Sonic and the badly titled Wii game

b00dles

I'm just wondering whether to get sonic and the secret rings and saw that it's got 75.5% on gamerankings.com and read a few reviews but noticed no recent thread on here whether anyone has played it.

Is there a general verdict? as long as it's better than the more recent ones, i might go for it, i did enjoy the original adventure on Dreamcast and it's meant to be back to the roots and all that....

What says the forum?

Apologies, I haven't searched too hard but i was just about to shoot out on lunch and grab it (or not) and wanted to see what the thoughts were.

Sorry for creating an uneccesary thread....

I just read the kororinpa and excite truck thread too so went for the cop out of a new thread but if sonic is all a bit meh, it might have to be excite truck time....

Apologies, I haven't searched too hard but i was just about to shoot out on lunch and grab it (or not) and wanted to see what the thoughts were.

Sorry for creating an uneccesary thread....

I just read the kororinpa and excite truck thread too so went for the cop out of a new thread but if sonic is all a bit meh, it might have to be excite truck time....

DEFINITELY buy Excite Truck over Sonic. I'm having fun with Sonic although there are times where I feel I'm just watching a videogame, but it's certainly got nothing on Exicte Truck. I must say however, that it's refreshing to be playing games with short levels (Exite Truck, Kororinpa and Sonic) that have that 'one more go' factor after coming off the back of Okami and Zelda. All 3 are ideal to dip in and out of, although every time I 'dip' into Excite Truck I seen to be there for hours!

The tutorial is RUBBISH, but it gets better after that when you start levelling up and learning new abilities. The mission structure is a bit weird, like having to play a segment of a level without hitting any jars to progress, but the levels themselves are pretty good. Also the flame noise when you choose a level is brilliant. :(

The tutorial is RUBBISH, but it gets better after that when you start levelling up and learning new abilities. The mission structure is a bit weird, like having to play a segment of a level without hitting any jars to progress, but the levels themselves are pretty good. Also the flame noise when you choose a level is brilliant. :)

Agree that the tutorial is completely pants and needlessly broken up into 20 second segments. Also, it seems a bit daft that Sonic is completely gimped in terms of speed an movement at the outset and it's only a couple of hours in that things start to pickup. Not convinced that this is a 'keeper' at this stage, and will probably look to get rid of this and Monkeyball together once I'm finished with it. Still, it seems to be fun for what it is.

i own them both, and they are both good games, tho as others have said you need to put a little bit of time into sonic learning the moves before it pays off. where as excite truck is great from the start. i say you'll be happy with which ever one you pick. :)

• 2 weeks later...

But you seem to have almost no control at all over Sonic. And you have to prepare for jumps about a week in advance. And you have to know where baddies are going to be before they're even there. And half the time when you do that dash-forward-when-jumping attack, nothing happens.

I'm really disappointed.

This arrived yesterday. I've been playing it this morning.

Dear god. I think it might be *worse* than the 360 game :)

How? Firstly there are NO instance deaths from falling off a floating platform. There are no 'Oppps sonic missed the target and flew off into the distance' attacks. Take Sonic Adventure. Remove everything from the game apart from the set pieces. Times the set pieces by a million, add in some control and you have Sonic on the Wii. IT works really well and with each level lasting about ten minutes, its ten minutes of pure fun and thrills.

Sonic 360 is what you'd get if you gave sonic to a CG forum. Looks great, no gameplay at all. But thank god Sega have removed the horrible floating platform level designs that were in Sonic Heroes to date.

But you seem to have almost no control at all over Sonic. And you have to prepare for jumps about a week in advance. And you have to know where baddies are going to be before they're even there. And half the time when you do that dash-forward-when-jumping attack, nothing happens.

I'm really disappointed.

You do have to learn the levels and know what's coming. I don't see that as a bad thing.

No problems with the attack at all - twist the Wiimote, rather than pushing it physically forwards.

My girlfriend said she played Sonic whilst I was out, but couldn't get to grips with the controls. I empathised, saying it took me quite a while to get any skill at them. Then I found the nunchuck plugged in next time I turned on the Wii and discovered she'd been controlling Sonic with the stick. No wonder she found it hard.

It takes a while to get into, and I'm not sure if I'd like to see this become the standard way of doing Sonic in 3D, but now I've got into it, it's great to have a 30 min blast on.

I think my biggest complaint with it is how slow it is. I've nearly finished the game now, and whilst it does have some tremendous set pieces, it never really possesses the speed you'd expect from a Sonic game. I'd still love to see them fix the Sonic Adventure way of doing it, but this certainly makes for a great Wii game.

How? Firstly there are NO instance deaths from falling off a floating platform.

There is. I managed it in one of the training missions.

Times the set pieces by a million, add in some control and you have Sonic on the Wii.

But there is very little control. You're on a set path at all times, which wouldn't be so bad but often you change direction for no obvious reason (there's a perfectly good looking path straight ahead, but Sonic buggers off down some hole you hadn't seen) with no warning. Jumping seems entirely hit and miss (half the time it doesn't work), and what's with the THPS-style jumping, but which slows you down whilst "charging" your jump?

I've found that the game tells me, roughly once a level, that my controller is disconnected. Firstly - I know, it's WIRELESS, and secondly, if you can't get a response from my controller, how come I can control the selection arrow thing on the "controller disconnected" screen? Yes, my batteries are fine.

Also, every time I quit back to the Wii menu from Sonic (and only from Sonic), both my controllers de-sync with the Wii and I have to turn it off.

AND the loading! Gah! It takes FOREVER to reach the title screen, and the loading between levels takes longer than the levels themselves do.

Sonic 360 is what you'd get if you gave sonic to a CG forum. Looks great, no gameplay at all. But thank god Sega have removed the horrible floating platform level designs that were in Sonic Heroes to date.

Yes, but Sonic on the 360 is far, far worse than Sonic Heroes, which was already way, way down on every other Sonic game previous to it.