough. ;)

I'll go digging for plans but I recall finding some which were full on hardcore oven stylee with a poured concrete oven floor. I will be DIY man on this as it needs to be perfect.

• 3 weeks later...

It's certainly edible but about that vintage it kinda starts to fall to bits when you stretch it out. I've found about 5/6 days to be the best length of time in the fridge. Oh and prepare to be shocked at how boozy it smells... Pisshead pizza? Aww yeah. 8)

It's certainly edible but about that vintage it kinda starts to fall to bits when you stretch it out. I've found about 5/6 days to be the best length of time in the fridge. Oh and prepare to be shocked at how boozy it smells... Pisshead pizza? Aww yeah. 8)

Cheers dude, sounds like I better have a backup dinner planned just in case :ph34r:

The pizzas will be stupidly thin, like mm thin and crisp as fuck but have fun getting them onto the pizza stone. I removed the pizza stone from the oven, pre-stretched the dough before hand and basically folded it on top then added toppings quickly as it cooks immediately.

Enjoy.

Oh ffs, Atomic Pizza?! Now I have to book us another cheapy night in Bicester Travelodge just to go and eat fuck loads of food.

Totally doing these for starters:

Scooby Snack Tater Tots

Tater Tots wrapped in crispy bacon with a jalapeño for a little kick. All your Tots are then covered in melted cheese.

Followed by this:

Fat Tony pizza

Huge pork & beef meatballs, Parmesan, marinara sauce, mozzarella and a tomato base

And then inevitably going to Atomic Burger the following morning for an epic brunch:

Judd Nelson Breakfast Burger

Sausage burger patty, bacon, fried egg American cheese, homefries and two buttermilk pancakes as the bun

:facepalm:

I totally get to brag here. My girlfriend is moving house next month to a place next door to her brother. Their parents own the 2 houses and have the 2 gardens at the rear open to form one large one. On her side of the garden are 2 semi-busted brick BBQs which she wants making into an oven for pizza/everything else.

Aww shit. 8)

Can't ever leave this girl.

She sounds weird. What kind of may to live your life is joint brother and sister houses paid for by parents with a shared garden?

She's going to fucking kick you into this oven like Hansel and Gretel.

Who said they were being paid for by the parents?

I went to college with her brother and we've been friends for over 10 years, kicking down the fence to make one huge garden for the 2 houses is a no brainer particularly when it's being completely reworked to make it all pretty with decking and the ovens and flowers and shit.

It's like what old people talk about when the reminisce about 'the good old days' when you talked to your neighbours and went over for tea.

The pizzas will be stupidly thin, like mm thin and crisp as fuck but have fun getting them onto the pizza stone. I removed the pizza stone from the oven, pre-stretched the dough before hand and basically folded it on top then added toppings quickly as it cooks immediately.

Enjoy.

It came out really well, you're right! It's nice to know that you can make the dough at the weekend, have it that night, and then look forward to it all over again a week or so later :ph34r:

• 2 months later...

I got a pizza stone and rolling pin for Christmas, both of which have helped my pizzas become even better (before I was using a terracotta baking dish turned upside down).

Made a lovely pizza last night consisting of:

Thinly sliced courgette

Feta

Mozerella

Olive

Mushroom

Chorizo

Girlfriend bought some 'pizza dough in a can' the other day and we tried it last night. It's very strange the way it unrolls into rectangles perfectly and is perforated for easy ripping. I have no idea how they do that... :unsure:

Anyway it tastes pretty good, comparable to most of the stuff you'd get in a supermarket anyway. It's basically just the 'add water' dry mixture just pre-mixed for the lazy. I may keep a few of these handy for the odd party we have where there's loads of people.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Pizza lovers! Just got me a pizza stone. I have one question - we like to make thin pizzas. How can we transfer the uncooked pizza from the counter to the stone in the oven? We have like fish slices and stuff, but it seems fraught with danger.

Ideally you should get yourself a 'pizza peel', that's what the pros use and they're cheap enough on amazon.

I've never got around to buying one, so I usually just get the stone out of the oven, transfer the base to the stone, sauce and top the pizza while on the stone (this actually helps to get the base cooking ahead of getting it in the ove), and then return the stone to the oven.

You're supposed to do it with a peel, which is like a giant spatula. I've always just brought the hot stone out of the oven, placed it on a suitable surface, and built the pizza on the stone. You don't need to work too quickly, as stones will keep their heat for ages, but the hotter everything is, the better.

I tend to get the dough shaped, turf it onto the stone using my hands and quickly throw on the ingredients as it starts to cook right there on the cooker top. Pop that into the oven and it'll be done in about 5 minutes.

*edit: exactly the same as doublethemeat and revlob. 8)