March Hip Hop Recommendations

Boozy The Clown

I grew up listening to 90's boom-bap.

That's kinda the problem though - people holding up one specific strain of hip-hop as the be all and end all, and using that as a barometer to judge all other types of hip-hop, especially when, as in the case of the boom-bap stuff, you're talking about something that came along nearly 20 years after hip-hop started and at times sounds little like a whole world of music that came before.

There was never really need nor room for all the comparison and over-analysis that exists now.

Nah, there just wasn't the internet. People have always talked about and over-analysed records from day one, and it's not even just a hip-hop thing.

He was probably from the days before Hip Hop was categorised into bite-sized, HMV-friendly, sub-genre's.

Hip Hop's just Hip Hop for the 30-somethings that I know - Way back when it all seemed to be uncommonly good compared to alot of the other music around, the attitude for me and people I knew was - if you like it and it's Hip Hop then that's good enough.

There was never really need nor room for all the comparison and over-analysis that exists now.

I don't think it's necessarily that - I just think that as you get older and less concerned by what other people think, you just tend to like any old shit. I know I do! Singing on Hip Hop tunes, anyone? :huh:

Whatever next, a DJ IQ recommendation?

You're sleepin, listen to 'Kashmere - The Ark' and tell me who else in this country is making beats like that? I smell jealousy, I bet you've always wanted to be a producer, but you're tone deaf or something. That would explain alot.

I don't think it's necessarily that - I just think that as you get older and less concerned by what other people think, you just tend to like any old shit. I know I do! Singing on Hip Hop tunes, anyone? :huh:

In complete honesty ZOK, that lack of concern between me and my peers was founded before my 20's. The only time I'd get emotionally over-protective like the Skate-Hoppers of today is when a song I'd been listening to for a year and a half would get played on Top Of The Pops and even that eventually wore-off.

Two people fighting over one umbrella gets both of your etnies™ hoodies wet etc.

btw, TOTP would only be getting airtime for a possible glimpse of Sabrina, Sinita or possibly Yaz (don't ask).

I hadn't heard any of this 12" but that song there is particularly great. Gutted it finished, actually! What's the story with El Michaels Affair? Everything I've heard has been amazing. They're a better hip-hop "band" than The Roots.

cough

HMV have done the opposite of breaking hip-hop down into sub-genre's. They've invented an imaginery, all-encompassing 'Urban' genre. Basically, Bazooka Tooth by Aesop Rock is pretty much the same sort of music as Toni Braxton or whatever.

I noticed my local fopp has started splitting the hip-hop and r&b into two sections...the hip-hop section seems mad small. :huh:

I've noticed stupidly shrinking hip-hop sections everywhere, too. Too many people talking about the shit on forums, not enough buying it.

It's kind of out of fashion with the kidz these days, mostly because the mainstream is so shite and uninspiring. All that 50/G-Unit shite. Even the other 'event' albums, like Nas or Jay-Z are too samey and cookie-cutter, with their club track, or their track for the ladies, etc. The only guy in the mainstream with anything interesting for the people to see is Kanye West, a comparatively positive artist. I think the guys running labels and marketing albums are doing it wrong. Folk are fed up with all the cliched shite. I don't think hip-hop will ever be able to command a large section in the music shops, but I reckon you'll find most genre's sections shrinking, making way for DVDs.

Insert "The iPod killed hip-hop" cheeseball shite here.

So long as I can find the odd album that I like, I'll be happy enough. There does seem to be less and less every year, though.

Speaking of Ra, keep your ears open for a recent collaboration he's just recorded with the uk's Stig Of Tha Dump.

Word up! Stig was hosting Beer n Rap in Brighton the other night when we were performing, guy's such a legend.

Word up! Stig was hosting Beer n Rap in Brighton the other night when we were performing, guy's such a legend.

What's the name of your rap group?

And La Coka Nostra - yay or nay? Heard some guy Slaine, was okay.

And La Coka Nostra - yay or nay? Heard some guy Slaine, was okay.

I like the stuff I've heard. Big dumb ignorance from Ill Bill, and moronic faux-rebel politics from Everlast over big dumb beats, while they all rock cliched Cypress Hill style t-shirts and weapons. I remember a time in my youth when all the hip-hop I listened to was pretty much all that.

I like the stuff I've heard. Big dumb ignorance from Ill Bill, and moronic faux-rebel politics from Everlast over big dumb beats, while they all rock cliched Cypress Hill style t-shirts and weapons. I remember a time in my youth when all the hip-hop I listened to was pretty much all that.

Yeah, sounds like the idea could be okay if they go really over the top with it all. I imagine Middle America can't wait...

What does it stand for?

Original Scum Bags. It's more of a comedy spin-off group. They tend to just rhyme about doing peoples mums and shopping at Lidl, but they've got some funny punchlines.

Scizzahz is one half, who had a track on the Brighton Hip-Hop festival CD which came free with HHC a few months back, along with my little brother Wiz, who's got Farma G, Lowkey, Mic Assassin etc shouting at him for beats, can't be a bad thing.

Original Scum Bags. It's more of a comedy spin-off group. They tend to just rhyme about doing peoples mums and shopping at Lidl, but they've got some funny punchlines.

So basically the same as this forum, but with less Madvillain references!

You should get some dancers - people miss hip-hop dancers.

So basically the same as this forum, but with less Madvillain references!

Pretty much, although I'd like to hear more Lidl references on this forum, that could be a dope addition. When we were on stage last weekend, Sciz went on with a Lidl bag full of CD's and proceeded to tell everyone we were Lidl's first signing on their new record label.

In regards to the dancing...they've attempted the Biz Markie stylee singing, (check 'Me and My Fiesta' on DJ Horseface's Myspace page) so who knows what's next.