March Hip Hop Recommendations

Boozy The Clown

Stig & Robbie Williams

Earlier this week HHC met up with Stiggy Smalls for an interview - in a pub, naturally - and, of course, the rumours of him working with Robbie 'Port Vale' Williams came up.

We'll be dropping the full deal in a soon-coming issue of HHC, but in the meantime here's the official line, straight from Stig's mouth:

"The dude got at me on MySpace. It was really funny actually - all it had was 'Rob, Beverley Hills'. I got some message from some guy saying, 'It's Rob, I really need to speak to you. You won't believe who this is!' I'm thinking, 'Who do I know from the past called Rob?'

"Then he sent me a message saying, 'It's Robbie Williams.' And I said, 'Is it fuck!' It was stupid O'clock in the morning and he told me he was out in Australia at the time and was off to play football and we'd speak later.

"So I rang the number from my mate Ben's phone - didn't have any credit on mine - and some dude answers. 'Hello? It's David.' Or Michael someone. So I'm just about to think it's a wind up and this voice goes [does Robbie Williams impression], 'Is that Stiggy?'

"My opening words to him were, 'Are you taking the fucking piss?'

"I'm like this polar opposite to the guy. It was surreal. And it turns out he'd saw the Asher D battle, he looked for some more shit, read a few interviews, liked the humour, the subjects and the character.

"He said, 'I don't know what we're gonna do but I wanna work with you.'

"Now having spoken to him, he seems like a genuine guy, and if it comes off it'll be a blessing, but I went through an element of, 'How will this affect my career? Will it be a complete balls up?'

"Going from one extreme to the other - me to him - is almost a bit of a contradiction to work with a pop star. But when I spoke to him I said, 'You do understand I'm not a pop star?'

"He said, 'Well I've seen what you do and I like it. And I'm not a rapper.'

"But he knows his hip-hop, you know - I was taken aback when he was talking about Stetsasonic and Souls Of Mischief..."

Stay tuned to HHC for more on hip-hop's latest odd couple, and in the meantime cop Stig's very excellent EP.

Fuck knows. When they last played there the only guys missing were Method Man (who was filming his shite sitcom with Redman) and ODB (who was in rehab/incarcerated/banned from leaving America or something). None of these factors are in play right now, so my guess is that, while ODB obviously can't show up other than in a spiritual manifestation as a tent-load of drunks, they'll all be there. They managed it before.

I'm told they're playing gigs in Manchester and London too, by the way.

I just wish I bought a ticket for T, what with DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist playing too. Man... Shadow and Wu at the same place and I can't get a ticket <_<

I just read that this mix is designed to be watched with Apocalypse Now Redux version. Apparently if you start playing it 14 seconds into the movie it has various sounds on it that fit with the film soundtrack. I don't have the film to try it out but if you do it might be something worth trying out.

don't have it either, £6.99 at play.com, think i will get it, there's a 3 for 18.99 on B)

@Daimond D. Soooooo, RA ain't coming to Bristol at all now then?! You got my hopes up for nothing!

Well I don't know for definite...all I've been told is that Rukus or Bagman aren't putting him on...someone else could have picked him up.

I've just been listening to Prefuse 73 - One Word Extinguisher & Vocal Studies + Uprock Narratives. Can anybody recommend some more chilled, melodic, instrumental hip-hop beats? In particular I liked Storm Returns, Perverted Undertone, 7th Message, Afternoon Love In, Black List, Last Night & Half of What (not an album track).

I've just been listening to Prefuse 73 - One Word Extinguisher & Vocal Studies + Uprock Narratives. Can anybody recommend some more chilled, melodic, instrumental hip-hop beats? In particular I liked Storm Returns, Perverted Undertone, 7th Message, Afternoon Love In, Black List, Last Night & Half of What (not an album track).

You might want to check out Dabrye who makes kind of lo-fi electronica style hip hop in the same vein as Prefuse 73, not really my cup of tea but he's from Detroit so he did a bit with Dilla as well.

I recommended a Dj Mitsu insturmental lp last month thats just been released on Jazzy Sport but its a bit more straight up head noddy shit than Prefuse 73 and the like.

Erm, can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

edit; I'm just listening to the new Dj Vadim lp and while i'm not really into it maybe you should check out some of his older lps?

Has anyone else heard Black Milk's - Popular Demand yet as personally I think its my fav album for a long, long time.

Think Kanye West but with a bit more omph to the beats and he is a far better MC than Kanye too. The lyrics aint really saying nothing but the beats on the album are great and there is not a single track on the album thats really skippable which is something quite special i feel.

Has anyone else heard Black Milk's - Popular Demand yet as personally I think its my fav album for a long, long time.

Think Kanye West but with a bit more omph to the beats and he is a far better MC than Kanye too. The lyrics aint really saying nothing but the beats on the album are great and there is not a single track on the album thats really skippable which is something quite special i feel.

Yeah, I had a quick listen at the weekend but i've got to transfer my vinyl copy to my phone to get the full headphone bump. But it sounds dope from what i've heard, the single with Guilty Simpson is amazing.

My mate sent me this

Recommended viewing for De La Soul fans! DMC, KRS-One, Big Daddy Kane and others are at the end, giving them props, predicting long careers for the Long Islanders. They were, as ever, on fucking point!

Couple of quick sound-bites from Prince Paul, talking about his production process. Gold!

If you like Prefuse 73's lighter side, his The '92 vs '02 Collection EP is well worth buying - I bought it from Bleep a while back for about £3 or so. I can send you the Aidos album which I posted about a while ago on Groovin' You if you want, that reminds me quite a bit of Prefuse 73 and is very accomplished.

I'm sure so more will come to me soon enough.

Thanks beeps, I'll check out their EP. I just listened to the Aidos tracks you posted, they're a little darker and more abtract than what I'm looking for. I actually put on some smooth Pete Rock and Dilla productions after the Prefuse 73 stuff. Just fancy something funky, but preferably instrumental. I'll look into those names you mentioned too esar, cheers.

Self Scientific on The Breakdown

Videos by Self Scientific, Phaoah Monche, Prodigy & Thirstin Howl III.

It's good to see Thirstin Howl back on form with that vid...one of my favourites, he's raw NY underground shit almost personified. I'd recommend all his albums...apart from Skilligan's Island which was a bit weak. The Ralph Lauren/Polo obsession him and the Lo-Lifes have is hilarious...but interesting. Have read excerpts from a book about the history of it somewhere (possibly The Source :) ).

Thirstin Howl III ft. Unique London - Brooklyn Hard Rock

http://www.sendspace.com/file/89713w

Also, just bought the latest Gang Starr compilation, Mass Appeal: The Best Of... Yes, I have all their albums (even the last comp, Full Clip!) but wanted this one just for the disc 2 DVD video collection. Anyway, it's reminded me of some of their lesser mentioned tunes...unsung classics if you like...such as 'Ex Girl To Next Girl'. I remember seeing the video for this on Yo! MTV Raps a few times (including one of the shows I have on VHS somewhere), and it's still dope as you like now...the smoothed out horns, the vocal sample (KRS?) coupled with Premo's simple but tight and extremely effective cutting just got me in the Hip Hop zone once again...that's a zone where I get stopped in my tracks and nothing can distract me from the beats and rhymes B)

Oh and 'B.Y.S.' is another too....I could listen to that piano break for days...if I was put in a cell in Guantanamo Bay, and the CIA had it played loudly on a loop on some torture shit into the cell...I'd still be there, days...even weeks later, nodding my head in the corner happily...

Oh and 'B.Y.S.' is another too....I could listen to that piano break for days...if I was put in a cell in Guantanamo Bay, and the CIA had it played loudly on a loop on some torture shit into the cell...I'd still be there, days...even weeks later, nodding my head in the corner happily...

You might be interested in the source track:

I Got Some - Sugar Billy Garner

It's good to see Thirstin Howl back on form with that vid...one of my favourites, he's raw NY underground shit almost personified. I'd recommend all his albums...apart from Skilligan's Island which was a bit weak. The Ralph Lauren/Polo obsession him and the Lo-Lifes have is hilarious...but interesting. Have read excerpts from a book about the history of it somewhere (possibly The Source :) ).

Thirstin Howl III ft. Unique London - Brooklyn Hard Rock

http://www.sendspace.com/file/89713w

My favourite joint off that album is John, They're Stealing, its hip hop at its best, fucking dope. I don't suppose you've got an mp3 of it you can up, I fancy screwing my face up and getting aggressive with my workmates!

'tis the tune from Soundbombing 2 me thinks. Proper dope ish!

Yeah you're right...forgot it was on that. Unique London's apparently his wife and apparently English...though she sounds a bit of a comedy fake cockney to me. Her solo joint 'Who This British Bitch Is' is funny as fuck.