Justice League

Been watching the Snyder cut on Sky. Took me five separate sittings to get through all 232 minutes of it.

It has a few nice moments, but it’s mostly pap, and worse than even the worst of the 23 MCU films.

Not sure what all the hoohaa was about getting this version made.

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

Been watching the Snyder cut on Sky. Took me five separate sittings to get through all 232 minutes of it.

It has a few nice moments, but it’s mostly pap, and worse than even the worst of the 23 MCU films.

Not sure what all the hoohaa was about getting this version made.

Where does it rank among the DCEU for you?

A friend of mine is a massive film buff (albeit someone who tends to focus on English language films) and he loves this to bits and had previously told me that I needed to watch the Director's cut of both Watchmen and Dawn of Justice to get the full picture.

I feel as if I don't really need to watch the film based on the reviews I've seen and my own initial feelings about the original release, but he's the kind of person that won't listen to a word I say if I haven't seen the damn thing. I'm debating whether I'm willing to put up with four hours of shit just so I can tell him he's got bad taste in superhero films. Considering I've known him for close to 30 years now and he's one of my closest friends, it's probably not worth the four hours nor the argument that would result.

I've only seen the director's cut of Dawn of Justice and it's just tedious. I can understand why the studio felt there needed to be less of it and I can understand why that would only make it worse.

13 hours ago, Talvalin said:

A friend of mine is a massive film buff (albeit someone who tends to focus on English language films) and he loves this to bits and had previously told me that I needed to watch the Director's cut of both Watchmen and Dawn of Justice to get the full picture.

I feel as if I don't really need to watch the film based on the reviews I've seen and my own initial feelings about the original release, but he's the kind of person that won't listen to a word I say if I haven't seen the damn thing. I'm debating whether I'm willing to put up with four hours of shit just so I can tell him he's got bad taste in superhero films. Considering I've known him for close to 30 years now and he's one of my closest friends, it's probably not worth the four hours nor the argument that would result.

Well, I thought it was pretty great as far as dumb action hero films go. I heavily dislike 99% of what Marvel (Disney) put out. A vast improvement over the original version.

I always like Snyder's cutaways as he goes into the visions/backstories/memories of the characters in his films, so those bits helped push it along for me.

Some top Batmobile action, as well. Might watch again.

On 16/04/2021 at 07:27, Talvalin said:

There is a type of 'buff'for whom longer = better. They need to watch the original and Director's Cut of Alien.

That's a good topic. "Which Director's Cuts are bobbins?".

Cinema Paradiso being the worst example, for me. A totally unnecessary tampering of a masterpiece.

57 minutes ago, Fallows said:

Cinema Paradiso being the worst example, for me. A totally unnecessary tampering of a masterpiece.

Donnie Darko

1 hour ago, Fallows said:

The director's cut of "Leon" adds a load of worthless bloat that makes it a much poorer film.

I've never seen Apocalypse Now Redux, but I watched The Final Cut a few weeks ago, so it's the first time I've seen that French plantation sequence that everyone's spent the last 20 years complaining about:

Spoiler

I liked some bits of that plantation scene: the shadowy introduction is done well, the dinner conversation is pretty interesting, and it's good to give a certain dead character a funeral. But the main problem with the sequence is its placement; it comes across as a peaceful respite for the characters in the middle of their grim endurance test. (Also, I'm not sure why the sex scene is there, other than as an excuse for boobs.)

I liked the film's other prominent addition, where the squad steals Kilgore's surfboard and he uses those deafening helicopter loudspeakers to plead with them to give it back. After watching it, I read a few comments from people who hated that because it undermined the BADASS nature of the character. (e.g. in the comments on Glenn Kenny's RogerEbert.com review, someone complained "begging for the surfboard back just emasculated the man", and someone else replies that Redux and the Final Cut "transform[ed] Duvall's brilliant force of nature to a pathetic clown...poor, bullied".) But surely the whole point is to reiterate that this outwardly badass guy is really insecure about one thing, and as a military leader he's got some very bizarre priorities - which is not at all inconsistent with his portrayal in the theatrical cut?

So overall Apocalypse Now's Final Cut is another extended version that's not as good as the shorter theatrical cut. I'd like to watch Apocalypse Now Redux as well at some point, just out of curiosity. But for future viewings I'll probably stick to the theatrical cut.

On 16/04/2021 at 09:27, Talvalin said:

I watched it yesterday and today in 3 sittings, plus one rewind because spoilers perhaps they switched over to some totally different bit without explanation and I thought I’d missed something. So I’ve wasted 7 hours watching both versions and they are both pretty shitty. Maybe this one is a bit better but it’s still like someone said, worse than the worst MCU movies. 

Superman and Lois is also pretty shitty but I enjoy it somewhat, like I did with 90s Lois and Clark. 

I cannot imagine why or how anyone would or could champion this as being particularly good or worth watching.

I don’t have a good enough memory about films to have ever noticed a difference between a normal and directors cut, so am going to watch this just because I’m bound to finally spot something which I’m absolutely sure wasn’t in the original version.

On 18/04/2021 at 08:21, Fallows said:

We've had it before actually. 

My pick is a controversial one, which is the Extended Cuts of the Lord of the Ring Trilogy.

It is true that almost ever additional scene in there is really cool and interesting - which might give a false impression - but the structure and the pace of the films are completely ruined with all this extra stuff in there... especially as it's giving constant repeat information, I think possibly by design as Peter Jackson could cut lesser scenes and keep vital plot details intact in other scenes. There's so much repeat set up for Boromir for example.    

On 18/04/2021 at 09:37, Ran said:

The director's cut of "Leon" adds a load of worthless bloat that makes it a much poorer film.

Yes, it's so so so bad. Never have I seen a film go from excellent to awful so hard as that director's cut. 

3 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

It is true that almost ever additional scene in there is really cool and interesting - which might give a false impression - but the structure and the pace of the films are completely ruined with all this extra stuff in there... especially as it's giving constant repeat information, I think possibly by design as Peter Jackson could cut lesser scenes and keep vital plot details intact in other scenes.

Yep, this is how most big films are made. You shoot for all of the versions of the movie you might want and tell the story in the editing room.

I get the sense that Snyder doesn’t understand this. I often wonder if he thinks his job as a storyteller is just literally to get the script and storyboards on to celluloid in the most effective way, without regard for how it functions. That the best version of the movie is the whole script, expertly put together, and not this whole chemical reaction in its own right. He seems really surprised that a beat like “save Martha” landed comedic, given that it’s not what was on the page and wasn’t the effect he slathered on the screen.

Edit - I’ve had fun lately watching familiar movies and seeing how they were written and shot so that this or that thing isn’t so deeply intertwined with everything else that you couldn’t move things around or cut them or substitute them with other scenes that accomplish the same purpose.

Edit 2 - Of course you can go too far this direction, I watched the Apollo 18 special features and it was obvious that they didn’t know how they wanted certain major plot points to go, and shot for about five different storylines.

8 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

My pick is a controversial one, which is the Extended Cuts of the Lord of the Ring Trilogy.

It is true that almost ever additional scene in there is really cool and interesting - which might give a false impression - but the structure and the pace of the films are completely ruined with all this extra stuff in there...

I was thinking of coming back to edit my post with the LotR extended editions, but I forgot.

I agree 100%. Some of those scenes are a bit dodgy as well, tbh. I can't quite put any words to it but they stand out quite a bit. Almost 'TV-like' in quality.

Anyway, back to Justice League. Me and the boy (3) watched the final battle segment and there's absolutely no way that those Batmobile segments aren't some of the best ever put to screen. That shot that he fires out of the cannon with the empty shell bouncing off the ground, the tumbling chimney that he reverses under while shooting all the flying baddies, then he crashes or something and mid-flip ejects out of the thing so that he can get to some on-foot battery. Snyder channeling Kamiya 100% there, I don't care if the rest of the film is a mess. That 90 seconds alone is far better than any wisecrack-riddled BS Marvel have ever put out, and that includes Thomas Jane's Punisher, which is the only MCU Marvel film I can enjoy.

18 minutes ago, Fallows said:

I was thinking of coming back to edit my post with the LotR extended editions, but I forgot.

I agree 100%. Some of those scenes are a bit dodgy as well, tbh. I can't quite put any words to it but they stand out quite a bit. Almost 'TV-like' in quality.

Anyway, back to Justice League. Me and the boy (3) watched the final battle segment and there's absolutely no way that those Batmobile segments aren't some of the best ever put to screen. That shot that he fires out of the cannon with the empty shell bouncing off the ground, the tumbling chimney that he reverses under while shooting all the flying baddies, then he crashes or something and mid-flip ejects out of the thing so that he can get to some on-foot battery. Snyder channeling Kamiya 100% there, I don't care if the rest of the film is a mess. That 90 seconds alone is far better than any wisecrack-riddled BS Marvel have ever put out, and that includes Thomas Jane's Punisher, which is the only MCU film I can enjoy.

Punisher isn’t an MCU movie.