Justice League

15 hours ago, PK said:

I've found the first hour and 45 of this a strange watch, I can't really put my finger on why. Each scene in isolation is sort of fine, but it feels like a lot of them are in a slightly wrong order. It's not completely nonsensical but the structure is just slightly wrong enough for it to not feel like a real film, if that makes sense?

I suppose it might just be a byproduct of being edited to be a TV series, but I can't imagine watching it episodically would be much better. Every ten minutes or so it crescendos with either a slow motion sequence, a massive explosion, or the sort of dialogue exchange you'd expect at the end of a character's full arc. And then it resets. It's weird!

Almost like it’s an assembly cut.

2 hours ago, Broker said:

This may be an Aqua man thing but I thought it was quite funny when Willem Dafoe told him to take up his mother’s trident then handed him something with five points on the end.

I’m pretty sure that exact same shit happens in Aquaman. (Doesn’t her spear get destroyed in that film though?)

Edit - Oh wait, you were referring to that film, not that character in this film.

26 minutes ago, probotector said:

I just want epic slow motion shots of Batman and some black suited Superman and dumb dialogue that sounds meaningful and deep. 

There’s not as much slow motion Batman. Wonder Woman and Flash get all the super slow shots.

24 minutes ago, robotattack said:

It's on NowTV now (or Now now as they're going through a rebranding process). Runtime is 3h 52m. There's no intro from Snyder. Has anything else been cut?

Edit: Not 3:52. That would be one hell of an edit. :facepalm:

The Snyder into on the copy I have is only 30 seconds, though it does sound like it cuts in quite abruptly. 8 minutes of credits at the end and two minutes of logos at the start they’re not counting maybe?

3 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I’m pretty sure that exact same shit happens in Aquaman. (Doesn’t her spear get destroyed in that film though?)

Edit - Oh wait, you were referring to that film, not that character in this film.

No I’m talking about this film, I was just wondering if it was explained in Aquaman because I haven’t seen that. 

Finished it.

its alright. Tempted to say you could easily skip straight to part 5 and not miss anything. And skip the epilogue which is just sequel bait for god know how many movies.

i do think it’s quite nice he got to do this, it does feel like some kind of closure on the whole thing. But at the same time I hope there isn’t any more... although I’m sure there’s already a petition for a sequel.

1 hour ago, Broker said:

Parts five and six are quite good, especially five. The pacing is way better than the theatrical version and I think it’s genuinely the best Snyder’s Superman has ever been. 

The ending though:

Hide contents

There must have been a better way to organise that, it’s the Return of the King but with endless sequel teases. Battle ends, Darkseid teaser, series of epilogues often implying more story to come, Luthor/Deathstroke teaser, long dream sequence for cool looking sequel we’ll never get (though with the similarities between teasers and trailers it’s probably worth remembering how much better Snyder is at advertising than delivering), awkward Martian Manhunter scene which reminds us about Darkseid because it’s been fifteen minutes since that ending. Like the beginning, it feels a bit randomly stuck together, probably could have done with one of the scenes after the credits.

I’m also confused as to what the imagined sequel would be? Is it the movie where Luthor and Deathstroke go after Batman? Or the movie where Darkseid invades? Or the post apocalypse road trip movie with evil Superman as the villain? I guess maybe the Luthor bit would’ve linked into Affleck’s Batman movie that never got made. 

Leto was pretty decent in his scene though. 

I agree that final 3rd is so much better, well paced and delivered compared to the 2017 version. It actually uses the characters properly to too overcome the bad guys.

Re the endings 

Spoiler

It really is like a series of future ideas just mashed up and thrown at us.

The Luther one should have been the after credit scene. Feels like the set up to a stand alone Batman film rather than anything to do Darkseid invading.

The dream sequence looks like a really cool idea but where does it come from? Is it just Batman deep down still not trusting Superman despite knowing they needed him here. I also agree Letos Joker was so much better this time around.

Those teasers have got me actually  got me wanting to see a series of follow ups now. The balls on Synder to do that too, knowing people will demand it and if this sells well, he might very well get it too.

1 hour ago, robotattack said:

It's on NowTV now (or Now now as they're going through a rebranding process). Runtime is 3h 52m. There's no intro from Snyder. Has anything else been cut?

Edit: Not 3:52. That would be one hell of an edit. :facepalm:

The dreaded PAL speedup? I thought that was long gone apart from DVDs. The last DVD I watched was Zombieland. During the intro with For Whom the Bell Tolls James Hetfield sounded like one of Alvin and the Chipmonks.

Is NowTV still only 720p?

All TV broadcasts in the UK (and streaming services based on them) are still 50Hz and still do PAL speed-up.

(This leads to oddities like the Virgin V6 box running in 50Hz even when you load Netflix or whatever, so you get 60Hz content frame-skipped down to 50Hz.)

Well, thinking about it, it’s rare that anyone ever gets to look at the whole assembly cut of a movie with finished effects. A dedicated fan could just as easily do a 2-hour memeworthy train wreck cut as a 2-hour cinema cut.

Turns out I have a free 7 day trial of Now so looks like I won't have to don the old parrot and eyepatch for this one anymore!

Will write my thoughts this weekend as I'll probably have to watch it in multiple parts.

I’ve noticed that  no one has touched on the subplot that has been added to the Snyder cut that’s is prob the best one

Spoiler

Alfreds quest to either make tea or ensure that the tea is made correctly - nearly every scene he is in he turns into mrs Doyle - go on go go on have a cup of tea

Half an hour watched on my lunch break the way Snyder intended....on a Google Pixel phone.

Spoiler

That Wonder Woman bank thing was terrible. And not just the special effects. Did we really need to see the heroic Wonder Woman slam a terrorists head into the wall and have their brains leaking out on the floor?

He’s basically trolling and laughing in your face about it while saying he’s not trolling. Pushing a tiny bit further every so often. Some day, he will go too far and people will ask why he wasn’t stopped sooner. 

24 minutes ago, probotector said:

Jeremy Irons is the best Alfred.

Sad we will never get a stand alone Batfleck.

The haters won that battle :( 

Jeremy Irons is the best anything.

Although I'll immediately contradict myself by saying I prefer Michael Gough. The wee bit in Batman '89 with Bruce Wayne's champagne glass is gold.

21 minutes ago, Gambit said:

Half an hour watched on my lunch break the way Snyder intended....on a Google Pixel phone.

Hide contents

That Wonder Woman bank thing was terrible. And not just the special effects. Did we really need to see the heroic Wonder Woman slam a terrorists head into the wall and have their brains leaking out on the floor?

p

Spoiler

It was the vaporise a guy she could easily incapacitate and then turning to give a motivational line to the school girl that most grated with me 

14 minutes ago, Hexx said:

Reveal hidden contents

It was the vaporise a guy she could easily incapacitate and then turning to give a motivational line to the school girl that most grated with me 

Yeah, that bit was like something out of a parody. :lol:

The more I think about this I don't think it's particularly bad superhero film, it just has very long stretches which are edited in a really baffling way. I'm quite interested to see the version they originally released now, because I've heard it's appalling and this certainly wasn't that bad.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

He’s basically trolling and laughing in your face about it while saying he’s not trolling. Pushing a tiny bit further every so often. Some day, he will go too far and people will ask why he wasn’t stopped sooner. 

I do get tired of being accused of trolling so maybe every now and again I do take subtle jabs at my detractors.

The only bits I was taking the piss about in this thread were about TVs being able to stretch 4:3 into widescreen and waiting to watch it on streaming on Now TV as Snyder intended that were clearly more tongue in cheek than “trolling”. :lol:

37 minutes ago, probotector said:

Superhero’s are toxic masculinity embodied and Batman is probably the worst/best example :blah:

That's about as good a defense as using the N word in a Tarantino thread and saying that it's fine because Tarantino uses that word a lot in his films.

Just because something is liked and problematic does not mean that it is acceptable to use those problematic parts in general discourse, thus serving to normalise it.

For someone who claims not be a troll, you're doing a piss poor job of posting like a normal adult.

I think people are too quick to call people trolls or trolling.

I know we’re all getting old in here, most of his in our late 30s and 40s, but we need to remember we’re here to have fun and discuss topics we find interesting. 

Take a chill pill @Talvalin, have some fun, lighten up. We’re in a comic book movie thread not UK politics! 

Finished it and the final chapters were much much better than the Wheddon version and I enjoyed the epilogues as well so I’m glad I slogged through the first 2.5 hours (although I was o my half watching).

To be fair to Snyder, a very well edited, theatrical version of that (2.5 hours max) would have been far superior to the Wheddon version. Potentially the best of the DCU films (discounting Shazam as a more comedy film that sits outside the rest) although that isn’t high praise.

Its hard to rate it its 4 hour form though as it’s far too long, a lot of the flaws of the original remain especially the first half and it still doesn’t work following up the two Superman films as it can’t get away from the concept that Batman, Wonder Woman And Superman we’re best friends forever before he died and that Supes himself wasn’t a miserable mopey bastard smashing up buildings rather than a great hero.

But this did have some good future stuff  and didn’t have what felt like 4 hours of some random family escaping Parademons so Od day 4 joe version better than Wheddon version even if it was 4 hours.

2 minutes ago, Ork1927 said:

Finished it and the final chapters were much much better than the Wheddon version and I enjoyed the epilogues as well so I’m glad I slogged through the first 2.5 hours (although I was o my half watching).

To be fair to Snyder, a very well edited, theatrical version of that (2.5 hours max) would have been far superior to the Wheddon version. Potentially the best of the DCU films (discounting Shazam as a more comedy film that sits outside the rest) although that isn’t high praise.

Its hard to rate it its 4 hour form though as it’s far too long, a lot of the flaws of the original remain especially the first half and it still doesn’t work following up the two Superman films as it can’t get away from the concept that Batman, Wonder Woman And Superman we’re best friends forever before he died and that Supes himself wasn’t a miserable mopey bastard smashing up buildings rather than a great hero.

But this did have some good future stuff  and didn’t have what felt like 4 hours of some random family escaping Parademons so Od day 4 joe version better than Wheddon version even if it was 4 hours.

Not a fair comparison, Whedon should be given 70 million extra and the same amount of time as Snyder to produce his definite cut.

#releasethewhedoncut