rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Sabes

Group Counter-Strike: Source Map

Skully your map needs some happy hardcore playing in the background :unsure:

I'm trying to learn Hammer and will maybe give it a go with Sabes' template, it's just a bit difficult learning the basics and I have a poor attention span. But I kinda have an idea.

Skully your map needs some happy hardcore playing in the background :unsure:

I'm trying to learn Hammer and will maybe give it a go with Sabes' template, it's just a bit difficult learning the basics and I have a poor attention span. But I kinda have an idea.

Yeah I tryed messing around with adding sounds but I couldn't get anything to work. It might also be wierd because of it being part of a larger map.

slighly off topic but how can I change the way a window breaks? it's currently set the entire window goes with one bullet. I want it more like the office windows.

I'm trying to make a CS bombing map, but there doesn't seem to be info_player_terrorist, or any of the CS stuff :-(

Am I being a dimwit here, or do I have to make a special CS map somehow?

I'm trying to make a CS bombing map, but there doesn't seem to be info_player_terrorist, or any of the CS stuff :-(

Am I being a dimwit here, or do I have to make a special CS map somehow?

hmm, you got to hammer editor from Source SDK right?

In source sdk there should be a little pull down menu called "Current Game", and if Counter-Strike: Source is selected there when you open Hammer then it should have all the stuff you need in the entities list thing.

hmm, you got to hammer editor from Source SDK right?

In source sdk there should be a little pull down menu called "Current Game", and if Counter-Strike: Source is selected there when you open Hammer then it should have all the stuff you need in the entities list thing.

Yeah, make sure Counter-Strike Source is selected at the bottom of the source sdk.

That's the one, cheers guys. I'll be posting my map here soon, hopefully!

Is there a deadline for this?

In a few months or so probably, summer time really.

Can all the standard Half Life 2 assets [textures and props] be used in this kind of map?

Yeah hl2 + css stuff can be used.

How long should a level take to compile? I think I might have gone a bit overboard geometry wise

level001.jpg

This was going for nearly 2 hours before I turned my pc off. I'm used to UnrealEd, and you can go nuts with meshes without it taking years to make the level.

A tip; turn things into func_detail if they are detail (ie. not a wall/floor/ceiling) takes less time to compile. I've had some mental maps take hours before, days sometimes. These maps shouldn't take too long to compile though as they're quite small.

A tip; turn things into func_detail if they are detail (ie. not a wall/floor/ceiling) takes less time to compile. I've had some mental maps take hours before, days sometimes. These maps shouldn't take too long to compile though as they're quite small.

When you put all these maps together, are you going to have to compile it all as one big map?

and how long did edm_warzones take to compile?

A tip; turn things into func_detail if they are detail (ie. not a wall/floor/ceiling) takes less time to compile.

This should be taken as more than a tip, and more like a rule - using func_detail brush entities is an absolutely vital part of the optimisation process for in-game performance, as well as compile times. Maps that don't use them will run horribly compared to how they should.

I wish I could find a particular page I read that goes into detail on how and why they should be used, but the best I can find for now is this:

http://www.hl2world.com/wiki/index.php/Opt..._%28Geometry%29

You need to know about how the level is split into leafs / visleafs at compile time, and their effect on in-game performance. Read up on it; use the "mat_leafvis 1" console command to view them in-game, and "mat_wireframe 1" to show wireframes of everything that the game is drawing on-screen.

How long should a level take to compile?

If we take the vrad / lighting part of the compile process out of the equation [which can take long, obviously depending on the amount of lights to calculate], then compiling maps shouldn't take very long at all. Fully finished, detailed maps shouldn't take more than 10 minutes, as far as I can tell. If you're talking about hours, then it's because your map is in dire need of basic optimisation [see above].

When you put all these maps together, are you going to have to compile it all as one big map?

Yes

and how long did edm_warzones take to compile?

Can't remember tbh, not too long I don't think. I no longer have the file to test though :o

func_detail brush entities

I'm guessing these are the equivalent of static meshes in UnrealEd? I know you could go to town with those. I'll look into it, just hope it won't take too long to sort my map out :-(

I'm guessing these are the equivalent of static meshes in UnrealEd? I know you could go to town with those. I'll look into it, just hope it won't take too long to sort my map out :-(

They're basically an entity you put "onto" any brushes* in your map that you don't want to be included in the vis process, where the level is broken up into the leafs it uses to calculate what is drawn on screen during gameplay.

[if you don't know what leaves and the vis process are, you need to read up and find out because it's important! :o]

*Select the brushes and press Ctrl+T, then select func_detail