rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Sabes

Group Counter-Strike: Source Map

This was posted in the Steam folder and Qazimod reckoned I should post it here too.

I'm up for making a new edm map for Counter Strike: Source and thought we could try getting a few different people to make areas for it and chuck the areas together and release it under my name and I make lots of monies from it.

An edm map:

Both teams start off in separate room. Once one person has escaped, both teams get locked in to their rooms. The person who escaped is then faced with 4 doorways, each leading into different independant areas offering different experiences, settings and weapons. Once an area is selected, both teams are teleported to that area and the gameplay follows that of a typical aim map.

If you don't understand that, check out tessera or warzones in my sig to see how it plays.

What will happen is I'll release a template for areas which will consist of a box which will be the boundarys of your map. You will then be free to create anything you like in there. Hopefully if a few people do it, each area will be nicely different and have a different style to it and stuff. There will probably be quite a loose deadline of a couple of months or so.

I was just checking if there's much interest in the project from people, I know a few people have tried mapping in the past so it might be a bit of a laugh or be really, really shit.

---------------------------------------

edm_rllmuk

---------------------------------------

New edm map from here.

I've been out of the CSS loop for a while and I had no idea what 'EDM' was before this - although I love most aim maps.

This might sound rude but it's nothing against your project your putting together here*, these EDM maps sound pretty pointless from what I've understood reading your first post. They're just loads of aim maps integrated into one? I don't understand why anyone would do that, surely you'd just play on the best aim maps that you liked, rather than play a map that randomly gives you one, some of which would undoubtedly be better/worse than the others.

Have I missed a vital point?

*because I'll probably try and make something to add to it. I've never had the time/inclination to properly finish off a Counter-strike map before, bar a few small aim maps anyway. I'll see what I can muster.

[edit]

Regarding my point about these EDM maps sounding pointless I just wanted to make it clear I wasn't talking about this specific one, I think it'll be great to play on loads of random rllmuk-made maps with each other. I was just talking generally, why someone would make this 'gametype' up in the first place.

aim maps tend to get very boring very quickly, edm mixes it up a bit by allowing one of the players to select a map for the round then after that round another map can be selected.

I can't explain it very well, it's best to just download one of them and give it a go tbh.

I jut got sdk, I'm pretty terrible with it. I tried the complete noob turtoral on fpsbanana but it stoped looking like theirs really quickly. I'm annoyed because I have an idea for an awesome map in my head :)

I'll try to help btw :unsure:

I might snap a bit off boro resistance and make that into an aim map. Question . Do textures automatically stay to scale wen being applied or do u have to fiddle to get them to match up?

Question. Do textures automatically stay to scale wen being applied or do u have to fiddle to get them to match up?

There would definitely be some fiddling to do to align things correctly in Hammer - not to mention there will be even more fiddling to actually convert your custom textures to the format that Source reads [using provided tools in the SDK]. Doing your custom map with custom textures wouldn't / won't be a quick job!

There would definitely be some fiddling to do to align things correctly in Hammer - not to mention there will be even more fiddling to actually convert your custom textures to the format that Source reads [using provided tools in the SDK]. Doing your custom map with custom textures wouldn't / won't be a quick job!

I doubt id use custom textures at this stage, maybe in the future after iv mastered how to model in he. I mite just send in the basic map in with the no textures orange effects cus they look cool. :D and work on making it playable. Iv not downloaded the zip yet.how much space have we got to play with?

Looking interesting Mr P :)

Ryan, you've got a box which is 1824 x 1280 x 656 units to create your area in.

Lastly, I forgot to mention these in my other post, can you try and make sure your area's optimized and there'll be 20 spawn points, 10 on each side.

Has anyone else started messing around with map ideas yet?

I've got a few ideas, haven't started messing around with them in hammer yet though.

Are those glass panels breakable?

what do you mean by this?

Essentially all you need to do is turn brushes into func_detail. The general rule for this is leave walls, floor, ceiling as brushes, everything else should be a func_detail. There are other things you can do but not many that should apply for these areas. If you don't understand it, I can go through your map for you and sort it out :P

So I spent an hour or so pissing about in Hammer earlier and came up with this.

edm_template_rllmuk0000.jpg

edm_template_rllmuk0001.jpg

It's a bit awkward to see because of it not being textured properly but I'm going with this layout, unless I find any major problems with it later on. Now onto texturing and decorating it!

I've got nothing to do later on so I might have a quick play. I've always wondered when making maps previously where you can find all those developer textures though, how do I get to them or what do I have to search for?

My first effort could have gone better:

clp1.jpg

Well at first I just wanted my name in lights... ("QAZIWOOD", like Hollywood, see?)

clp2.jpg

But then I stuck in trees and APCs to hide behind, and built a guard tower!

clp7.jpg

Shame I seem to fall through the crates when I enter it though... :D

My first effort could have gone better:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/qazimod/clp1.jpg

Well at first I just wanted my name in lights... ("QAZIWOOD", like Hollywood, see?)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/qazimod/clp2.jpg

But then I stuck in trees and APCs to hide behind, and built a guard tower!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/qazimod/clp7.jpg

Shame I seem to fall through the crates when I enter it though... :D

You should actually use that for your final section in the final product. Everyone would go there, with no weapons or anything, and be forced to move around awkwardly until the timer runs out!

This is what I've got so far:

lights.jpg