PlayStation Home

joeplus

Guest Radio Flyer

I don't think they should be doing this. I honestly think it's pretty sad. You could get away with it if it wasn't so po-faced.

I've warmed a bit to this having watched Phils presentation again, it still looks like it's made with Poser models though. Would have been better if it had the fun charm of Little Big Planets characters and world, but then maybe there would be some huge Nintendo backlash more so than the mii one at the moment.

My problem is it does seem all it bit perfect when it's rolled out in this presentation fashion but it's only when you start to think about all the variables and problems that might break the virtual world down when you get to use it. It's effectively just another game or layer of lobby sitting on top of your disk/downloaded games. An optional one at that, so some of your friends might be in the standard menus some might be in virtual armchairs. How will they be able to interact seamlessly ? How will you be able to play music in your room and stream it across to numerous other PS3 avatars in your room without copyright problems with record companies? How will the hi-def movie content be shuttled across the network to the many avatars in the room with you as a host?

With the LIVE friends list you are in a small pond that you can weed the nasty fish out. What's it going to be like when you are all in one big communal room, are there going to avatar police to stop the unruly. Age ranges with lockable rooms for younger players? What stops anyone playing something unsavoury on their Sony Bravia in their private room when anything can be uploaded from their PS3 hardrive or photo album. As a presentation it's a marketeers dream, a new virtual landscape to populate with branding and buyable content, in reality I fear its a virtual world that will soon turn to a virtual anarchy once the half hour charm of emoting and decorating your room has worn thin. This kindof eneterprise will take a huge comittment from Sony not only to relaise but also maintain if it is to be both stable and compelling and will need a vast amount of created content to fill.

I tried real hard to read through this thread, but there is just so much hate and negativity towards Sony on this forum.

For something that is FREE to download and use you would think people would be pretty happy about the HOME announcement.

But the rllmuk community has tried real hard to misunderstand and just plain ignore what has been announced.

One thing is for sure, you don't have to download HOME if you don't want to, it is a FREE piece of software that you can choose to take it or leave it.

You can stick with the bundled avatar options and private space options, you do not have to pay for any of the additional content if you don't want too.

Some dumbass poster didn't even see to realise that you can use voicechat using any exisiting USB or Blu-Tooth headset. Only an idiot would think that Sony would do something as boneheaded as to create an online meeting place and then deny you the ability to communicate.

You can stream the contents of your harddrive to other users present in your private space. The data will be compresed, so it is not like they are getting perfect copies of your stored movies. This is similar to the LocationFree TV concept and data streaming PS3 content to your PSP across wider area networks.

Again this is all free to do and hardly a BAD THING. Just like EyeToy enabled video chat, HOME provides an online place to meet-up with people for social purposes, for FREE. You can play multiplayer online games together within the HOME environment or jump to a game which you have in your PS3.

The last point I'd like to make is that HOME is not limited to Sony. Third party publisher will have there own areas, and there is no reason why other business won't have spaces like GAP or Top Shop. This might not sound very exciting, but it is for FREE and not doing anyone any harm. I know my wife will happily visit an virtual shopping mall just as quickly as she would one in the real world.

This is going to be an interesting experiment, it is a shame most rllmuk users will not be there to participate as they seem adamant against this idea.

Guest Radio Flyer
I tried real hard to read through this thread, but there is just so much hate and negativity towards Sony on this forum.

For something that is FREE to download and use you would think people would be pretty happy about the HOME announcement.

But the rllmuk community has tried real hard to misunderstand and just plain ignore what has been announced.

One thing is for sure, you don't have to download HOME if you don't want to, it is a FREE piece of software that you can choose to take it or leave it.

You can stick with the bundled avatar options and private space options, you do not have to pay for any of the additional content if you don't want too.

Some dumbass poster didn't even see to realise that you can use voicechat using any exisiting USB or Blu-Tooth headset. Only an idiot would think that Sony would do something as boneheaded as to create an online meeting place and then deny you the ability to communicate.

You can stream the contents of your harddrive to other users present in your private space. The data will be compresed, so it is not like they are getting perfect copies of your stored movies. This is similar to the LocationFree TV concept and data streaming PS3 content to your PSP across wider area networks.

Again this is all free to do and hardly a BAD THING. Just like EyeToy enabled video chat, HOME provides an online place to meet-up with people for social purposes, for FREE. You can play multiplayer online games together within the HOME environment or jump to a game which you have in your PS3.

The last point I'd like to make is that HOME is not limited to Sony. Third party publisher will have there own areas, and there is no reason why other business won't have spaces like GAP or Top Shop. This might not sound very exciting, but it is for FREE and not doing anyone any harm. I know my wife will happily visit an virtual shopping mall just as quickly as she would one in the real world.

This is going to be an interesting experiment, it is a shame most rllmuk users will not be there to participate as they seem adamant against this idea.

Oh it's free, well why didn't you say so!

In that case I love the look of it!

I've warmed a bit to this having watched Phils presentation again, it still looks like it's made with Poser models though. Would have been better if it had the fun charm of Little Big Planets characters and world, but then maybe there would be some huge Nintendo backlash more so than the mii one at the moment.

That's EXACTLY what they should have done. LBP would have been amazing as Home.

It's not free because they love you. It's a trojan horse attempt to grab a piece of the free basic service + massive add-on revenue pie. And Mii's did it much better than these Hollyoaks reject avatars.

I must remember that I can't have an opinion if something is free.

That's EXACTLY what they should have done. LBP would have been amazing as Home.

That would have been phenomenal, with suitably abstract homes that you could customise the same way you do in that game. Although no doubt we would have all hated it for ripping off Animal Crossing.

That was probably me. I was simply pointing out that either:

* Sony have solved generic speech recognition in multiple languages (unlikely)

* Their promo photos involve someone using a keyboard

Ooh. That might be me again.

The data will be compressed - all video and music is compressed on your hard disk.

So unless Sony have suddenly reinvented video compression, you've still got the limitations of your upload. And as soon as you've got more than one person in your space, those limitations are going to become a much more limiting factor.

Or you'll be limited to what's on the PS store (which seems likely, from other things I've read).

I personally am not saying that this is a bad thing. I'm saying it's a massively over-hyped thing, and the merest knowledge of how networks work (see previous posts on multicasting video) tell you that some aspects are over-hyped.

A halo-2 style party couch system is something microsoft should have implemented across Live at the launch of the 360. Adding it to the PS3, and making it multi-game, is in no way a bad thing.

Adding party chat outside of a game (if we're determined to distinguish Home from one), isn't a bad thing.

Hmm. I'll be there at some point, but nothing is for free. Those "adverts can be put on every surface" comments weren't just for show, you know.

It's not free because they love you. It's a trojan horse attempt to grab a piece of the free basic service + massive add-on revenue pie.

None of the companies are doing anything because they love us... Still not going to pass up on the opportunity to download some free GTHD/Texas Hold 'Em/Wii News...

It's not free because they love you. It's a trojan horse attempt to grab a piece of the free basic service + massive add-on revenue pie. And Mii's did it much better than these Hollyoaks reject avatars.

Sony uncovered in secret return on investment plan shocker!

It's a very neat idea, though I'm unsure as to their motivation behind it, and the lack of style reflects that.

The thinking behind it is not to scare off mainstream types. It looks meh to us but that guy who hosts Grand Designs is probably drowning in his own spooge right now.

It's making me appreciate PSO/PSU's character design a lot more.

Sony uncovered in secret return on investment plan shocker!

This.

I absolutely think Home is misguided and it's not something I have the slightest interest in. I also hate the art style. But to criticise it for finding a new revenue stream is utterly mental. Fair play - advertising in this hideous, sterile, pointless virtual lobby is far more acceptable than advertising in game.

Imagine how worked up about it you could get if it was compulsory. :ph34r:

Oh god. We've crossed swords over this before and it's irrelevant. I know you can choose not to use it. That's what makes the 'groundbreaking' quotes even more ridiculous. Having said that, I'm serious about the criticism over advertising. If there's a place for it, this generalised focus-group lifestyle committee hell is exactly where it should sit, not in game.

I know my wife will happily visit an virtual shopping mall just as quickly as she would one in the real world.

I expect you know your own wife better than I do but I guarantee you 100% this is not the case. She may like the idea but it won't last long when you are actually using it. Virtual arcades, virtual this, virtual that, they are all horrible as soon as you try and recreate real life. I'd like to be proven wrong but there is a very good reason why games like Animal Crossing and WoW do far better than Second life and the like.

I've admitted to MID that I think it would be nicer if the whole thing was made by Nintendo, because I love cute things, and he replied that Nintendo would never ever make something like this. Which is fine, but that's no reason to hate the people that are actually going to give it a try. I'd rather have it a bit sterile than not have it at all.
Oh, for fuck's sake. I forgot people in Discussion were this ridiculous.

Strafe was saying that if Nintendo were making it that more people would like it. You replied saying that people don't just like Nintendo stuff. I replied regarding the topic of whether it being Nintendo would be better or not.

Can you seriously not see how the thread of conversation goes through that? For someone who's been on forums for so long, you're acting awfully dense.

What you said was the above.

Don't give me this dense shit or I'm so much cleverer than thou act, Ed.

Kindly point out where I said that I hate people that want to give it a try? Oh, that's right, i didn't.

My single point was not that people don't like just Nintendo stuff.

My point was that people also dislike Nintendo stuff, thus taking a contrary point to Strafe's assertion that if it was made by Nintendo everyone would automatically love it.

No, either I am being really fucking dense, but after staring at your reply to me for a good few minutes now, I still can't see what you are on about in relation to my comment to Strafe.

I can see what you're on about, yes. It would probably be much cuter and stuff if made by Nintendo. No arguments there. But that's got nothing to do with my original point.

I hope that's clear.