March Hip Hop Recommendations

Boozy The Clown

My favourite joint off that album is John, They're Stealing, its hip hop at its best, fucking dope. I don't suppose you've got an mp3 of it you can up, I fancy screwing my face up and getting aggressive with my workmates!

:)

I feel like that all the time...I'd love to get Onyx's 'Slam' playing loud through the office PA and get rowdy...I'm sure Chewy would join me...there'd be paperclips flyin' everywhere an' shit :P

Unfortunately not mate, that one I posted is the only one I have on mp3 atm...I can sort 'John, They're Stealing' out for you though if you want? In fact, I can sort the whole album and other albums out if anyone wants, I'm sure they're hard to get now. Agreed though...ace tune again from THIII.

That's sounding like completely everything I wanted it to. Superb. It's on some fictional blaxploitation soundtrack shit for me. It's out the same day as El-P's new album, innit? That's two quite different Album Of The Year contenders at once :(

Anyone else feeling this Prodigy album? Production-wise I think it's right up there with Alchemist's best work. I just love the sleazy vibe coming off these bassy, percussive loops. This album is pimped-out to fuck B)

EDIT: Track 8 is sampling this insane funk track I heard on DJ Muro's side of 'Kings of Diggin' last year. 'The Mighty Gents Are Coming.' The strings on that thing fuck me up. So glad to hear them end up on a DOPE RAP SONG.

Anyone else feeling this Prodigy album? Production-wise I think it's right up there with Alchemist's best work. I just love the sleazy vibe coming off these bassy, percussive loops. This album is pimped-out to fuck B)

Some of the beats are dope, i'm just not feeling Prodigy's rhymes at all, this is the guy who used to rhyme about the streets of New York from the perspective of a young black teenager growing up there, and could actually make you feel the stoned paranoia and darkness that he was rapping about. When I listen to the first 2 Mobb Deep albums on my headphones I have to try and stop myself from walking with a limp!

I'm disapointed.

He's never going to be that nice again. He doesn't have the hunger, and that stoned whippet child isn't really him anymore. Certainly not since he got down with "Curtis Billion Dollar Jackson."

I like the gun word-play on some of the tracks, however. It's shallow and gimmicky, and nothing on the early Mobb Deep albums, but I think the fine, straight-forward production carries the unspectacular lyrics. The whole album is just very functional. Unspectacular, but extremely tight, in my opinion.

I think the thing I enjoy most about it is the continuity of style throughout. That's pretty rare these days. One MC, one producer. No guest spots. I miss albums like that, and I think this one illustrates why more artists should be going for that template.

EDIT: There's nothing quite like bumping classic Mobb Deep on the headphones as you walk about paranoid as fuck on a chilly night B)

PBW03CD.jpg

Peanut Butter Wolf - 666

1. Ec8or - '666’ -

2. Black Sabbath - 'Who Are You’ -

3. Death - 'Spirit Cruiser’ -

4. Death - 'Pull The Plug’ -

5. Gutted - 'Nailed To The Cross’ -

6. Ministry - 'Supermanic Soul’ -

7. Slayer - 'Angel Of Death’ -

8. Sepultura - 'Convicted In Life’ -

9. Chimaira - 'Inside The Horror’ -

10. Cannibal Corpse - 'Mangled’ -

11. Morbid Angel - 'Sworn To The Black’ -

12. Cabaret Voltaire - 'Nag, Nag, Nag’ -

13. Bruce Haack - 'Haackula’ -

14. Ministry - 'Burning Inside’ -

15. Venom - 'Stand Up (And Be Counted)’ -

16. Necrophobic - 'The Slaughter’ -

17. The Cure - 'One Hundred Years’ -

18. Faust - 'Livin' Tokyo’ -

19. Helltrain - 'Route 666’ -

20. Metal Church - 'Hitman’ -

21. Queensryche - 'Queen Of The Reich’ -

22. Black Sabbath - 'Paranoid’ -

23. Wendy Carlos - 'Clockwerk Orange Theme’ -

24. Lost Soul Project - 'Little Devil’ -

25. Iron Monkey - '666 Pack’ -

26. Satyricon - 'The Pentagram Burns’ -

27. The Boneless Ones - 'Skate For The Devil’ -

28. Decide - 'When Satan Rules His World’ -

29. Sepulvida - 'Roots Bloody Roots’ -

30. Pantera - 'Walk’ -

31. Skinny Puppy - 'Smothered Hope’ -

32. Frontline Assembly - 'Digital Tention Dementia’ -

33. Front 242- 'Special Forces’ -

34. Nitzer Ebb - 'Join In The Chant’ -

35. SITD - 'Crusade’ -

36. Revolting Cocks - 'No Devotion’ -

37. Clock DVA - 'The Hacker’ -

38. Skinny Puppy - 'Dead Lines’ -

39. Cabaret Voltaire - 'Spread The Virus’ -

40. Motley Crue - 'Looks That Kill’ -

41. Motley Crue - 'Shout At The Devil’ -

42. Venom - 'In League With Satan’ -

43. Led Zeppelin - 'Immigrant Song’

Rapidshare link.

666mix.jpg

It fuckin' rocks too.

5423103_RedgoneWild.jpg

01 Fire (feat. E3)

02 Bak Inda Buildin

03 Put It Down

04 Gimmie One

05 F__k Up Opinion (Skit)

06 Sumtn 4 Urrbody (feat. Blam, Runt Dog, Ready Roc, Icadon & Saukrates)

07 How U Like Dat (feat. Gov Mattic)

08 Freestyle Freestyle

09 Walk In Gutta (feat. Erick Sermon, Keith Murray & Biz Markie)

10 Wutchoogonnado (feat. Melanie Rutherford)

11 Dis Iz Brick Easy (feat. Ready Roc)

12 Rite Now

13 Blow Treez (feat. Ready Roc & Method Man)

14 Pimp Nutz

15 Mr. Ice Cream Man (Skit)

16 Hold Dis Blaow!

17 Get Em (feat. Saukrates & Icadon)

18 Merry Jane (feat. Snoop Dogg & Nate Dogg)

19 Gilla House Check

20 No Mo Soopaman Luva

21 Soopaman Luva (feat. E3, Hurricane G & Melanie Rutherford)

22 Soopaman Luva (feat. Hurricane G & Melanie Rutherford)

23 Suicide

PM me if you're interested...

I thought El-P was out next week? Who knew East Kilbride would be one step ahead of the game?

I've been seeing that RZA album for a quid everywhere. They must have made shitloads of them. I think it's a decent album. There are one or two seriously loud and distorted songs amongst it that really shine amongst a few of the lesser tracks.

You could try this out instead.

4011535_madlib_200.gif

Madlib - The Other Side of Los Angeles

1. The Lightmen Plus One - Energy Control Center

2. Cybertron - Clear

3. Kat - Game Over

4. Steve Grossman - Inmate Man

5. Prince Jazzbo - Blood Dunza

6. Sun Ra Arkestra - Nuclear War

7. Quasimoto - Greenery

8. Outlaw Blues Band - Deep Gully

9. Madlib - Infinity (*exclusive track*)

10. Leeroy “Horsemouth” Wallace - Herb Vendor

11. Rhythm Machine - Freakish Love

12. Mark Murphy - Sly

13. Harris & Orr - Spread Love

14. MED feat. Poke - What I Do

15. Beat Konducta - Smog Theme

16. Jaylib - Survival Test

17. Freestyle Fellowship - Park Bench People

Scheduled to release Tuesday, April 10, 2007

HipHopConnection J Dilla Ruff Draft Review

by Lucy Van Pelt

***/5

The conundrum continues

"Are Dilla fans the new 2Pac fans?" asked the message board wag, looking to stir up some response from fellow bored office workers using the internet as a way to pass company time. Cue to a predictable swamp of a response the Dilla zealots, congregating in their natural meeting place - the online message boards of the world - as they typed out - sometimes in text speak, sometimes in with emoticons, and sometimes even with good old fashioned correct technique English - their usual plaudits: "Dilla was a genius"; "Thinking about it, Dilla was probably the greatest rap producer of all time"; "Dilla's use of handclaps and synth progressions was so next level that the average message board hater who didn't think that Dilla was the greatest rap producer of all time just couldn't comprehend what they were hearing"; "Dilla actually invented the modern combustion engine, but heads just weren't advanced enough to recognise",

And so with all message board debates, it soon flew off the rails and descended into a black and white, good and bad, great and shite polarised slanging match. Hey it makes those office hours just zip by. In among the dis discourse, a few brave souls tried to chip in with something approaching reason - "Well Dilla was hardly the first hip hop producer to use handclaps"; "You want synth in your music ? Um check out some Dre, or pretty much anything pre-RUN DMC"; " He made some great songs but he was far from one of hip hop true great producers - he didn't even craft an entire top to toe classic like Preemo, Marly Marl, Dre, Prince Paul and all of them have"; "If you want to put some proper context on Dilla , it's just as apt to fuse him to Detroit's futurist techno scene - what with those synths and all - rather than try and pretend that he re-invented hip hop"; Someone also pointed out that if hand on heart's we're all being truthfull about it - Dilla was also a significant factor in making one of hip hop's most loved , A Tribe Callled Quest , go shit.

Still though the Dilla zealots kept tapping away , unwittingly doing their very best impression of a 'Pac zealot, exageratting their idol's fruits to almost biblical proportions without realising that by coming off as plainly ridiculous ("Dilla changed my life... because ?uestlove told me so" read the T-shirt under the office shirt), they were more likely to sully his legacy than enhance it. Which when it came to something like Ruff Draft a re-release of a 2003 Japan only project, was a shame, being that it banged harder and grittier than pretty much everything he'd attempted since "Welcome 2 Detroit". Even if he was a very average producer on the mic with a sideline in horrid chorus chants )"I wanna crush all night/ I wanna crush all night/I wanna crush all night/ I wanna crush all night/ She fell over/ She fell over/ She fell over/ She fell over"; or something like that, anyway .) The zealots just didn't hear it though.

I knew it wasn't just me.

The El P album is really good , chuck it on a 360 visualiser to see the layers.

Edit : The El P album is 'kin 'mazing.

I thought El-P was out next week? Who knew East Kilbride would be one step ahead of the game?

I've been seeing that RZA album for a quid everywhere. They must have made shitloads of them. I think it's a decent album. There are one or two seriously loud and distorted songs amongst it that really shine amongst a few of the lesser tracks.

They had the Afro Samurai soundtrack too now I remember, but I'd heard nothing about it so put it back.

I think it's a bit unfair to say that Dilla turned Quest shit, as his stuff was easily the best on 'The Love Movement', which wasn't as bad as people will say. Also the quote that his stuff was as bigger influence to Detroit's techno scene as it was to hip hop is completely off the mark. It sounds like a statement from someone who hasn't listened to anything Detroit in his entire life. I mean 'B.B.E.' is like a Theo Parrish track at 33 instead of 45, but apart from that they use of synths isn't even comparable. You could say someone like Moodymann uses Detroit's heritage in his music the same way as Dilla, but Kerry Dixon Jnr's influence on the scene is staggering, whereas Dilla's just, well, isn't.

Yeah, just listened to it the first time this morning, going through my second listen straightaway. It's a lot more instant than Fantastic Damage, probably because it's A LOT more melodic, but I don't think I like it as much. Time will tell, though. Don't get it twisted, it's not shite because it's not Fan Dam. It is a really good album, one of the best I've heard in ages I think. I definitely see a lot of cross-over appeal. Not specifically cause of all the rock musicians who are lost in the mix somewhere. I think he out-Prodigies The Prodigy with a lot of the music. He's got that banging industrial distortion mixing up with almost uplifting vibey chord progression on his synths and shit. I get a definite dance music feel off it. But slower, louder and filthier :(

The use of canned laughter as a rhythmic device on 'League of Extraordinary Nobodies' is inspired. The album is packed with nice wee touches like that, and I get the feeling more will reveal themselves with further listening. On some Fantastic Damage type shit, in fact...

I think it's a bit unfair to say that Dilla turned Quest shit, as his stuff was easily the best on 'The Love Movement', which wasn't as bad as people will say. Also the quote that his stuff was as bigger influence to Detroit's techno scene as it was to hip hop is completely off the mark. It sounds like a statement from someone who hasn't listened to anything Detroit in his entire life. I mean 'B.B.E.' is like a Theo Parrish track at 33 instead of 45, but apart from that they use of synths isn't even comparable. You could say someone like Moodymann uses Detroit's heritage in his music the same way as Dilla, but Kerry Dixon Jnr's influence on the scene is staggering, whereas Dilla's just, well, isn't.

The reviewer wasn't looking for a reasoned response, Art.

The reviewer was looking for 'the zealots' to to come out in full force and lay on the text speak and emoticon abuse. And point out that Ruff Draft never came out in Japan. And that..well, yeah, it's true - those 'Dilla Changed My Life' are mostly worn by fashion victims.

An oldie that I've only just got round to listening to (and sigh - it's a Mixtape)...

...recomfuckingmended:

00-dj_whoo_kid_and_kool_g_rap-dead_or_alive-2005-c4.jpg

Whoo Kid & Kool G Rap - Dead Or Alive 05

| 01| The Return - Intro | 00:43 |

| 02| Kool G Rap - Day In The Slums | 02:20 |

| 03| Kool G Rap - Interlude | 00:16 |

| 04| Kool G Rap - Champions | 02:15 |

| 05| Kool G Rap - On The Block | 01:17 |

| 06| Kool G Rap - Heavy Metal | 02:50 |

| 07| Kool G Rap - Playa's Play | 02:42 |

| 08| Kool G Rap - Interlude | 00:33 |

| 09| Kool G Rap - Gangsta Nigga | 02:04 |

| 10| Kool G Rap feat. Joel Ortiz - China White | 03:28 |

| 11| Kool G Rap - Gun Ho | 01:32 |

| 12| Kool G Rap feat. Bun B & Killa Mike - Real OGs | 03:15 |

| 13| Kool G Rap - God | 02:18 |

| 14| Kool G Rap - It's Not A Game | 03:54 |

| 15| DJ Whoo Kid - Outro | 00:25 |

I'm more interested in their psychedelic soul mix. It had awesome accompanying artwork to go with it, but it's no longer on the Stones Throw site. I wish I'd saved it :)

I've got that Soul mix (I think it's the one you're talking about), I'll up it when I get back to my PC in a couple of days. But, yeah the El-P album is all kinds of amazing, bought my copy today from HMV too :lol: