Justice League

toonfool

I liked Aflek as Batman. 

I liked Miller as Flash. 

Wonder Woman was probably my favourite. 

Cyborg was most improved by the new edit. 

Aquaman didn't have enough to do. 

Snyder just doesn't get Superman or Lois Lane. 

Steppenwolf was an improvement but still not great. 

Overall it's a bit of a mess (Martian Manhunter!?) but entertaining. 

It feels like a better, more interesting film was floating in the ether but never quite got realised. 

I'd happily watch the distopian, alternate-future sequel which feels like it could be pretty interesting (but in reality would probably be a disappointment). 

Just finished it. 4 hours straight through.  I can't quite believe what I watched having seen the 2017 version. This is one of the most self indulgence films I've seen, possibly ever.

And I absolutely adored it. It's got it's faults and it's far from perfect but my word, wow, seriously what an improvement. Wheadons version is absolutely dire in comparison

Now run a seven day free trial, thanks Now that was fantastic! Real intro and story arcs for the heroes, a better villain and the whole shebang elevated with a smattering of mythos. Makes the Josstice League look even more like the travesty it was.

Watched it all last night in 2 sittings. Thought it was okay, enjoyable fluff.

The worst thing was getting a British person to discuss distance in "city blocks", which always annoys me in Hollywood films.

Finished this morning.

Snyder's best attempt at a DC movie. Cyborg actually has a story arc this time rather than just "sad robot man".

Snyder still really doesn't understand Superman though, huh?

Spoiler

When he's battering Steppenwolf on the floor Supes looks absolutely raging. I thought he was going to turn into the villain at that point.

This could've easily been edited down into Avengers Endgame length though. Just play all the slow motion shots at normal speed and done.

1 hour ago, Purin said:

Watched it all last night in 2 sittings. Thought it was okay, enjoyable fluff.

The worst thing was getting a British person to discuss distance in "city blocks", which always annoys me in Hollywood films.

This annoyed me too. Especially as London isn't even built in blocks. 

The film is full of silly holes like this. 

At one point, they have to go back to the Batcave so Bruce can use his computer to get his satellite to track a thermal signature. 

Why can't Cyborg just communicate with the satellite right there and then? 

Also, they superheated the core of the motherbox so it's the hottest thing on the planet. But the surface of the motherbox remains cool. In which case, the motherbox is insulated enough that it wouldn't show up on a thermal image anyway. 

None of this really matters of course, but it does contribute to the feeling that it's all a bit silly.

The fact they also needed an earlier scene where cyborgs dad was watching someone heat up a bit of completely different stuff with the laser to set up him doing the thing that makes no sense is even funnier.

Well....That was bloody excellent. It's a completely different film from the Wheedon one. The special effects (excluding the amazon world, and Cyborg which are still awful.) are really top notch. Steppenwolf looks great now, and has more depth as a villain. It's narratively stronger, it makes me hyped for a sequel which may never come. 

I dunno guys, I'm surprised. It's good. Well done Mr Snyder.

It does seem to be 2 movies in one. The first 2hrs are pretty rough and all over the place.

It’s pretty obvious most of the effort was put into the 2nd half as the colour grading and direction seems to jump back to Hollywood blockbuster levels.

One thing I couldn’t get past was it not being widescreen. The composition felt off and less cinematic.

Snyder knows how to frame a shot though but I miss rule of thirds! 

See, I thought it would bother me but i completely forgot about the aspect ratio within a few seconds. I found it made me focus entirely as to what was onscreen. Everything is centre of frame and imposing in stature.

1 hour ago, MDY said:

Uh Barry.. Batman bought a bank to pay off Superman's farm.. I think he would cough up to get your dad a half-decent lawyer..

Yeah but that was to correct ‘a mistake’.

He didn’t try to brutally murder the Flash

1 hour ago, SaintAnselm said:

After seeing that in the special thanks section of the credits Ethan Van Sciver has been included, I now have yet another reason to avoid ever watching this film.

The credits screenshot I've seen has him listed alongside lots of other comics writers and artists, including Geoff Johns (for whom Snyder and Ray Fisher clearly have little love). So here's almost certainly there purely for his comics contributions.

If you want to go down the gossipy rabbit hole, there's stuff going round Twitter and The Mary Sue and Reddit about how Snyder appeared on a livestream with the Comicsgate group Geeks & Gamers. He gave a disclaimer that he's not affiliated with/endorsing them, and they and Ethan Van Sciver have interpreted this as a betrayal by him. :lol:

Regardless of whatever funds they've helped raise for suicide awareness, Geeks & Gamers are by-and-large, absolutely terrible individuals. 

Whether it was from Snyder himself, or mandated by WB, his shade-throwing was delicious. 

1 hour ago, Steve McQueef said:

Regardless of whatever funds they've helped raise for suicide awareness, Geeks & Gamers are by-and-large, absolutely terrible individuals. 

Whether it was from Snyder himself, or mandated by WB, his shade-throwing was delicious. 

I don't know too much about this and I don't want to subject myself to what I'll find out googling it but shit like this is wrong on so many levels. 

30F5924C-D96C-45A9-93D9-0916212BEDAE.thumb.jpeg.598fee76289dd5c491f7946d13c5ebe7.jpeg

I think that's all I will ever need to know about them really. 

Going back to the movie, a little rumour going around the comics boards is that WB / DC may explore "The Epilogue" with a one-shot or mini-series overseen by Synder.

Watched this over the last two nights. It's ok. It's at least coherent, which is obviously a big improvement on the other one. It's fairly watchable really. Even Jared Leto manages to not embarrass himself too much. 

It could still be so much tighter, but it's clear Snyder just decided to leave everything in, I guess as he thought it was his last shot at a DC film. 

He is just a non-stop bad idea generator though. Cyborg's suit looks awful, same with Steppenwolf for the same reasons, the dialogue in places is just horrendously undercooked (WW exchange with the schoolgirl in the bank, after exploding someone, it's just so basic and artless). There's a million and one other ham fisted bits, but overall i'm kind of pleased that he managed to finish this giant project he had to shelve due to a horrible tragedy in a way that isn't a complete trainwreck.

19 minutes ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

Going back to the movie, a little rumour going around the comics boards is that WB / DC may explore "The Epilogue" with a one-shot or mini-series overseen by Synder.

Spoiler

Isn't that basically Injustice? Joker murders Lois Lane, Superman flips out and creates a global fascist regime, Batman resists? Civil War on all the steroids they can gather.

8 hours ago, SeanR said:

I didn’t make it past the 4:3 CGI Warner brothers water tower.

Reveal hidden contents

It was late, and I was tired

cruel irony!

E7D5F275-DB7F-4A97-9189-D0EB5FF8C209.jpeg.c70a0ed1cbf32918b9e12123cc728283.jpeg

which means my £60 for a year deal ends soon...

33 minutes ago, SeanR said:

cruel irony!

E7D5F275-DB7F-4A97-9189-D0EB5FF8C209.jpeg.c70a0ed1cbf32918b9e12123cc728283.jpeg

which means my £60 for a year deal ends soon...

A fucking daily vaccine. No wonder we've suddenly lost 5 million of the things....

2 hours ago, Don Rosco said:

Watched this over the last two nights. It's ok. It's at least coherent, which is obviously a big improvement on the other one. It's fairly watchable really. Even Jared Leto manages to not embarrass himself too much. 

It could still be so much tighter, but it's clear Snyder just decided to leave everything in, I guess as he thought it was his last shot at a DC film. 

He is just a non-stop bad idea generator though. Cyborg's suit looks awful, same with Steppenwolf for the same reasons, the dialogue in places is just horrendously undercooked (WW exchange with the schoolgirl in the bank, after exploding someone, it's just so basic and artless). There's a million and one other ham fisted bits, but overall i'm kind of pleased that he managed to finish this giant project he had to shelve due to a horrible tragedy in a way that isn't a complete trainwreck.

Hide contents

Isn't that basically Injustice? Joker murders Lois Lane, Superman flips out and creates a global fascist regime, Batman resists? Civil War on all the steroids they can gather.

Yeah pretty much the same, in the first version you had that more so with the Superman Police force etc. 

18 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Still think it's an incredibly weird choice to base your film adaptation/massive connected universe on an alternate world beat-em-up videogame from 2013 that was ugly as sin and not that good.

Whatever its merits as a game, as a storyline, I fucking hated it. 

Saw this today and yep not bad at all, if obviously long.

Must have pissed off the actors having filmed all this to have the film JW made get them all manner of grief. Hope they enjoy the positive opinions this is getting.

Watched last night in one sitting.

It's a better film than Whedon's take. It's still not good, but it's better. 

It's still got a multitude of issues - bizarre tone swerving, appalling CG in places, absolutely bottom rung plotting, bizarre bits of indulgence etc etc - but the additions and changes do bring something more to the table. Steppenwolf is markedly less shit, given a stronger motivation and redesign that looks a bit better. Cyborg is given far more development and remarkably ends up as a not entirely terrible character as a result. The Flash gets a proper intro etc etc.

The additions aren't all to the film's benefit. The epilogue is appalling. It's absolutely dreadful. It's badly shot, badly written, and does absolutely nothing of interest or intrigue. The limited gore doesn't work (and makes the already tonally mad Wonder Woman intro even worse), the resurrection is resolved through luck, a cameo is just... pure fan service indulgence.

You can also tell it's not the finished article. It's a polished assembly cut. There's clearly scenes that needed more editing, or additional shots or lines added. One added moment has Steppenwolf have a revelation, but it just happens. Cyborg has a scene that is an incredibly clunky explanation of why he's powerful and, for want of better way of putting it, 'cool'. And the new CGI is evidently rushed/unfinished in places - brief/fast moving/wide shots, particularly involving Cyborg, have the distinct feeling of 'that'll' do.

But it is better. I don't hate the Whedon version but it was obviously a bodged fudge of a thing, a rushed clash of styles. This is better. It's more consistent in its tone, it's clearly the work of a single vision rather than the hatchet and glue version we got before. It's got better development of it's characters. The performances are better. It doesn't need to be 4 hours long and it's severely indulgent, but it's alright.

It does, however, suggest that this film was always destined to be a mess. It's basically trying to do too much whilst also being done in a style that is indulgent -all that slo-mo and beauty shots eats up time, and it eats up time in which you also need to establish a villain, a plot, intros for 3 characters and development of 6, go through the act structure within that plot and resolve it. There's not a version of this script that comes out as a good film. So this is probably the best you'll get.

And if you despise Snyder, this is Snyder turned to 11. Avoid if you don't get on with his work.

It is better, but... Everything that’s still wrong with it plus Alfred calling batman “master Wayne” the whole time.

im halfway through 

Edited by SeanR