IGNORED

The Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster

dam_aks

I have always been a fan of this band, and recently I have started listening to their albums again. They remain as awesome as I have always believed them to be, which is excellent. I can safely say that I prefer The Royal Society to Horse and the Dog but both albums are decent and have some real stand out tunes. It would appear that in losing a guitarist (and main song writer) the quality of the band has dropped off somewhat. This does not however detract from the released works!

To those new to the band, I would suggest "The Fool" from the second album to get a feel for the record. The pace of the song is different to most of their other tunes, but it has a deliciously evil feel to it and I think could sell the band quite well... Maybe "When I hear you call my name" would be a better recommendation as it is a better example of the sound... Well whatever. Check them both!

I love them. They're usually brilliant live too, I did see them play an absolute stinker once but the other times they lived up to their reputation for putting on a good show. Celebrate Your Mother might be a good place to start too since that's where most people probably started with them, me included.

Some other videos:

, Psychosis Safari, Mister Mental,
, I Could Be An Angle.
It would appear that in losing a guitarist (and main song writer) the quality of the band has dropped off somewhat.

Have you heard anything that they've done since he left? Just curious as the only thing I've read about them since he went was making out that the new songs were at least as good as the old ones. More importantly, who sings the 'Give me some pie' backing vocals now?

Have you heard anything that they've done since he left? Just curious as the only thing I've read about them since he went was making out that the new songs were at least as good as the old ones. More importantly, who sings the 'Give me some pie' backing vocals now?

http://www.myspace.com/eightiesmatchboxblinedisaster

All the tunes on their page are new.

The tunes aren't bad, just don't sound quite right. Hopefully the new album is out soon, and I'll pick it up anyway. The vocals are still awesome on a few of the tracks though, love it.

Awful, awful music. I'm suprised anyone likes them.

About 3-4 years ago or something, I went to see The Murderdolls live (I'm very ashamed of myself now I hasten to add) and the 80s matchbox b-line disaster were the support band. It was so pathetic - even when I liked the fucking murderdolls I was in disbelief.

About 3-4 years ago or something, I went to see The Murderdolls live (I'm very ashamed of myself now I hasten to add) and the 80s matchbox b-line disaster were the support band. It was so pathetic - even when I liked the fucking murderdolls I was in disbelief.

How was it pathetic?

A ridiculous billing as Eighties Matchbox aren't anything like that type of music, but when your sound is pretty standalone your touring options can be limited. I suppose the horror element of the band was well played into.

Regardless, some of the tunes are awesome rock with a psychobilly and punk influence, and I like this.

Not the kind of thing I'd normally buy, but I received Horse of the Dog a few years ago as a gift and enjoyed it a good deal. Thought the singer sounded like a shoutier Julian Cope. Saw them at Donington 2003 and was surprised at how heavy they were live. They had an amusingly scornful stage presence too. Haven't checked them out since, though.

Well... perhaps not pathetic, but it was just very sub-standard music with very little stage presence etc, and it was very obvious that people wanted them to get to fuck to get the main act on.

See, when i saw them, the stage presence was great and loads of people were loving it.

I can imagine that the crowd at a Murderdolls concert were probably not quite ready for 80s Matchbox. I can also imagine 80s Matchbox probably weren't too keen on playing infront of a load of people who wont give a hoot about their music no matter how well they play...

Possibly true - the crowd was hurrendous, I think I probably caught the gays just by going. I regret that period of my life a lot.

Only 2 concerts I've been to and that's one of them - what a start.

If the other was Ricky Martin then you are forgiven.

Sounds like maybe they didn't fancy it, the time they were crap when I saw them it was one of those daft early starts where the headliner goes on at about 8 o' clock because there's some shite indie disco on afterwards so they could have just fucked it off. They seemed a totally different band to the other times I've seen them.

I can imagine that the crowd at a Murderdolls concert were probably not quite ready for 80s Matchbox.

Ah, it was the crowd's fault? :) A good band should be able to engage any audience. If they couldn't then they suck.

Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster are appropriately named.

I know most people at a gig don't expect the support to be completely shit.

Of course. But when a band has a different style to the main act, it will be hated, regardless of how good its performance is. That's the sad truth, unfortunately. People are fickle. I don't mind myself, but when you've got a crowd of cunts it will happen. My brother went to see The Darkness - the crowd was already shit (unlucky for him, didn't happen when I saw them) and they were even worse for the support - it was Ash, and they are very different.

My brother went to see The Darkness - the crowd was already shit (unlucky for him, didn't happen when I saw them) and they were even worse for the support - it was Ash, and they are very different.

Yeah, but fans of The Darkness, they're bound to be a bunch of tasteless simpletons.

Yeah, but fans of The Darkness, they're bound to be a bunch of tasteless simpletons.

You are suggesting that fans of The Muderdolls are live act connoisseurs? A group of Greebos evolved to form the ultimate in musical taste in the "Nu-Metal-wannabethe-Misfits" genre?

Kelthink is spot on.

I went to see 311 once, they were bottled off the stage because they were a big difference to other bands on the bill. It happens a lot.

• 3 years later...

New album is great, but incredibly even after all this time it still somehow has some middle of the road filler towards the end. They demoed some brilliant tracks on their Myspace that for whatever reason never made it onto the album - Alone Again, Music To Make Love To, Surrender - which are a lot stronger than some of poorer tracks that found their way onto Blood And Fire. Weird.

The standouts are fucking amazing though - Mission From God, So Long Goodnight, Monsieur Cutts, Man For All Seasons, and Riptin are all up there.

One of the best bands there is today as far as I'm concerned. I do like the new album but agree about the filler tracks. It's nice to see the band active after several years, I'm very grateful they did a third album.