March Hip Hop Recommendations

Boozy The Clown

Nah, the illustration for the psychedelic soul mix was lusher still.

I too have had El-P on loop all weekend. I'm very impressed. I keep noticing little bits of layers and stuff, and great lyrics with each listen. I've got a whole list of 'I'll Sleep When You're Dead' classic moments that I intend to post about. Thing is, they tend to be lost and forgotten with every new classic moment that I discover within it. Great album!

If anyone wants to buy the digital version of El-p's new album, get it from the Def Jux site and you get a free instrumental version of the album as well, you lucky bleeders.

All my vinyl brothers out there get a free Ltd edition 7" with a couple of remixes on it.

So tell me, hip hop people. Am I wrong to love Nelly Furtado's Say it Right? Is Timbaland respected these days?

I don't think in here is the place to look for positive opinions on Timbaland to be honest. Most of the people who post in here are hip-hop purists, and Timbo's sound certainly ain't purely hip-hop. I for one actually admire his work, but he's not really what I look for in hip-hop. As a pop producer, he's making stuff that I can dig. I think his influence on other hip-hop producers is healthy, though. I always maintain that artistic people should look outside the confines of simply being inspired by people who make the exact same sounds as they do. Timbaland has benefited from bringing together facets of European dance music, traditional Asian and African music, and put it all together into something vaguely hip-hop, but with a plasticy, nice clean pop aesthetic.

When he does make hip-hop tracks (most famously for Missy I guess), I appreciate the way he gets experimental with sounds. His quirky stuff, and that of The Neptunes, are some of the very few things in mainstream hip-hop that I believe have much in the way of artistic merit.

Nah, I only ask just to see whether he's 'respected' or not in the fraternity, because I've always thought his stuff has been pretty decent. Clearly a homo, mind.

Plenty of hip-hop fans, certainly hip-hop artists, respect him greatly for reasons that I previously outlined. The problem is hip-hop is such a wide genre that there will be hip-hop fans who hear certain songs and they'll think "That's no hip-hop, why's he getting all the attention rather than MC Get Busy or whatever?"

It's like a heavy drum & bass fan catching feelings because DJ Sammy got to number 1 in the charts or something.

Ahh. That was half what I was wondering really - when it comes to stuff like this, where does pop begin and hip hop end?

With popularity I suppose? It's strange, some of the rawer Neptunes or Timbaland stuff can either sound not too far off an underground artist such as J Dilla, or a bit like older and primitive, drum machine/synth-based 80s hip-hop, yet you don't really see Dilla or Soulsonic Force all over MTV. It's all about hype I guess. Once they get into a position of high exposure, they're obviously going to dumb it down to appeal to the lowest common denominator type majority. That's what happened with Eminem. A talented artist who grew into attracting a stupid majority of people, and dumbing down the inventiveness and the references to sustain that mass appeal. An artist like Timbaland commands respect because, rather than being a guy who dumbs down, he constantly reinvents and is able to dictate musical trends rather than follow them.

Ok, this may cause a stir but I'm yet to feel the new EL-P album :( . I haven't had a proper listen yet but its the same as why I wasn't feeling what I heard from Fantastic Damage, its all a bit too, ermm, industrial?! :( I can understand why people would like 'Smithereens' etc as the beats are in general nothing like you hear anywhere else but its EL-P's voice/flow I'm also having a problem with.

Don't take this as a definite verdict but at the moment I'm having trouble enjoying it and its more like a chore to listen to.

I don't think you are alone here Chewy, a lot of people have the same problem with El-p.

I am one of those people

I have never liked anything by El-p to be honest, I have the 1st Company Flow album but have never managed to listen to it all the way though. I much prefer more soulful Hip-Hop and so for me Black Milks album is my album of the year so far.

I don't have a problem with El-p myself, but its all opinion innit.

talking of which, i'm not sure about the Black Milk album, there are some really good tracks and most of the beats are dope but I find his voice gets a bit irritating over a whole album.

Slug and Murs are nigh impossible to spot unless you read the album credits. I like how he's taken the contributions from his guest stars and just thrown them into a blender in a way that sounds like he possibly sampled and distorted them, or created their contributions himself. I was worried the album would be too adventurous, too "feature-y" and too consciously 'cross-over' or something, but all the music came out as EL-P music. If that makes sense.

I am one of those people

I have never liked anything by El-p to be honest, I have the 1st Company Flow album but have never managed to listen to it all the way though. I much prefer more soulful Hip-Hop and so for me Black Milks album is my album of the year so far.

Did you check out Prodigy's Return of the Mac album (out this week I think)? It's got a sleazy 70s sort of sound to it, courtesy of the Alchemist's production. Here's a good interview with him. I'm surprised that this is the first album he's produced 100% for an artist:

http://www.hiphopgame.com/index2.php3?page=alchemist

EDIT: Am I the only guy here who likes this album? The beats are superb!

Slug and Murs are nigh impossible to spot unless you read the album credits.

You're dead right, but I didn't feel even slightly disappointed, 'cause, well, I had only heard El-P on stuff with Slug or the Handsome Boy Modelling School track, and now I have a new artist that I love to check out properly.

This album is good in an italics kind of way.

Did you check out Prodigy's Return of the Mac album (out this week I think)? It's got a sleazy 70s sort of sound to it, courtesy of the Alchemist's production. Here's a good interview with him. I'm surprised that this is the first album he's produced 100% for an artist:

http://www.hiphopgame.com/index2.php3?page=alchemist

EDIT: Am I the only guy here who likes this album? The beats are superb!

Not yet but I will , though I do wish Prodigy would rap like the old one ever since Jay-Z dissed him he just hasnt been the same. He was so good on Mobb's first 4 albums.

It's all about 'Throw Ya Gunz'....

True indeed...

"Uh oh! Headz up!! Cos we're droppin' some shit..."

I bought 'Triggernommetry' for a quid in Fopp the other day...they had more there for the same price...MC Eiht, Das EFX, that Fort Minor album.

I don't have a problem with El-p myself, but its all opinion innit.

talking of which, i'm not sure about the Black Milk album, there are some really good tracks and most of the beats are dope but I find his voice gets a bit irritating over a whole album.

Nor do I...the Company Flow album is a true classic for me. Though I don't actually own Fantastic Damage and have yet to hear the new one, I like his solo stuff too.

I was feelin' the Black Milk mixtape thing that was posted up here a while back...that wasn't the album though was it?

Esar...what's the deal with the RA The Rugged Man gig? EDIT: Just read on UKHH that it was postponed and is now hopefully happening end of May/beginning of June....with Killah Priest, Chain Of Command, Triple Darkness (?) and Stig....I want to go.

Speaking of Stig...has anyone recommended his Homeless Microphonist EP from last year on here? Sick...