Justice League

toonfool

The only thing I'd have kept from the Whedon version is...

Spoiler

The scene where they're on the batwing, and Aquaman starts being very candid about how scared he is, not realising Diana has sneaked her lasso of truth around his ankle. 

That's it, just that one bit. 

5 hours ago, probotector said:

Wonder Woman is actually is very violent character. She murders and maims a lot in the comics.

Not even sure where the beta no kill for Batman came from. 

Huh? Wtf you talking about? 

I've not read loads of Wonder Woman but only know of her killing once in Infinite Crisis and not saying who cos spoilers and boy was it a shock. So no idea where you are getting that. 

Batman doesn't kill still the case in DC continuity.  Yes he may have killed Joker at the end of killing joke but thats not explicit and not part of continuity. 

1 hour ago, probotector said:

I think people are too quick to call people trolls or trolling.

I know we’re all getting old in here, most of his in our late 30s and 40s, but we need to remember we’re here to have fun and discuss topics we find interesting. 

Take a chill pill @Talvalin, have some fun, lighten up. We’re in a comic book movie thread not UK politics! 

Trolling is trolling when you just post flat out bullshit to get a response. Irrespective of what thread it is in. Or what the topic is. 

I took the bait this time cos I have a spare 10mins mid meetings 

14 minutes ago, Thor said:

Hide contents

The scene where they're on the batwing, and Aquaman starts being very candid about how scared he is, not realising Diana has sneaked her lasso of truth around his ankle. 

Was the Aquaman/Diana very short scene sat by the truck talking in Whedons version? I thought that was nice and would liked more of that rather than more cgi slow mo

4 hours ago, Stigweard said:

I agree that final 3rd is so much better, well paced and delivered compared to the 2017 version. It actually uses the characters properly to too overcome the bad guys.

Re the endings 

Hide contents

It really is like a series of future ideas just mashed up and thrown at us.

The Luther one should have been the after credit scene. Feels like the set up to a stand alone Batman film rather than anything to do Darkseid invading.

The dream sequence looks like a really cool idea but where does it come from? Is it just Batman deep down still not trusting Superman despite knowing they needed him here. I also agree Letos Joker was so much better this time around.

Those teasers have got me actually  got me wanting to see a series of follow ups now. The balls on Synder to do that too, knowing people will demand it and if this sells well, he might very well get it too.

There’s a document floating around that explains what the general outline for getting to the dream sequence was:

as 

Spoiler

The Superman there is evil, brainwashed by Darkseid and working for him which is also implied in Cyborg’s premonitions in the Snyder cut. Essentially Lois would have died, Superman gets brainwashed by the anti-life equation, most of the JLA are killed, that ruined future happens, flash travels back in time so Lois doesn’t die, they avert that future. 

2 hours ago, probotector said:

Jeremy Irons is the best Alfred.

Sad we will never get a stand alone Batfleck.

The haters won that battle :( 

I think Affleck or D.C. bailed on that? I don’t recall any negative responses to that movie being planned. I hate Man of Steel and BvS but was fully on board for that.

2 hours ago, Hexx said:

p

Hide contents

It was the vaporise a guy she could easily incapacitate and then turning to give a motivational line to the school girl that most grated with me 

“When I’m older, can I brutally murder people in front of children like you?”

”NO I WAS BORN WITH SUPER POWERS DUMBASS ENJOY BEING AN ACCOUNTANT LOL”

15 minutes ago, Thor said:

Hide contents

Yeah I missed that scene, it’s the best thing in Whedon’s version.

2 hours ago, probotector said:

Wonder Woman is actually is very violent character. She murders and maims a lot in the comics.

Not even sure where the beta no kill for Batman came from. 

No, Wonder Woman is a person who truly loves all people. She doesn't do what she does out of a sense of duty or a personal tragedy. She does it because she loves the people of the world. Wonder Woman is a leader, a diplomat, a warrior, and the ultimate caring mother all rolled into one person. She detests violence and killing, but she fully understands that sometimes conflict is inevitable. And she'll use her skills and abilities to fight towards peace.

1 hour ago, probotector said:

I think people are too quick to call people trolls or trolling.

I know we’re all getting old in here, most of his in our late 30s and 40s, but we need to remember we’re here to have fun and discuss topics we find interesting. 

Take a chill pill @Talvalin, have some fun, lighten up. We’re in a comic book movie thread not UK politics! 

But you are a troll. 

Sky has the UHD version up but not Atmos or HDR.

So I downloaded it with DV & Atmos instead. Just got to agree on a four hour viewing window with the wife.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Reveal hidden contents

A scene that was transferred from Whedon's unmade Wonder Woman screenplay:

Screenshot_20210318-174513_resize_86.jpg.47116f106aefcc6b257094dcd44621ed.jpg

And the version that ended up in the JL theatrical cut:

Arthur Curry: Honestly... I think we're gonna be dead way before that. And you know what? I don't mind. It's an honorable end. But we've gotta shut Steppenwolf down. Superman's a no-show.

[to Bruce]

Arthur Curry: You've got no powers, no offense.

[to Victor]

Arthur Curry: This guy might be working for the enemy. We don't know.

[to Barry]

Arthur Curry: You're tripping over your feet, and mine...

[to Diana]

Arthur Curry: Whuf, you're gorgeous, and fierce... and strong. I know we went to war with the Amazons, but that was before my time. You know what? I don't wanna die. I'm young. There's shit that I wanna do. I just feel like... I didn't really embrace the sea or the land. I've been a loner my whole life. But being part of something bigger, like this... maybe I'm scared because... I'm meant to...

[Bruce smiles and gestures to Arthur, who looks down and realizes he's sitting on Diana's Golden Lasso. Irritably, he pulls it out from under his butt and tosses it back to her]

Diana Prince: I think that was beautiful.

Arthur Curry: [as Barry starts to speak] You say a word about this, you'll meet every piranha I know.

Barry Allen: ...I honestly didn't hear anything after "we're all gonna die."

I really enjoyed that. 

Hadn't watched the original cut for a while but didn't miss the scenes like being stuck in the house etc.

Oh, man all the Epilogue was great i would have loved to have seen them do more with that. 

On 18/03/2021 at 18:17, Arn Ironjaw said:

I really enjoyed that. 

Hadn't watched the original cut for a while but didn't miss the scenes like being stuck in the house etc.

Oh, man all the Epilogue was great i would have loved to have seen them do more with that. 

It's annoying isn't it. He left us with an awesome idea that we might not get.

Also, IF and it's a big IF this get a sequel, surely Shazam would be involved?

3 hours ago, Pug said:

Sky has the UHD version up but not Atmos or HDR.

So I downloaded it with DV & Atmos instead. Just got to agree on a four hour viewing window with the wife.

FFS, only had HD this morning.

Right I'm not finished yet still got an hour and a bit 

What a long movie. Anyway there are some good things to say about this and mainly it's the action sequences that Whedon recognised were good and then made a shit film around them. 

Lois is done well. I'd rather she did more than just mourn Clark tbh but that's what the story gives us. 

The Flash is done nicely. But hmmm Ezra what did you do? 

It's clear Ray Fisher is quite rightly pissed off at what didn't get seen with his character. 

More to come when it's done. 

3 chapters in and.... This is actually OK. 

Much better than I thought it would be. I still think they should have went with the original plan and release it as a 4 or 5 part series. 

I mean it wouldnt be hard to improve on the original as its a 1/5 film but it has some functional character develpment and some cool new scenes but it's still shit in a lot of other ways that can't be fixed. Will need to finish it off tomorrow. Its watchable and I don't totally hate it so far. 

About halfway through...

Spoiler

I hope they explain Martha all of a sudden turning into a green alien. Because if you're not clued up on your comics then the average Joe is going to be very confused.

Just finished it. My main take always are: 

1. first 2hrs are rough and a complete waste time.

2. Batman said “fuck”

3. Bruce Wayne doesn’t have a random woman a sleep next to him when he wakes up. I guess that’s character growth

I look forward to a 3hr fan made version that combines the best bits to this and joss version.

Hard to say which version is better but Man of Steel and Batman V Superman were both better than either version of Justice League.

At least Batman wasn’t a joke in this version and did as much as the others in the final fight. The Batmobile sequence being the highlight. 

I genuinely want to see a sequel this.

Just finished it and.....it’s alright.  Good in places, does some stuff better, does some worse.  Not sure if I would say it’s better overal than the Wheldon version.  Probably? There’s not much in it though, and I think it could be tightened up a lot.

First, the non spoilery stuff.

Steppenwolf is so much better in this. I’m not convinced by the shiny armour but they’ve spent more time making his face more expressive and more importantly he looks more convincing, like an actual being in the world rather than a lump of cgi.  He still looks like that sometimes, but less than before.  More than that though, he actually has some semblance of character and motivation in this.

The action scenes are, on the whole, better.  The midway scene where they first come together isn’t too different shots wise but adds enough to feel quite different overall.  This is generally the case with most of the action, it’s similar but generally expanded on.  It’s also more brutal, there’s a notable increase in blood, especially in the atlantean scenes.  The bank scene with Diana still has some really stupid looking bits though.

The cyborg stuff is better than previous, but only because there was nothing there before. I thought it was ok, but very heavy handed and one scene was pretty cringey I though.

Spoiler

The bit where his dad is telling him about his powers and he’s imagining all this stuff to represent it...then he just seems to give a random woman a load of money? Not sure if I missed something there.

I also didn’t like Aquaman as much in this. He doesn’t seem to have as much charisma in this, it’s like he’s alway in a huff with everyone.

Some of it felt pretty redundant and there was a lot of stuff that just felt like it was put in not because it made sense, but because it gave a nice shot or similar - like the woman who started singing near the start.

Miller is great as Flash.  One thing I really liked is how in one of the slow mo saving people scenes, rather than just move their body super quick out of the way of stuff (which I’ve always thought would end up more likely to injure someone) he just gentley guides them to a safe position.

Spoilery stuff, and this is mainly stuff I didn’t like.

They removed one of my favourite scenes, and changed the resurrection aftermath for the worse

Spoiler

There’s a scene between Bruce and Diana that comes after they take a bit of a kicking and there’s tension between the two, and Bruce goes off to his room to bandage himself up.  Diana walks past and sees him hurt and goes to help.  It’s a small scene but I liked it a lot, because it reminds her of the fact he’s not super human like them, and the toll his body his taking to do this, something she doesn’t have to think about.

In the Wheldon cut, it’s very much considered that Supes may not come back right, and they have a plan in case that happens (Lois). Here they’re just like “itll be fiiiiiiiine” and it’s pure luck she happens to be near.

One of the cameo characters is just badly done

Spoiler

Martian manhunter pretends to be Ma Kent to go see Lois....ok?  And then just pops up at Bruce’s house and he’s totally chil with it? Just weird interactions that add nothing.

Overall, it has some good bits, it fixed some stuff, but has a lot of fluff still, and actually made some bits worse.  It’s typical Snyder, lots of style, but the structure could do with some work.

I watched the original release version of this out of curiosity tonight. It's edited more coherently than the new one but it's amazing how cheap-looking and dull it is. Snyder's cut might be a bit all over the place for half its running time but at least it holds your attention visually and in terms of narrative. And Steppenwolf is a completely different, much better character.