rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
roberthazelby

The Emulator Thread

That's great of course, but it also makes me think why there isn't a decent OG Xbox emulator yet :(

I love having Wrath of Heaven and Fatal Shadows on PCSX2 but I would love to be able to play Tenchu: Return from Darkness  (far far FAR superior to the PS2 game) on PC in HD.

Edit: Googled it - turns out the main reason is that nobody cares. Shame.

I've just started FFXII:IZJS on PCSX2. I'd forgotten how glorious it looks. Shame about the frame rate, mind. It's running full speed so there's not much I can do about that. 

On 10/3/2016 at 16:08, dataDave said:

Gerbik nailed it.

RetroArch and bsnes:

Qnpgtmbf.png

(Zoom with your phone or drag image to a new tab and zoom)

Have you had any problems adding your SNES rom sets to Retroarch - I have scanned mine in and while they all scan in (GoodSNES 2.04) only certain ones seem playable and Super Metroid isn't one of them...

2 hours ago, parrapatheslapper said:

Have you had any problems adding your SNES rom sets to Retroarch - I have scanned mine in and while they all scan in (GoodSNES 2.04) only certain ones seem playable and Super Metroid isn't one of them...

GoodSNES is old these days and has a lot of bad data in it. Retroarch supports the much more accurate No-Intro sets, which are conveniently available for download on Archive.org. Retroarch will recognise those without hassle.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Blu3Flame said:

GoodSNES is old these days and has a lot of bad data in it. Retroarch supports the much more accurate No-Intro sets, which are conveniently available for download on Archive.org. Retroarch will recognise those without hassle.

Fantastic thanks mate will give this a go.

Yeah I set RA and bsnes accuracy up yesterday and only a handful of ROMs seem to boot. I really only want to play Crono Trigger but the sound distorts once every 32 bars or so. Any idea?

It could be that your CPU isn't up to the job, which I know sounds crazy but bsnes is demanding. Try the performance / balanced versions instead.

Also, and I can't stress this enough, use the No-Intro rom sets. 

For bsnes accuracy you need at least a 3Ghz CPU. Like Blu3Flame says, dat accuracy comes at a cost. Read up on it here if you;re interested in the why :)

Try one of the other cores as Blu3Flame suggested, RetroArch has you covered

3 hours ago, Blu3Flame said:

This worked perfectly - cheers mate.

Now to find a decent MAME and NeoGeo set!

Retroarch does not emulate sound correctly with my 3.2ghz CPU, constant crackles now no matter how much I tweak the audio latency. Think I'll stick to emulation on my retropi.

51 minutes ago, Avuncular said:

What's wrong with ZSnes or Snes9x? I've been using them on an old POS laptop with no problems for years.

The simplified version is they're not very accurate, so they use per game hacks to smooth over some of the problems.

It's explained here: http://www.tested.com/tech/gaming/2712-why-perfect-hardware-snes-emulation-requires-a-3ghz-cpu/

What do you guys use to get rid of the dross from MAME.  I downloaded a full rom set and updated it, but now its all done, I want to strip out the slots, quiz, and naked girl crap as my son also likes to play.  I googled and found a couple of ROM managers, but found them a bit useless.  Is there anything decent out there or is it a case of just combing through the ROM folder?

You want romlister, that wil copy out the good roms or delete the crap ones for you, mostly based on catagories like mahjong and will also do it based on controllers, buttons, masters etc. You can get the 50 odd gig of roms down to around 12 gig depending on your prefences.

Like most apps you will need to have a read up on how to use it first.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ZedEx48K said:

You want romlister, that wil copy out the good roms or delete the crap ones for you, mostly based on catagories like mahjong and will also do it based on controllers, buttons, masters etc. You can get the 50 odd gig of roms down to around 12 gig depending on your prefences.

Like most apps you will need to have a read up on how to use it first.

Thanks, will give it a try.