GDC 2007

Capwn

It would be great if Miyamoto would talk about level designing challenges in SMG for example, share some of his thoughts on the evolution of Miis, speak about where is Nintendo heading, you know, things like that. His keynote was really boring and it gives me the impression that because he is a legend, every time he takes the stage he feels he must enlighten us all about his personal life and stuff like that.

Fine - now you've cleared that up, I can see I misunderstood your point; you have my permission to feel disappointed.

well - TP is the best game of 2007, folks have just fallen for GoW's pretty visuals.

If I could play through TP multiple times with different friends in co-op then I'd agree with you. Oh and replace the pansy bow with the torque bow and then we'll talk.

And aren't these awards voted for by the actual developers? Must feel nice for Epic to be recognised by their peers like they were at DICE. So that's two award shows voted for by actual game developers and Gears topped both of them. It must have done something right other than visuals.

from the chat with Aonuma about Zelda

The company found that Wind Waker's cartoon-like graphics were alienating the lucrative teen audience in North America, who would look games of that style and think they were for kids, he continued. With the Japanese market in the midst of the dreaded "gamer drift," and the North American market much stronger, Nintendo decided to give the US what it wanted--a realistic Zelda. He said, "We had to make a game that met expectations of fans in North America. If it didn't, it could mean the end of the franchise."

bloody americans. :rage:

Yep, bloody americans. The entire industry is going that way. It's a sad sad time; that why it's easy to understand why the PS Home thing looks so 'meh'.

Everything is focus tested and safety labelled to fuck these days. :P

At least some people still 'get it' though! <waits for Ico-teams next game>

Yay, the moment is finally here! As we speak, Suda Goichi is holding his 60-minute lecture called "Punk's Not Dead". I've been looking for a (live) video stream for a while, but it just isn't there. I guess I'll have to keep refreshing Gamasutra and Joystiq until new info and (hopefully) new media arrives. Please lord Suda, give us more on No More Heroes!

New gameplay movie here:

http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/9807

Yep, bloody americans. The entire industry is going that way. It's a sad sad time; that why it's easy to understand why the PS Home thing looks so 'meh'.

Everything is focus tested and safety labelled to fuck these days. <_<

At least some people still 'get it' though! <waits for Ico-teams next game>

MASSIVE_ROLLEYES.GIF

You do realise that appreciation of (here come those words... brace yourself...) ART DIRECTION is an entirely subjective thing right? Not everyone likes the kind of cute graphics that have been so prevalent in gaming's earlier years.

Personally I think PSHome looks fine and am glad its not some kind of garish mish mash of overly cute or stylised games avatar. I also expect the avatars will have a bit more unique and idiosyncratic when there are actually people using the system.

Oh and I'm not American either.

MASSIVE_ROLLEYES.GIF

You do realise that appreciation of (here come those words... brace yourself...) ART DIRECTION is an entirely subjective thing right? Not everyone likes the kind of cute graphics that have been so prevalent in gaming's earlier years.

Personally I think PSHome looks fine and am glad its not some kind of garish mish mash of overly cute or stylised games avatar. I also expect the avatars will have a bit more unique and idiosyncratic when there are actually people using the system.

Oh and I'm not American either.

If they had gone one step further and allowed for customization of the look/art-style etc for Home, i'd be amazing.

Maybe it's a possibility for the future, that it's possible to buy a new render back-end through the online store and render your HOME in the way and art style YOU want it.

It's bloody embarrassing when they do those little dance moves in that demonstration video though. Jesus it's awful.

<_< of course I realise appreciation of ART DIRECTION is subjective. But THANKS for STATING the OBVIOUS.

I was just expressing my opinion on the fact that I think it's a shame the most 'popular' looks are not ones which I like, I guess. So many games look THE SAME these days; that's what aggrevates me the most.

I usually don't like the very 'American'/PC game look that Gears of War has; but the design and polish made it stand out - which is why I like the look of it. The sheer amount of effort that went into GoW is obvious the moment you see it. I guess I just like things that look like they have had LOVE and PASSION poured into them.

PS Home looks like a Sims/Online dating/3D Chatroom piece of shit that's just been slapped together haphazardly. Consequently it looks souless. It was made to look that way because it was shown to a board of people who were like "Yeah! The kids are TOTALLY down with this shit!". "Let's get it ready as soon as possible!". You can tell that form looking at it.

Maybe it's a possibility for the future, that it's possible to buy a new render back-end through the online store and render your HOME in the way and art style YOU want it.

Apparently you'll be able to design your pad to be anything from a cosy little nook to a spacious multi-level pimp-pad, and I believe they said you'd be able to alter it down to your own wallpaper somewhere... can't change the layout of the empty rooms too much I'm guessing, but there'll be a variety of empty spaces to imprint with your own taste. In the video I assume they only show off the places designed by Sony's in-house and undoubtedly style-conscious team.

No, they look like a marketing person's idea of what is trendy in architecture. All glass walls and open framed steel supports. It's strange how they copy a style of architectural design that only came about because of new developments in materials and construction and put this into a virtual world which has none of those constraints.