Hmmm, I've got a Manga DVD box set somebody bought me with Perfect Blue and Millennium Actress in that I never bothered to open because I saw PB years ago and thought it was a bit silly. Millennium Actress is worth a watch, then?

Hmmm, I've got a Manga DVD box set somebody bought me with Perfect Blue and Millennium Actress in that I never bothered to open because I saw PB years ago and thought it was a bit silly. Millennium Actress is worth a watch, then?

Millennium Actress is brilliant/terrible depending on your tolerance for films in which "nothing happens".* I love it, but I have fielded a complaint about the latter after a showing of Millennium Actress. Admittedly, the person who made that complaint also thinks that The Station Agent is "boring", and declared Neon Genesis Evangelion to be not only "the greatest anime of all time", but "the deepest exploration of human nature that has ever been created". But then again, you must remember that I have stated on several occasions that I quite enjoyed Oblivion, the film that I believe you consider to be the greatest crime against humanity ever perpetrated, so I'm afraid you may not want to trust either of our opinions.

Everyone always forgets Tokyo Godfathers, but it's my favourite Kon film.

Tokyo Godfathers is great, but it's probably my least favourite Kon film - which says more about the quality of the other films than TG itself. It's the film that's easiest to sell, though, lacking the headfuckery of Paprika, the slow pace of Millennium Actress or the brutality of Perfect Blue.

*plenty of things happen. Just not necessarily things which involve Explosions or World-Shattering Events.

• 6 years later...

Decided to buy this on Blu-ray after not having watched it since my last most excellent post in this thread in 2007.  Cannot wait to see it again and will wait till my new TV arrives on the weekend. Oh and I also picked up Perfect Blue. 

Satoshi Kon died way too young. 

Satoshi Kon dying so young really was a fucking tragedy.

Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika... they're all stone cold classics. The animation/production quality may improve from one film to the next, but they're really well directed movies right from the get go. 

It is remarkable how relevant Perfect Blue feels. I caught it in the cinema for the 20th anniversary re-release a few years back and barring the obviously dated portrayal of the internet, the mood and tone are frighteningly accurate to modern online cultures. It's also one of the few films I can think of with an 18 certification that features very little sex or violence, but is absolutely deserving of that certificate. Genuinely unsettling and uncomfortable at times, conveying terror that many 'proper' horror films can only dream of.

It's incredible to think that was his debut. And that he arguably continued to improve as time went by. Paprika is a stunning piece of filmmaking; visually creative, thematically provocative, a resounding success of what cinema can be. If he lived I believe he would stand a likely chance as being the greatest animated filmmaker of all-time, as he's already clawing at the top of that list with only 4 films to his name.

Ooooh I envy you being able to go into it with a relatively fresh perspective. I still reckon Kon is leagues ahead of most filmmakers in terms of his editing, let alone animated filmmakers! The opening of Perfect Blue deftly cuts between 4 different sequences so effortlessly, it's unparalleled.

7 hours ago, Benny said:

Paranoia Agent is also one of the best animated series ever made.

Now that’s a good point cos I bounced of it hard when it was first broadcast. It just didn’t appeal or connect to me as much of Kon’s other work did. I was only 28. 

I think I need to revisit it Tbh.