March Hip Hop Recommendations

Boozy The Clown

w0rrrrrrrrrrrrd. FADER magazine got the lowdown on the LP:

Looks like a parody of a Redman album, what with the skits and all. Hardcore Red fans will probably piss themselves silly at the self-referentialism of it all. Could be a pretty good album, all things considered. That 808 treatment of 'Sun Is Shining' sounds crazy dope phat. That's on some goofball shit. Like J-Zone says, there hasn't been a lot of that going on lately. Plus, the Biz is on the album <_<

To be honest, much as I love Redman, as soon as you're talking more than 12 tracks that album's gonna get boring to listen to. There should be a new rap rule that you can't have more than a dozen songs on a record, as there are very few acts who can keep the quality going for longer than that.

Now that I do agree with. And maybe a maximum of 3 or 4 different producers (that's me blatantly using Illmatic as a template). I know a couple of my favourite albums feature more than that (Supreme Clientelle, for one), but it takes a special, Ghostface-sized artistic mind and talent to take beats from all over the place and bring them together as one cohesive album. Especially when there are 20-odd tracks involved.

I'll make a guess that the new Redman album features 4 or 5 good songs, about 6 or 7 more decent ones, with the rest being filler. Negativity is the language of haters, but I'll be damned if I'm wrong.

Bear witness:

That's just the nature of the hip-hop beast. Mixtapes are part of the culture's bread and water. Respect that.

I can respect what they are, or what they used to be. But they're no longer as important. And with some much variety these days, you're a mug to accept second-rate garbage. Demand more from your music. Don't accept whatever is thrown at you.

Lowest common denominator type shit, mainly. Nothing too challenging.

And you never qualified this (which incidentally was what annoyed me most).

Also, you said yourself back on Dizogg's Forum that you weren't a hip-hopper.

Sorry, were you born with a mic in your hand? Did you recieve a copy of OB4CL at your christening?

YOU AIN'T LIVE THIS SHIT. YOU AIN'T DRINK 40s. Alllllll of that.

You're being silly if you wanna argue about who is 'living' hip-hop. Neither of us are, and you knowit. We're a couple of white guys born in Scotland ffs.

Sorry, were you born with a mic in your hand? Did you recieve a copy of OB4CL at your christening?

I'm not into willy-waving about who is more hip-hop than who, but hip-hop is my absolute passion. I've wasted stupid percentages of life reading about it and listening to it. I saw an art school research trip to New York, not as a great chance to visit galleries, but as a great chance of hopping on trains and seeing some graf walls of fame. Shit like this. I spend money on albums. I collect the shit. Been into it since youth.

That's my story.

You're being silly if you wanna argue about who is 'living' hip-hop. Neither of us are, and you knowit. We're a couple of white guys born in Scotland ffs.

Obviously my all caps rant about 40s and "living this shit" was meant as a joke, but as someone who wrote graf and who's life soundtrack has been drum machines, scratching and loops, I actually do feel I've lived the music. "Hip-hop" doesn't necessarily mean stabbing hoods in Queensbridge or something like that. I know plenty of white boys from Scotland who've run around painting murals, and dudes who DJ, and guys who make beats. Being from Scotland doesn't mean you can't be hip-hop. You've possibly got a jumped-up idea of what all that means. It's just a style of music, at the end of the day. Some people make art-work as an extension of that, some guys go to shows, some guys dress in the appropriate styles, some guys really celebrate all of these things. I do all of that. I don't want to blow my own trumpet here, man. I explained that I respected your opinion, without necessairly agreeing with it all the time.

Surely it's insulting to the artists who produce hip-hop to say that you can only truly appreciate it if you've 'lived' it - I'm sure Ghostface loves the fact that his audience is so diverse, and in my case, I know a white kid from one of the posher parts of the England is enjoying his stuff as much as some guy living on Staten Island. The cool thing about music is that you don't have to 'qualify' to enjoy it. You need ears and a brain.

Ghostface raps about reminiscing over the sweets girls shared with you at school, and how he'd store that information in the memory wank bank before going home to hump a pillow. Face it, if you're a member of Rllmuk, you've lived this particular brand of hip-hop.

Except possibly the sharing of sweets with girls. In which case, you betta have robbed that bitch. Which, as we all know, is infinitely more hip-hop.

I'm not into willy-waving about who is more hip-hop than who, but I will anyway...

Well I best give up then, eh? If I can't commit my life to it then I have no right to listen. And we wonder why there's never any new faces in this thread? It's just a style of music at the end of the day, right?

I do all of that. I don't want to blow my own trumpet here, man. I explained that I respected your opinion, without necessairly agreeing with it all the time.

With all due respect, Cal, your original post showed no respect at all - bear witness:

For what it's worth, Twizzles is a nugget who'll dismiss anything even remotely challenging. I bet he hates on Donuts more than you do. Ptwizzy/Vaughan ain't a hip-hopper, but he likes the odd bit of hip-hop. Lowest common denominator type shit, mainly. Nothing too challenging. Ptwizzy can't go mixtapes in any shape or form. Hip-hoppers revere them, he just sees them as too much music. That's how it flies. Stop criticising folk. It's not like anyone's ever come on here and called Crunk Juice album of the year or anything...

Sorry if I offended you. I figured we were all matey enough in here to get away with digs about eachother's posting style. Apologies if you think I was harsh. You know I've always stuck up for your against-the-grain posts. Ironically, it's my thinking that your lateness to the game, and your apparent disinterest in the entire culture (I know you like the music) is what gives your contrary posts such flava. I think you're an asset to the threads, and I apologise, again, for ripping into you. I was trying to explain your posting style in layman's terms for our boy Trill. Admittedly, I seem to have been heavy handed with it.

Sorry if I offended you. I figured we were all matey enough in here to get away with digs about eachother's posting style. Apologies if you think I was harsh. You know I've always stuck up for your against-the-grain posts. Ironically, it's my thinking that your lateness to the game, and your apparent disinterest in the entire culture (I know you like the music) is what gives your contrary posts such flava. I think you're an asset to the threads, and I apologise, again, for ripping into you. I was trying to explain your posting style in layman's terms for our boy Trill. Admittedly, I seem to have been heavy handed with it.

It's just an internet thing I guess. Sometimes it can be hard to tell it's a joke without the obligatory wink.gif. I agree that negativity is the language of haterz so forgive me for misunderstanding your original post.

No worries and no hard feelings then.

Not sure why you think I have a lack of interest in the whole genre, it's not the case. Admittedly my interest isn't as deeply rooted and as far-stretched as is the case with some of the regulars, but I have at least an appreciation for all four elements. I'm just sorry that, for me, my life must be balanced fairly evenly and if if I wanted to, I couldn't commit to hip-hop like some others. Music is a big part of my life, but it's not my whole life. In all fairness, pussy is my weakness. Also every other saturday's my half day off, and it's off to the match I go. Plus my mum is mad sick, I don't think she'd appreciate me being brought home in a meat wagon for trying to graf the walls of the local shop or whatever!

In all fairness, pussy is my weakness. Also every other saturday's my half day off, and it's off to the match I go.

<_<

I didn't realise you hit the 'Brox so often. That's admirable. Watching Rangers this year, you've seen more struggle than an entire planet of PJ's does in decades. Hope yir maw feels better soon, bro ^_^

Anyway, back to the hip-hop. BEEF WARS PART 8 MILLION AND NINE:

THE NEW RAWKUS RECORDS. SAME ASSHOLES THEY ALWAYS WERE.

so the other day me and my band took a picture with puffy. he had been in our rehearsal spot in brooklyn the entire week and we thought it would be something we would regret if we had missed the chance to get a flic with dude. this is for many reasons. there are the obvious points of irony (el-p and puffy in the same room together!?!?!?! but how? why?), as well as the fact that he is simply one of the most famous people in the world. so we went in to the hall and asked him if he would take a picture with us. he was on a conference call but told us as soon as he was done he would come in to our room and take a flic. yeah right, we thought. so 15 minutes pass and we had all but forgotten about it. we were in the middle of rehearsing TPC when the door swings open and puff walks in. i had a full band there so we just kept going with the song. diddy chilled in the corner dancing (i shit you not) and waving his hands in the air. when we finished he came over and we took a flic. he shook everyones hand, smiled, was gratious, asked for a cd then bounced. a true gentelman (at least to us). we couldnt wait to get home and put the picture up on our respective myspace pages. i have met a lot of people but there was something so hilarious and wonderful about this picture. maybe it was that we were all genuinely having a great time. the smiles you see are not sarcastic or smarmy, they are real smiles from a group of guys having a blast. and of course... el-p and puffy????? so up on myspace it went. out to all our friends it went. a proud and hilarious, unexpected moment of very differet musical worlds converging. one of the those rare funny/fun/cool moments that come out of no where and is completely unexpected but great.

in steps WWW.RAWKUS.COM.

these twisted, corrupted shit eaters who stole money from everyone they worked with, fired their staff a few days before christmas, signed amazing artists and never put their records out, blocked artists they had under contract from signing to other labels even after they had driven their label in to the ground and werent even functioning, sycophanttically attempted to attach themselves to anyone in the mainstream they possibly could, etc. etc. etc...

well here they are again. the "new" rawkus. launching again for any sad sap of an artist who wants to wake up one day and realize they are getting screwed, for any staff member who wants an honest pay only to eventually realize they are disposable. the "new" rawkus. the ones who are literally dispersing questionairs in europe to fans asking what type of music they should be releasing. the "new" rawkus. so these motherfuckers take the picture that was taken with my camera and post it up on their site with a news piece entitled something to the effect of: "company flows el-p and puffy?" that's it. as though the picture is some sort of statement about me. as though the picture is proof of me "selling out". then they have one of their staff members go around to various message boards like OKAYPLAYER and the post about it in any and every post about my new album. oh yeah? you like the el-p record? check out this picture of him and puffy! oh word? you think el is a dope producer? check out this picture of him and puffy!

the "new" rawkus, eh? great start, fellas. jump start your new era with a half assed smear campaign against the guy that literally delivered you the first album that jumpstarted your entire label. a guy you stole dough from, dissrepected, etc.

this is the kind of spirit that coarses through the clotted, stinking lifeblood of that label, and this is why i believe in my heart of hearts that the label is as corrupted and doomed as it ever was. there is no picture of me that exists that can wipe away the guilt of the way these guys operated and clearly continue to operate. there is no moment or image that can take away the fact that while you were whoring yourselves and destroying everyone that worked with you and believed in you i was doing what i thought was right, and still do.

how insulting. how pathetic. how mean spirited and how completely useless and missguided. get off my dick.

i would sooner spend an eternity hanging with puffy than involve myself with the douche bags behind rawkus, be it the old one or the "new" one. as far as im concerned you can keep that picture up there forever. please do. that one moment was more entertaining and fun and genuine than the enitre sum of our business relationship.

ps: they took it down.

pps: now just so im not misconstrued here, im not shitting on rawkus artists. i just feel for anyone who thinks at the end of the day they are gonna get fair and just treatment from these dudes. i may be wrong, though. i hope i am. every artist on a label deserves to be treated right. sometimes shit doesnt work out that way, sometimes it does. i had a bitter experience, yes. but i had no intention of bringing it up publically cause i've moved on and im happy as hell. but seeing them put the flic up of me struck a nerve. it makes me think that in fact nothing has changed. but hey, what do i know. its hard running a label. i know for a fact that even if you do everything within your power to make it work, sometimes you can (as a label owner) get assigned blame for things that are out of your control. but god damn theres a classy way to do things and theres a shitty way.

What was it he said back on Fantastic Damage? "Sing to Rawkus? I'd rather be mouth-fucked by nazi's, unconscious." :lol:

Anyone fancy tracking down the photograph in question? It sounds awesome.

Also, I find the idea of Puff dancing in the corner of the studio to EL-P beats pretty hilarious. I know everyone hates Puff, but I'll always maintain a bit of love for his dancing in the ridiculous video for 'Mo Money, Mo Problems.'

What's he doing? Where did he get those moves? He musta just burned b-boy cats on the Harlem street corners coming up.

EDIT: How HUGE must the budget have been for that video? I actually think it's one of my all-time favourites. It's shiny as fuck!

And maybe a maximum of 3 or 4 different producers (that's me blatantly using Illmatic as a template).

There's nothing wrong with using a good template though. Seriously, you'd think someone at the label/management/A&R/whatever would say, 'Look, it's just not a good idea to put that many tracks on your record...' If someone told me about/or I read a review about an album with just 12 dope tracks I'm far more likely to buy it than one where I know I'm gonna end up deleting most of it and just adding five or six of them to a playlist.

What's he doing? Where did he get those moves? He musta just burned b-boy cats on the Harlem street corners coming up.

He went to dancing school or some shit. For real, Puffy will kill anyone when it comes to a dance off.

Haven't recommended anything in a while, been listeing to this loads lately. I've pimped Five Deez before, but never this album.

fivedeez~~~_slowchild_101b.jpg

Five Deez - Slow Children Playing

The kind of album you can just leave on, forget about, then it'll finish and you'll be like "That sounded cool"...then you listen again, forget it's on...etc.

Just easy listening, un-offensive, mid-90's seldom heard hip-hop...just my cup of tea!

Track 02 - Nek Shit

Here is some Marvin Gaye-sampling HEAT by Redman, produced by Pete Rock. It's on some ill Lalo Schifrin-type chase shit:

Gimmie One - Redman

BURNER!

Oh. Shit. Thats got me head-nodding at my desk!

Five Deez - Slow Children Playing

The kind of album you can just leave on, forget about, then it'll finish and you'll be like "That sounded cool"...then you listen again, forget it's on...etc.

Just easy listening, un-offensive, mid-90's seldom heard hip-hop...just my cup of tea!

Track 02 - Nek Shit

I hooked up with their producer Fat Jon when I was out in Berlin a couple of years ago, he's got some nice beats.

For some reason I can't download stuff from Speedyshare, I ounly get the first minute of the track. Any ideas anyone?

This may well have been mentioned in last month's thread, but El-P's coming to the UK next month and he's playing three whole shows!

http://www.definitivejux.net/tours/archive..._in_europe.html

Damn...no shows near me.

I got offered RA The Rugged Man the other week but can't do it as I'm a broke-ass mofo...would have been one of only two dates in the UK is what I was told.

:(

Why thank you kind sir!

I got offered RA The Rugged Man the other week but can't do it as I'm a broke-ass mofo...would have been one of only two dates in the UK is what I was told.

Gutted mate, from what I hear, he's meant to be fucking brilliant live.

I'm hoping to go to the London date, is anyone else gonna reach?

Some Wu-Tang banger 101 type shit. This one will have a few fans, I reckon.

The Weeping Tiger - Cilvarings featuring Raekwon & Ghostface (produced by RZA)

I wondered what had happened to the Cilvaringz album, I downloaded an album sampler off Spine (I think) a few months ago and liked what I heard - like you say, real 101 Wu Banga material:-

Cilvaringz - Official 10 minute Album Sampler

27500.x-news-jaylib-sm.jpg

Jaylib's Champion Sound Reissued, Expanded

Madlib compiles L.A.-themed mix

Stones Throw will reissue Jaylib's Champion Sound on May 8 as a two-CD set with a crateful of bonus tracks. The 2003 collaboration was a chance for producers Madlib and the late J Dilla to don the MC cap over each other's beats, with Talib Kweli, Percee P, Guilty Simpson, and Frank-n-Dank making appearances as well.

The first disc of the reissued Champion Sound features bonus tracks "Raw Addict" and "Pillz" at the end, and the second disc is devoted entirely to instrumentals and Madlib remixes, some of which are previously unreleased.

Madlib put his curating skills to work recently on a mix for Time Out and Deaf Dumb & Blind Communications' The Other Side series. The Other Side: Los Angeles is scheduled for a May 8 release and features tracks from such artists as Sun Ra Arkestra, Dabrye, and Madlib himself in various guises. It is the fifth installment in the CD/DVD series, which has and will include mixes by Fischerspooner, Black Strobe, and Ellen Allien.

For the DVD portion of the package, Stones Throw founder Peanut Butter Wolf provides his personal spin on life in L.A. An in-depth interview with Wolf about Stones Throw's tenth anniversary and several music videos from artists on the label's roster are also included.

Champion Sound tracklist:

Disc 1:

01 L.A. to Detroit

02 McNasty Filth [ft. Frank-n-Dank]

03 Nowadayz

04 Champion Sound

05 The Red

06 Heavy

07 Raw Shit [ft. Talib Kweli]

08 The Official

09 The Heist

10 The Mission

11 React [ft. Quasimoto]

12 Strapped [ft. Guilty Simpson]

13 Strip Club

14 The Exclusive [ft. Percee P]

15 Survival Test

16 Starz

17 No Games

18 Raw Addict [bonus track]

19 Pillz [bonus track]

Disc 2:

01 Da Rawkus (Sir Bang Version)

02 The Official (Rap Circle Mix)

03 Heavy (Chronic Mix)

04 Optimos for Dilla (Interlude)

05 Survival Test (Rasta Dub Remix)

06 Champion Sound (Remix)

07 The Mission (Stringed Out Mix)

08 One for Dilla (Interlude)

09 Strapped (Four-4 Mix)

10 McNasty Filth (Instrumental)

11 Nowadayz (Instrumental)

12 Champion Sound (Instrumental)

13 The Red (Instrumental)

14 Heavy (Instrumental)

15 Raw Shit (Instrumental)

16 The Official (Instrumental)

17 The Heist (Instrumental)

18 The Mission (Instrumental)

19 React (Instrumental)

20 Strapped (Instrumental)

21 Strip Club (Instrumental)

22 The Exclusive (Instrumental)

23 Survival Test (Instrumental)

24 Starz (Instrumental)

The Other Side: Los Angeles tracklist:

01 The Lightmen Plus One: "Energy Control Center"

02 Cybertron: "Clear"

03 Dabrye ft. Jay Dee and Phat Kat: "Game Over"

04 Steve Grossman: "Inmate Man"

05 Prince Jazzbo: "Blood Dunza"

06 Sun Ra Arkestra: "Nuclear War"

07 Quasimoto: "Greenery"

08 Outlaw Blues Band: "Deep Gully"

09 Madlib: "Infinity"

10 Leroy “Horsemouth†Wallace: "Herb Vendor"

11 Rhythm Machine: "Freakish Love"

12 Mark Murphy: "Sly"

13 Harris & Orr: "Spread Love"

14 MED ft. Poke: "What It Do"

15 Beat Konducta: "Smog Theme"

16 Jaylib: "Survival Test"

17 Freestyle Fellowship: "Park Bench People"

I'm going to spam this thread up come May the same old shnit I always say about Champion Sound :(

Track 07 on disc 2 sounds :(

'The Mission' is stringed-out to fuck as it is. There is a massive chance I might spray my shorts where I sit when I lay ears on that version.