September 04

August 04

July 04

June 04

May 04

April 04

March 04

February 04

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Miscellaneous Classic Material From the Forum's Crates

The Perfect CD for a Hip-Hop Virgin

Recommend Me Some Classic... Hip-Hop! (focusing on Golden Era late 80s/early 90s classics)

Recommend Me Some Modern... Hip-Hop! (mid 90s til the modern era)

Common - Like Water For Chocolate... and 'conscious' hip-hop (recommending jazzier, smoother, socio-political stuff rather than gangsta/street LPs)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links

www.suspect-packages.co.uk

www.scenariorecords.com

www.rootdownrecords.com

www.rapandsoulmailorder.com

www.juno.co.uk

www.picadillyrecords.com

www.turntablelab.com

www.hiphopsite.com

www.ukhh.com

www.skratch-alienz.com

www.sandboxautomatic.com

www.daybydayent.com

www.thegiantpeach.com

www.hiphop-blogs.com/hiphop/

www.digitalgravel.com

Four Elements (old-skool videos)

http://www.hiphopgame.co.uk/audio.php

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recommended Radio Shows

XFM – 11pm-1am Saturdays

Beats FM – 9pm-11pm Saturdays

Hiphopphilosophy.com 24/7 hip hop radio

WeFunk Radio

NEWUGGH Radio

Recommended Internet TV shows

The Breakdown (Yo Mtv Raps mix of interviews and videos)

NEW!BBC1's - The History Of Hip Hop

Classic Hip hop videos

Spinemagazines essential youtube video list

Blogs & Podcasts

Rhymesandbeats.com

Strawp's Props

NEWVenemous Villain Blog

NEWOld Skool video blog

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Videos

Jedi Mind Tricks feat GZA - On The Eve Of War (Tyson Knock outs comp)

Chubb Rock feat PMD & Das EFX - Beef

Redman's Crib

Redman - Put It Down (Timbaland produced 1st single from Red Gone Wild

Redman Interview

Charli Baltimore feat Ghostface - Stand Up

Keith Murray - Get Lifted

McNulty & Bunk - Fuck :lol:

A superb interview with R.A. the Rugged Man to start the month. Amongst other things, he shines a little light on his own thoughts about his ridiculous Vietnam verse.

Sounds like he's also writing an Ego Trip-steezed book about the history of boxing:

So whats the basis of it? Are we going through the history of boxing? What angle are you taking on that?

RA: It's a whole history on boxing. It's done from a more hip youthful eye. Testify Books did that Bobbitto sneaker book and Dana James who owns testify, she was the editor of the Ego Trip books. She wants to do something in that flavor where it's a fun read and real cool with ill photos from different eras. It will be some cool shit rather that some old ass man saying "In 1845 James Fig invented this". We don't want to bore the shit out of the kids, we want a boxing book kids can enjoy too.

:D

I fucking LOVE the Rugged Man's chat.

By the way, would anyone mind uploading an mp3 of the Hell Razah/Tragedy Khadafi/Timbo King track he mentions in the interview? It's the one where RA raps about himself being hip-hop ("I'm Ice Cube before he went Hollywood/I'm Funky 4+1/I'm Beastie Boys doing Licensed to Ill/etc/etc").

I thought I had it, but apparently not. I guess I only streamed it the first time it was floating about these pages.

On Black Milk, some of the ep is dope but i'm not really into the single with Guilty Simpson.

He's not at Dilla's level yet though.

Word. The beauty of Dilla is that he'd rock you that synthed-out ribcage rattler on the same record as he'd deliver some saccharine soul sweetness, and you'd nod your head just like "Hmm, I like this Detroit sound. Dilla's got it locked." It could be that I'm a Jay Dee fan boy, but when I hear these various styles from your Black Milks, or whoever, most of the time I'm like "Hmm, I like how he's doing this ELECTRO style beat," or "This is total jeep music" type shit. None of it feels as natural as it did coming from Dilla's machines. It's like they're ticking boxes. With Dilla, it was the artist first, the style second. Never wack, always dope.

Black Milk's got niceness going on, though. He'll be SUCH a don in the future if he keeps it up.

I feel the Guilt Simps track, but mostly only when GS is on the mic. Yeah, yeah, we always say that Madlib/Dilla era was all about the beats, with strictly meat & potatoes MCs, keeping it simple and unspectacular, but Guilty Simpson always has me impressed. The guy's a pseudo-monster. He did fine on Jaylib, and kept it up on The Shining. He delivers his lyrics well.

Black Milk!

It's bascially better than Dilla.

To echo some other responses..

...Nah.

From what I've heard of Black Milk the Dilla comparisons are pretty superficial.

In a related thought I'd LOVE one of those promo Ruff Draft tapes floating about. I never stopped rocking audio tapes, I love em to pieces, and the combination of one of Dilla's finest works and the format I might well have fetishistic issues with is proving irresistible.

Esar, let us buy yours of you. Dont tell me you haven't got one.

Guest Hannah Smith

Competition to meet Necro, AKA The King Of Death Rap!

From what I've heard of Black Milk the Dilla comparisons are pretty superficial.

Think they're made because Black Milk worked under Dilla for a bit, so more like a mentor thing going on, rather than a specific likeness of sound.

Competition to meet Necro, AKA The King Of Death Rap!

Think they're made because Black Milk worked under Dilla for a bit, so more like a mentor thing going on, rather than a specific likeness of sound.

Is it just me or does that seem like a massive horrible ploy to avoid paying a designer to design the flyer and then the gimps to hand them out? :blink:

Guest Hannah Smith

Is it just me or does that seem like a massive horrible ploy to avoid paying a designer to design the flyer and then the gimps to hand them out? :blink:

Haha, you've gotta admire his thrifty ways though!

By the way, would anyone mind uploading an mp3 of the Hell Razah/Tragedy Khadafi/Timbo King track he mentions in the interview? It's the one where RA raps about himself being hip-hop ("I'm Ice Cube before he went Hollywood/I'm Funky 4+1/I'm Beastie Boys doing Licensed to Ill/etc/etc").

One of my tracks of the moment that is! :) Superb. The album is excellent as well. THat Wiseman album Fusty put up last month is well worth checking out too. :D

I always get the impression that Chewy is on happy pills. He'll probably enjoy this: http://videos.onsmash.com/v/4BxgGSu4mTv33fp9

Absolutely amazing!

Nice old-school sounding remix by J-Love of '9 Milli Bros' by Ghostface

I like.

Cal is killing it up in here.

I wish, i've just got a dodgy cd bootleg that my mate did me.

Cal, have you heard that new Raekwon/El Michaels Affair 12"?

Here's some samples:

PJ's

This Ones For My Baby

In a related thought I'd LOVE one of those promo Ruff Draft tapes floating about. I never stopped rocking audio tapes, I love em to pieces, and the combination of one of Dilla's finest works and the format I might well have fetishistic issues with is proving irresistible.

I got an email the other day from Stones Throw and the cassette will be available to buy the middle of this month from their website, I'm guessing they'll ship worldwide.

Cal, have you heard that new Raekwon/El Michaels Affair 12"?

This Ones For My Baby

I hadn't heard any of this 12" but that song there is particularly great. Gutted it finished, actually! What's the story with El Michaels Affair? Everything I've heard has been amazing. They're a better hip-hop "band" than The Roots.

As for the 'Classic' vid, ain't it ill? LOVE this shot:

krs.jpg

B)

I got an email the other day from Stones Throw and the cassette will be available to buy the middle of this month from their website, I'm guessing they'll ship worldwide.

B) B) B)

Oh, and I ought to say, I've been pummelling that EL-P track 'Flyentology' he did with Trent Reznor. Shitsbananas. Love that squelchy grimey bassline that comes in halfway through the track. I can't wait for the EL-P album. I'm holding off from downloading it or whatever. Will it be worth the wait, all my download cats?

Oh, and I ought to say, I've been pummelling that EL-P track 'Flyentology' he did with Trent Reznor. Shitsbananas. Love that squelchy grimey bassline that comes in halfway through the track. I can't wait for the EL-P album. I'm holding off from downloading it or whatever. Will it be worth the wait, all my download cats?

About two thirds of it is - Drive and IMG and Up All Night being super dope - but there's quite a few meandering moments. His flow sounds much better than before though - less willfully obtuse for the sake of it and much better at getting to the point.

He prolly still reads too many sci-fi books though.

Anyone got that new Sage Francis album yet? It's around, although it has sporadic appearances on Oink 'cause one of the files is apparently messed up.

Not found any reviews or comments yet though, wondering if anyone here had heard it and what they thought...

Not heard it but I ain't a big fan of his anyway. Had his last and was well disappointed!

dj-skully-champion-sounds-cover.jpg

Bought this last week, its my recommendation for all of you to buy this month. Whether you like UK or US, this is superb. Its around 4 years old so hopefully you can pick it up on the cheap like i did (7quid).

This far outweighs any of his other mixtapes I've heard and its packed full of US and UK talent.

Here's the track list.

1. Intro

2. Components Of Competition - (with Unleashed By Science/DJ Skully)

3. Champions Sound Special - (with Headkrack)

4. Take Risks - (with Maylay Sparks)

5. Word Play - (with Royalty/Mikey Starr)

6. Ay Yo(I'm Here Now) - (with Skriblah/Lewis Parker)

7. Escape To Victory - (with Canibus)

8. Turntable Science - (with Celph Titled/DJ Skully)

9. Moving Target - (with The Are/Headkrack)

10. B 4 U Die (The Burial) - (with Joe Buhdha/Terrafirma)

11. Feelings - (with Est'elle)

12. It Feels GOod - (with Harmonic 33/MCM)

13. Junkie For Beatz - (with Danny Breaks)

14. Good To Know - (with Divine Mind/B.I./Loose Kannon/Mikchek/D.T.)

15. This Life - (with LPD)

16. Nouveau Riche - (with Jehst & Tommy Evans)

Seriously, this is DOPE!