The Bookies

dogsout

• 2 weeks later...
Well I got blown out on that attempt by Atletico Mineiro not being able to score against some 8th division no-hopers. But I started again with a tenner and hit 60 quid last night. So going to take my stake back and split the 50 into 2 and go on two games at once. Good fun though. I can see how people make so much from it.

How you doing with this? I moved £2 to be £10 last week, then lost it on the Liverpool/Hull natch... why I bet on that one I don't know, I knew there'd be no goals...

So I started again at £10 and have moved it up to £25 betting on all sorts of games this week... had to lay off on one game where I was lucky enough to be around and minimise a bit of loss, but otherwise been moving steadily upwards! :D

Pretty good, bank is £220 now. Not had a losing game since the last update, although Internacional vs Estudiantes ran me close last night! £75 of that bank is a win from there being a hung parliament, but the rest is all from 1 goal + bets. I'm not betting the whole lot now, I do two lots of £100 to spread the risk. If I hit £250 I'll bank £100 and maybe go to £50 a pop bets. Problem is its the summer now so much less games, unless you feel like gambling on Norwegian football or something. Last night I won on the cricket not being a draw, and goals in the Genk, Estudiantes and Real Salt Lake games.

Its a lot of fun though, in that you can just sit there in the evening watching the TV and piss about on the laptop, and I'm not too fussed if I lose it, as it was only a tenner to start with. Plus its funding all my accumulators, as I just clean up to the nearest 10 at the weekend and put the rest on an accy. On which note I would just like to add screw you Lyon for last weekend. I would have got about 80 from 2 quid if they could have held on for 10 more minutes.

Managed to hit 3 0-0s over the weekend. The Millwall game, one other on Saturday, and then the Palmerias vs Vasco game last night. Managed to offset it a bit with a decent win on the cricket, but still took a hammering. Good job I banked 100 quid, so still well up. Will probably start again with £20 now.

And Brazilian football is crap, I mean, really, really poor. 10 man Palmerias easily held off Vasco last night, in fact I don't think Vasco had a shot on target. All it was was one team or the other passing it up to the edge of the oppositions area repeatedly before someone took a shot that was nearer the corner flag than the goal. I think there were about 2 shots on target the whole match.

Hah, and boned by 0-0 in the Millwall Huddersfield game. Thankfully was only a third or so of the bank so still well up.

Me too.. ;)

Managed to hit 3 0-0s over the weekend. The Millwall game, one other on Saturday, and then the Palmerias vs Vasco game last night. Managed to offset it a bit with a decent win on the cricket, but still took a hammering. Good job I banked 100 quid, so still well up. Will probably start again with £20 now.

And Brazilian football is crap, I mean, really, really poor. 10 man Palmerias easily held off Vasco last night, in fact I don't think Vasco had a shot on target. All it was was one team or the other passing it up to the edge of the oppositions area repeatedly before someone took a shot that was nearer the corner flag than the goal. I think there were about 2 shots on target the whole match.

Ha me too! ;)

unfortunately I'm back down to my original £2... :P

I had the following on the CL final for a bit of interest:

Milito to score and Inter to win - £15 on at 16/5 returned £63

Cambiasso man of the match - £5 on at 22/1

Sneijder man of the match - £10 on at 5/1 returned £60

Not a bad night.

Is Milito likely to start for the Argies in the WC?

He's 40/1 at Skybet for top scorer.

I'm not sure but I don't think so. Aguero is a cert due to his connection to the manager. I don't know whether he'll play two upfront but even if he does, I'm sure he'll get his selection wrong. He just picks really random teams.

I had a big multiple that had England, England U17s and various other Norweigan teams playing in it. Cost me £2, would have made £25 apart from the fact that Portugal couldn't even score against... hang on... who was it again? Camp De Verde or some sh*t.... still made my stake back so that's all that matters in the end...! :P

Am still doing the score more than 1 goal thing too, but it just seems to fluctuate up and down without ever accumulating. I need a good run.

has anyone else tried playing the Exchange games on Betfair? I've been playing the Texas Hold 'Em game where you can both Back and Lay off against one or more of the four hands. Quite interesting because you can lay off and minimise losses / guarantee profit. But still seems no more than a fifty-fifty chance.

Is anybody getting on any of the friendlies this week? I don't really fancy anything tonight but I might have a go at Holland v Mexico tomorrow. I'm liking the look of Holland -1 and Holland to win both halves. I think I'll wait to see the line-ups before placing anything, though.

With the World Cup around the corner I suspect there may be some interest from people on here that wouldn't normally bet. Much like Benito at the last World Cup. If anybody is thinking of joining betfair please feel free to use the referral code in my sig. If you place £25 worth of bets in the first 31 days that your account is active, we'd both be rewarded with £25 credited to our accounts. If any of you use it just post in here or PM me so I can thank you. :unsure:

Still doing the one goal thing, not lost since the last update, up to £180ish again now, with £100 banked. Couple of small cricket wins in there as well. Mixing the 1+ goals with under 4.5 goals now, which tends to pay around 1.2, so getting a tenner back from 50 quid. Was on it in the Germany vs Bosnia game last night, so it was very nervy for the last ten minutes. But the fact that most of the games about now are Brazilian ones means that 1.04 odds for 1+ goals isn't very appealing, as most of the Brazilian teams are very defensive.

For the World Cup, I'm thinking of a tenner on Serbia and Uruguay, with a view to trading them off if they progress, as I fancy both of them to get to the quarter finals. Also looking at Luis Fabiano for top scorer at 11s.

I am going to stick a few quid on Serbia as they're decent and could have a fairly nice draw if things go as I think they will.

Not so sure about Uruguay. I saw them play twice in the qualifiers (including an away defeat against a piss poor Peru) and I think they'll struggle, sadly. A shame as I was in Uruguay when they qualified and the whole country went bananas they were so happy!

I am going to stick a few quid on Serbia as they're decent and could have a fairly nice draw if things go as I think they will.

Not so sure about Uruguay. I saw them play twice in the qualifiers (including an away defeat against a piss poor Peru) and I think they'll struggle, sadly. A shame as I was in Uruguay when they qualified and the whole country went bananas they were so happy!

I think Uruguay have a good chance to get out of their group, and if they do the odds on them should come down quite nicely, at which point I can lay them off hopefully to win either way. That's the plan with Serbia as well, although I am a bit more unsure about that having seen them against Poland in midweek.

Also thinking of 10 quid on France to go out at the group stage, Denmark to win their group, and I am looking about for specials, as I want to put 10 quid on no African team making it out of the group stages.

What does 'lay them off' mean?

You take a bet, wait until it's starting to move in your favour, then take the opposite bet to close out your position. Means your potential win is reduced but your profit is locked in.

What does 'lay them off' mean?

Bet against the outcome, become the bookie in effect. So I put 10 quid on Serbia to win the World Cup at 66-1, so potential payout is 660 against a risk of 10 pounds. Then, if they get to the quarter finals, say their odds are now 20-1, so I lay that for 30 quid, I effectively take a bet from someone at 20-1 that they will win it. So I have a risk of 600 quid against a bet of 30. So if they now lose, I get 30 quid back from the lay, and lose 10 from the initial bet. If they win it, I get 60 quid (600 payout on the lay, 660 win on the initial bet). You can do it via certain online bookies, most notably Betfair.

Who do people fancy for top goalscorer then? Luis Fabiano at 11s looks decentish value, I quite like Peter Crouch for England, but I'm a bit worried about whether or not he'll get enough time on the pitch. I was going to go on Humberto Suazo for Chile, but he's out injured now. Van Persie is tempting if he is playing as a lone striker, and I'm looking for some random 600-1 shot as well.

Definitely Van Persie for me, odds and likelihood of him getting chances are all in favour.

Last bet I put on.. £60 for New Zealand (40/1) to do the best out of the Asia/Oceana teams - if none get past the group stages then it's a dead heat so I'll get just under a fifth of the odds.. apparently.

I'm considering someone from the New Zealand group but whilst I think NZL will lose all the games, I'm not sure those teams will dick them...and give someone a head start on the golden boot.

I don't really rate any of the Italian strikers. Maybe take a punt on Gilardino or Iaquinta?