Justice League

toonfool

I still didn't like cyborg tbf. Maybe it's his crappy CGI. Doesn't look like they spent an extra buck on him. Where as steppenwolfs CGI was top tier. The 4k close up shots of his face were awesome.

5 hours ago, Don Rosco said:

Whatever its merits as a game, as a storyline, I fucking hated it. 

I can see that Snyder would like it. It’s such a grimdark, violent, juvenile story.

5 hours ago, Chindie said:

And if you despise Snyder, this is Snyder turned to 11. Avoid if you don't get on with his work.

The thing I really hate about Snyder’s work is the tone and the message. Man of Steel is a film so deeply saturated in Randian ideas that it’s unbearable. It’s a film about how people who have things must deserve them because they have them. It’s about how someone with massive privilege shouldn’t have to do anything they don’t want to with it, because whatever they do will be correct because they have the power to do it. It’s a genuinely disgusting film with repulsive things to say. 

BvS is dick measuring contest the movie. It’s about two men who are fundamentally convinced they are right no matter how much evidence they are presented with. Every single character is a horrible, hateful cunt. 

Visionary Director Zack Snyder presents: Zack Snyder’s Justice League: The Zack Snyder Cut has a hopeful tone. It’s fundamentally about people overcoming their differences to support each other and form a community. It’s still got a weird vibe where some people are just born special and only what they think and do matters. But it’s not completely saturated in disgusting ideas and people who I hate on principle. 

It’s actually kind of funny that for someone so obsessed with serious stories where people deal with bad situations, Snyder is so bad at that. The serious movies where the characters get knocked down are shite, and the hopeful finale that shouldn’t suit him at all is ok.

I wasn't planning watch this but my wife wanted to.  Did the first half and have the rest to look forward tonight. All the extra run time really doesn't seem to add a lot so far.  

I liked Cyborg sending Wonder Woman a computer message, and having all the font choices the cyberverse has to offer, chooses the creepy kidnapper newspaper cuttings font.  That way he'll cleverly disguise his identity on the computer! Which she already knows and he knows she knows.  :doh:

As my son is doing film studies, we felt duty bound to watch this moment in history. Not just a directors cut, but one released after an online social media campaign. Not just recut, but with additional scenes added after the initial film has sunk out of memory. 

Well, despite all of that, it's better than the memory of the original. There are still some dumb bits. Mum driving across America for two hours, for someone else to randomly turn up, then she reappears at the end after presumably selling all of her stuff in the u-haul van 1000s of miles away for reasons. 

But BatFleck is really good and I would love to see a movie with him in. Superman's top lip is no longer blurry. Wonder Women is still the best character, but only because she had the origin film to flesh her out. . 

And this is my big take away from all this. This film really highlights how good the MCU approach of building the franchise from the ground up was. Individual films with hints of the team up really worked.

Cyborg goes from all star MVP to moping around a dark flat complaining  about being a monster to being a tesco value iron man. Sure he gets more back story, but no enough to make me care anymore about him. He spends too long being Kevin the teenager to allow me to like him. When he does "Hero up" 

The flash wants to walk dogs, and watch lots of TV, but needs friends. So he's a hero now. 

Those two still feel rushed. 

But I can't lie, it is good. Until Leto turns up to remind me just how good Heath Ledger was. 

I'd never pay money for it. Now TV 7 day trial is perfect. And I can see Birds of Prey now. And I don't see how this is going to drive HBOmax subs. But as a moment in history, I can say I was there and it didn't disappoint. 

3 missing u haul vans out of 5

Why the fuck can’t Cyborg turn his bloody lights off? He’s dressed all incognito in a hoodie with two big glowing lights on his face.

Also, when he meets Wonder Woman he, for some unknown reason, turns all of the lights off in the street I’m guessing so that he can make absolutely sure that literally everybody notices him fly in for their “secret” rendezvous.

2 hours ago, Mr.Crowley said:

Well, that was much better that it had any right to. Probably the best of the new DC movies. That end-credits song almost made me attack the tv though, that lady assaulted “Halllelujah”.

The songs throughout are so poorly used I can't tell if they're bad or not.

54 minutes ago, monkeydog said:

The songs throughout are so poorly used I can't tell if they're bad or not.

It has some major tone and pacing problems. A lot of the music choices just did not fit and stuck out like a sore thumb.

I think there's an okay 1.5hr movie in there if you cut out most of the rubbish. For example, what purpose did the WW London scene serve? I can't remember any relevance to the greater "plot". Why was so much time spent talking about how Batman's dumb plane thing wanted to fly? Just make it fly. I did not give a single fuck when they finally got it working. What was the pay off there? The superman resurrection was so clumsy too. 

I didn't see the original version of the movie, how could it have been any worse than this nonsense?

17 minutes ago, freezycold said:

I didn't see the original version of the movie, how could it have been any worse than this nonsense?

The original is borderline unwatchable. A truly, truly awful mashed together mix of marvel tropes and wheadon snarky humour / quips. 

I personally like how different the DC films feel compared to the Marvel stuff, they feel aimed at an older audience, where marvel aims for a far broader audience, there's room for both in my view. DC has stumbled more but Marvel has its fair share of duds. Fox was the worst offender with their more recent X-Men efforts. 

In the end these are supposed to be popcorn blockbuster audience pleasers. There's no way this version of justice League would have ever made it to the cinema. Gives me hope the streaming services will allow directors to experiment more, free of time constraints and hitting a box office percentage

I quite like watching films on my iPad Pro, so thought this would be a perfect way for me to watch this considering the ratio. But the crappy Now TV app puts it in letterbox, than 4:3, so you’re watching it as a square box in the middle of the screen which looked awful. So I watched it through my PS5 instead.

The 5 star reviews are truly baffling. It’s clearly better than the original cut, and looks spectacular in some places, but in just about every other area it falls down as a film. I just felt no emotional engagement with any of the characters. A combination of very average acting and terrible script probably didn’t help.

I’d give it a very generous 2.5/5.

12 minutes ago, freezycold said:

Uh, it is?

Really? They feel so juvenile to me. Like what a teen thinks is mature.

This has hit the nail on the head. This is the movie 15 year old me would have made if I'd been given the keys to the kingdom.

13 minutes ago, freezycold said:

Uh, it is?

Really? They feel so juvenile to me. Like what a teen thinks is mature.

Absolutely. Is this more mature than The Winter Soldier for example?

The blood and gore feels so out of place, and it always seems that way in all these DC movies. There were several moments in this where I just thought “oh, that’s grim. What did that add?”

Also what? Batman just straight up machine guns bad guys to bits now?

I disagree that blood looks out of place. It only looks out of place because we've been conditioned to seeing bloodless superhero films the past 20 years to make them family friendly.

If a God slams you into a wall, there's gonna be blood.

For me it's not so much the result, but the act that caused it in the first place and how that fits into the broader vibe of the movie.

I'm baffled at how much they spent on this garbage, and THAT was the result?

53 minutes ago, MansizeRooster said:

Just signed up to the NowTV free trial to watch this, and find out that it's in 4:3 aspect ratio?!?!?

How is that not being reported as one of the most mental things about this film?

and in 720p without NowTV Boost to... 1080p.

3 hours ago, Spartan said:

I personally like how different the DC films feel compared to the Marvel stuff, they feel aimed at an older audience, where marvel aims for a far broader audience

Teenage boys is not an older audience than everyone. These movies are the most immature thing on earth, right down to Snyder gleefully boasting about Batman saying fuck likes he’s a twelve year old.

Quite enjoyed that and thought it was good for what it was, bit slow and clunky in places, def needed editing down in places. Most shocking thing was it's a completely different movie no idea how Warner thought that wasn't good enough release and decided to hack it to pieces into that mess of a Whedon film.

I’m gonna watch this again tonight.

So much happens, it’s difficult to digest it all. 

I’ve heard rumours that based on the reaction to this, Zak Snyder may not be completely done with JL. 

There is still the flashback film coming that includes Batfleck and Keaton Batman and Aquaman was both a critical and commercial success. 

If anything, Justice League in the end was a seminal moment in both cinematic and comic history.

We did it!

I think a lot of the positive reaction comes from the fact that the bar was set so low. The film is still in many ways a mess. The last thing we need is more Snyder DC films. Give someone else the job.

It is baffling that they had this much of a film at the time of Snyder’s family tragedy, yet still bought in another director. Surely it just needed a good editor and someone from Snyder’s team overseeing.

34 minutes ago, probotector said:

If anything, Justice League in the end was a seminal moment in both cinematic and comic history.

It’s really not. It might be an important moment in the timeline of fan entitlement and pressure. It’s an average film at best, that is only impressive in that Snyder made the two worst comic book films ever with some of the best characters and actors and this is serviceable. It’s literally meaningless to comics, this exact story has been done in the comics multiple times at a quality that blows this out of the water.

8 minutes ago, Bazjam said:

I think a lot of the positive reaction comes from the fact that the bar was set so low. The film is still in many ways a mess. The last thing we need is more Snyder DC films. Give someone else the job.

It is baffling that they had this much of a film at the time of Snyder’s family tragedy, yet still bought in another director. Surely it just needed a good editor and someone from Snyder’s team overseeing.

A hundred percent agreed on not giving him back the reigns. They already watched him fail twice and saw the spin-offs tank. And creatively there’s little to be impressed by.

I guess that how much of it was “done”. A lot of the effects work will have been done by the Whedon version.