March Hip Hop Recommendations

Boozy The Clown

Fair play, fair play.

In other news, how come I've not seen anyone post about this yet?

270.jpg

Perhaps the series of releases that put BBE on the map, The Beat Generation has spotlighted several of hip-hop's greatest producers, including J. Dilla, Marley Marl, DJ Jazzy Jeff, DJ Spinna, will.i.am, Pete Rock, and King Britt. The final installment will come courtesy of Madlib, who has just put the finishing touches on his contribtuion to the series. The official title and release date has not been released to the public just yet, but it looks like they've already picked out an album cover.

The Beat Generation series of albums include Petestrumentals by Pete Rock, and Welcome 2 Detroit by Dilla. Classics in my opinion. A Madstrumentals or Welcome 2 Oxnard would be appreciated :(

What's Marley Marl's Beat Generation album like, anyone?

What's Marley Marl's Beat Generation album like, anyone?

Its pretty shit, it sounds like he's trying to make beats like Premo on it although the track with Roy Ayers is ok. I picked up the Dj Spinna one recently and thats not too good either.

Surprisingly, the Will.I.Am one is dope.

Dayumm, that's too bad about the Marley Marl shnit. Funnily enough, I've also heard the will.i.am one is pretty good :)

Dunno how much you'll appreciate this wee Talib Kweli clip. He's on some of that preachy self-righteousness, but I don't really mind it when it's as slick as

Dunno how much you'll appreciate this wee Talib Kweli clip. He's on some of that preachy self-righteousness, but I don't really mind it when it's as slick as

Thats some niceness. Looks like he's been raiding Kanye's wardrobe.

Just heard that Suspect Packages are re-releasing Demon Boyz's 'Recognition'! Obviously it's a classic in the UK sense, but breaking it out again if anyone basically likes dope loops and dope rapping, it's a must.

Will I Am can be a dope producer - if you ignore the later Black Eyed Peas stuff. I mean their stuff on BBE was basically backpacker central.

I'm merely making a suggestion that you think of that picture before you wade in with one of your classic quips. It works for me.

After a while you accept that repetition is a staple of these threads as people discover tracks at their own speed . Think yourself lucky you weren't around during the Madvillainy months. (and months and months)

I'm merely making a suggestion that you think of that picture before you wade in with one of your classic quips. It works for me.

After a while you accept that repetition is a staple of these threads as people discover tracks at their own speed . Think yourself lucky you weren't around during the Madvillainy months. (and months and months)

I remember daring to suggest that Madvillainy was a heaping pile of shite - it's basically the indie rap equivalent of hipster music - to much rubbish response.

Repetition's only a staple here as most hip-hop fans are stupidly closed minded.

I remember daring to suggest that Madvillainy was a heaping pile of shite - it's basically the indie rap equivalent of hipster music - to much rubbish response.

Repetition's only a staple here as most hip-hop fans are stupidly closed minded.

I'm not quite sure if you've realised, but you've disappeared up your own arse brother. I've met a few old hip-hop heads like you, I fucking pray I never end up like that.

...and that's serious by the way. You've gone full circle.

I was stood next to some dude in Deal Real one time, who tried to convince me that some 50 Cent and Mary J Blige tune (or whoever the fuck) was amazing. Dude knew his hip-hop, had mad knowledge...I just stood in disgust and watched as he proceded to nod his late 30's mug to that mess of a pop tune.

Either grow up and listen to some Motown and Blues or take your head out of your ass.

You've been like that for years.

Naa man, I'm an uber hip-hop snob. There's a massive difference. These dudes have gone full circle...they've been through the hip-hop snob stage and back round to where they began and have lost all the love for the actual hip-hop sound...you know? That hard snare, that dope looped sample, that raw emcee...

Naa man, I'm an uber hip-hop snob. There's a massive difference. These dudes have gone full circle...they've been through the hip-hop snob stage and back round to where they began and have lost all the love for the actual hip-hop sound...you know? That hard snare, that dope looped sample, that raw emcee...

Dunno mate, listening to Live Convention 81 and not hearing any of your sacred template...

Sorry, let's all talk about Madlib and Edan and J Dilla! Again! Deja vu, it's 200-and, um , something.

To be fair, these three (Madlib and Dilla certainly) are prrrrobably amongst my top 5 topic of schnitzels to share with y'all and, as the Rllmuk Hip-hop Recs' most prolific poster throughout all these months, most repitition could probably be blamed on me. When esar spoke of "Cal Killing It," that was actually some ill word-play on his part.

Anyway, my time here can be summed up like this: Madvillain is classic.

I was stood next to some dude in Deal Real one time,....

He was probably from the days before Hip Hop was categorised into bite-sized, HMV-friendly, sub-genre's.

Hip Hop's just Hip Hop for the 30-somethings that I know - Way back when it all seemed to be uncommonly good compared to alot of the other music around, the attitude for me and people I knew was - if you like it and it's Hip Hop then that's good enough.

There was never really need nor room for all the comparison and over-analysis that exists now.

And that's when ya lost! Seriously, you shopped in Deal Real? Damn...

I don't remember me saying I shopped there? My mate used to work there, I popped in every now and then. Bongo's was the joint, until it closed down...RIP :)